Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2021, 02:37 PM   #31

Did you Have to change out the swing Arm?

Did you Have to change out the swing Arm? Can you provide a link to the shock you used?

I finally got around to installing the Brozz swing arm and Fast Ace shock on my Hawk. I had planned to lower the bike during this process, which is why I went with a 280mm shock.

I will have to confirm just how much lower the bike is now from where it was before, but if I had to guess, I got close to a 2.75-3" drop out back with it.

This one is for you Oneleggedrider.

So let's get as close to a before picture as I can. Obviously the angles are not quite the same, but you can see how drastic the change is.

Now, before you go thinking that this was all too drastic, keep in mind a few things. One, that shock in the bottom picture was longer than the stock one. Two, on it's side stand there was zero sag in said longer shock. Three, my bike was actually leaning too far over on the side stand. Borderline the stand itself was almost the balance point.

Now, amazingly, the bike sits at a decent angle. My VFR leans about this far over on its stand too.

The only issue I may run into is if I decide to run a smaller front wheel diameter, which I have considered going to a 19" front.

As far as the shock goes. Surprisingly, the 1000lb/in spring rate works out really well. I did have to dial in a bit of spring preload to get the rider sag right, but even with me leaping and landing on the seat with my full weight a few times it never once bottomed out. The even better part of this Fast Ace shock is that the damping adjustments actually work. The previous shock had about 4 useable settings, at best. This shock has 14 that range from controlled pogo stick, to too freaking hard. I am at 8 clicks from the softest setting and its perfectly controlled. Even my carb points down a bit now, and it was level before. We will have to see if I need to adjust the float height a little, but I think it should be alright. This is the preload currently set where I need it for 2.5 inches of rider sag, which is only about an inch down from where it was out of the box.

Some concluding notes as far as this whole swing arm swap are concerned. I have to remove at least 2 to 4 links from my chain. Right now the only way to get anything resembling proper chain tension means I have to slide the adjusters all the way back. So the brozz swing arm is just a tad shorter in its axle positioning vs. the Hawk.

If you are considering this swap, but don't want to raise or lower the ride height too drastically you would want to get a rear shock around 300-310mm in length.

As a whole, the riding position is a LOT more comfortable. My entire behind can not utilize the seat and I don't feel like I am going to slide forward into the tank anymore. Sure, the handling will be a bit more lazy now, but this isn't really a sport bike anyway.[/QUOTE]

Old 02-18-2021, 11:19 PM   #32

A quick google search netted me this. Hopefully it is the right one for all those asking.

I really love this mod. Never thought something like this could be so easy for the Hawk. Love seeing there is still innovation for our old stand-by.

https://www.amazon.com/FASTACE-280MM.../dp/B007R6T3J4

Old 02-19-2021, 03:22 AM   #33

The shock I used is now listed as a 275mm shock, but it's the same thing. Part number is BS22AR with a 1000lb spring. I don't tend to link things because the listings change or go dead so frequently and quickly, but this is it (for now). https://www.amazon.com/275mm-FASTACE...69780136&psc=1

If you want to use a shock that short you will want to do the swing arm, otherwise you will have even more of a rear drop. The Brozz swing arm lower shock mount position is higher than the Hawks, so it provides lift when using the same length shock.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 02-19-2021, 07:51 AM   #34

Looks like someone's got a couple different profiles lol.
2011 Honda Foreman 500ES 4x4
2001 Polaris Scrambler 400