Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2014, 04:16 PM   #16

If you can get all of that stuff for cheap, it would be good to have, especially the CDI.

If you decide to increase displacement in the future, there's no boring necessary. Replacement cylinders in larger sizes are available. BTW, I'm still using the auto-choke carb, and it has been terrific.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-19-2014, 06:40 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
... still using the auto-choke carb, and it has been terrific.
Check these http://www.motorfans.com.cn/bbs/t_101940.htm if auto-choke f***ed

Old 08-19-2014, 10:28 PM   #18

The auto choke works fine for me too.

Old 08-20-2014, 09:31 AM   #19

Hmm, ok then good, I had read a couple of "upgrade your atv performance" type posts in my initial research of them and the carb was something that was suggested as a replacement. And this ATV has already had the electric throttle wires replaced as it's way newer than the rest of the wiring harness. If it's not needed really for jet replacement ease, bigger barrel etc then I'll leave it. Hurray one less thing!

Thanks!
Jim

2007 Shineray Speedee 150, 1P57QMJ: Needs: starter rewired, exhaust connected, cleaned up, ignition switch simplified, new seat and lights, new front and back racks.

There's no such thing as a free puppy or motorcycle. I think I have caught the fever from y'all.

Old 08-20-2014, 09:36 AM   #20

CDI question and pic

Ok so speaking of upgrades and the CDI. The one on this bike has a wire missing, I think. Does this mean something? Like it was just removed or was it never there? I am still learning what is normal and what's not. Is this CDI/wiring normal?

Thanks!
Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CDI possibly missing redblack wire .jpg (39.7 KB, 303 views)

2007 Shineray Speedee 150, 1P57QMJ: Needs: starter rewired, exhaust connected, cleaned up, ignition switch simplified, new seat and lights, new front and back racks.

There's no such thing as a free puppy or motorcycle. I think I have caught the fever from y'all.

Old 08-20-2014, 09:39 AM   #21

That motorfans link was cool, those types of posts always teach me how fearless to be with stuff. Very cool.

Thanks HB

Old 08-20-2014, 10:51 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankme View Post
Ok so speaking of upgrades and the CDI. The one on this bike has a wire missing, I think. Does this mean something? Like it was just removed or was it never there? I am still learning what is normal and what's not. Is this CDI/wiring normal?

Thanks!
Jim
That wire typically goes to a kill switch, but your quad might be wired to simply cut power. Don't worry about it for now.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-20-2014, 05:55 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankme View Post
wire missing, I think. Does this mean something? ...
DC CDi ? http://www.mobile01.com/topicdetail.php?f=266&t=2234502

Old 08-20-2014, 10:36 PM   #24

I'm very grateful that you take the time to share these links with us, but I can't make any sense if it. Lines like these confuse me:

"DC CDI no power to change the same can step on hair .."

"I really never thought such a change can admire the landlord!"

It seems that someone found an adapter to change from an AC CDI to a DC CDI, but I'm really not sure.

Old 08-20-2014, 11:41 PM   #25

F*** the communist. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simplif...ese_characters
NO one use "handicapped" for most important matter (1st month Celebration / wedding / funeral) in my hometown.
發 isn't 髮. "Handicapped" shares the SAME 发 (踩 step 發 start). The upper part of 髮 is "hair" related. Even semi-illiterate can get the idea by 1st look.
---
楼主 [樓主] http://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E6%A5%BC%E4%B8%BB

Old 08-21-2014, 01:01 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
That wire typically goes to a kill switch, but your quad might be wired to simply cut power. Don't worry about it for now.
Ok, is a kill switch typically found on an ATV like a bike? On the Zong it's on the right handlebar, where is it on ATVs? Having one for the wife on the handlebar she can mash if she panics might be good forethought.

At the moment I am following the 12v current through the wiring harness having some good luck patching things here and there getting closer to a start.

I am also going to post the pic of the left controls as well for some help on what everything does-or did.

For what's up with the CDI--I'll see if I can pull any markings off of it [CDI] to see if it is a DC model. It's be replaced with a better one either way but I am concerned if there's a wire missing from the harness for this. What's the purpose of having a DC CDI vs an AC CDI anyway?

I'll totally ignore it for now, I just need to get hers going, and order a fresh harness that'll take it's time getting here.

Thanks!!
Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg left controls.jpg (27.8 KB, 224 views)

Old 08-21-2014, 01:13 AM   #27

The push button is the headlight on / off switch.

This is a good opportunity to discuss what appears to be a signal light switch. That was the original intent of the design on a street bike, and the signals were activated by sliding the switch either left or right, and then pressing the switch in once to cancel.

It is a kill switch in this application. Slide the switch either left or right to kill the engine, and then press it in once to prepare it for starting again. If you fail to press the switch in, the engine will crank until the battery dies, without ever firing.

That switch has puzzled many of us, including me. I actually removed the flywheel to examine the stator, since I couldn't get any spark when my quad was brand new. I accidentally figured out how it worked, well after I had torn everything apart. Live and learn.

Old 08-21-2014, 01:49 AM   #28

DC

---
AC

Old 08-21-2014, 02:00 AM   #29

Thanks HB. I saved those pics for future reference.

Old 08-21-2014, 10:37 AM   #30

I love diagrams! Thanks HB.

Weldangrind: I think I was on that trail. I opened up that control and saw the black/white wires which made no sense as those are kill switch colors and that the starter was all connected through it as well. Now, from a previous picture does this mean probably that it is disconnected because of it's missing other end at the CDI? I will continue hunting voltages and test these controls too. And start a wire map...

Woohoo for learning about stuffs!! Thanks again all!
Jim