Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2017, 12:00 PM   #1

CSC TT250 front rotor warped - Anyone else??

We got our TT 250 over the weekend from a local owner near us and it only had 100 miles on it. I have noticed that the front brake rotor appears to be warped. One can feel the lever pulsing as you apply the brake at speed and coming to a stop you can feel the brake pulsing as it slows to a stop.

I'm talking to CSC about replacing it under warranty right now but didn't know if anyone else has experienced this with their TT250 (or similar bikes). I find it hard to believe that the PO could have warped a rotor in 100 miles to this point. It could also be that since it is not a semi-floating disc any slight warpage would be felt sooner than on a floating disc setup.

Anyone else had warped rotors out of the box?

Old 03-21-2017, 12:17 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomservo View Post
We got our TT 250 over the weekend from a local owner near us and it only had 100 miles on it. I have noticed that the front brake rotor appears to be warped. One can feel the lever pulsing as you apply the brake at speed and coming to a stop you can feel the brake pulsing as it slows to a stop.

I'm talking to CSC about replacing it under warranty right now but didn't know if anyone else has experienced this with their TT250 (or similar bikes). I find it hard to believe that the PO could have warped a rotor in 100 miles to this point. It could also be that since it is not a semi-floating disc any slight warpage would be felt sooner than on a floating disc setup.

Anyone else had warped rotors out of the box?
I have not heard of a warped TT250 rotor...BUT I have heard of a ton of new TT250 owners when we were first receiving the first shipments that had rotors covered in gunk. Try cleaning it real well first with some BrakeKleen or I used Awesome from $ Tree. They don't look bad but I pulled a bunch of black gunk off of it. Try this, then ride it for a while to seat the pads.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 03-21-2017, 12:23 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
I have not heard of a warped TT250 rotor...BUT I have heard of a ton of new TT250 owners when we were first receiving the first shipments that had rotors covered in gunk. Try cleaning it real well first with some BrakeKleen or I used Awesome from $ Tree. They don't look bad but I pulled a bunch of black gunk off of it. Try this, then ride it for a while to seat the pads.
Thanks, I've already tried dressing the rotors. The fact that the you can actually see the brake lever moving would indicate a warped rotor. If it had a slick spot it would pulse coming to stop but it wouldn't move the lever.

Old 03-21-2017, 12:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomservo View Post
Thanks, I've already tried dressing the rotors. The fact that the you can actually see the brake lever moving would indicate a warped rotor. If it had a slick spot it would pulse coming to stop but it wouldn't move the lever.
Wow! First one that I've heard of then. It would be nice to shop around and see what aftermarket options are out there. Spudrider just put up a couple aftermarket rotors for the RX3. That bike has had some common front rotor warp issues.

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 03-21-2017, 12:38 PM   #5

And to be clear I'm not trying to lay any specific blame on CSC. It could be that the PO did something to it. It just appears to have been run very little and maybe I'm biased by years of major manufacturer bikes to think that it would take more than 100 miles to do this.

Plus I had a an issue with warped rotors last year on my Ninja 1000 so maybe I'm "cursed"
http://www.motorcyclewords.com/2016/...bit-of-a-rant/

Old 03-21-2017, 02:14 PM   #6

My front rotor is ever so slightly warped, but not enough for me to worry about. It's been that way from the beginning.

I know how bad bad is from my ninja where I had a seriously bad rear rotor for a long time.

Old 03-21-2017, 02:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullybiker View Post
My front rotor is ever so slightly warped, but not enough for me to worry about. It's been that way from the beginning.

I know how bad bad is from my ninja where I had a seriously bad rear rotor for a long time.
And this one doesn't feel dangerous. I can stop just fine BUT it will likely get worse over time and my wear the pads out early.

Old 03-21-2017, 02:42 PM   #8

If it is already warped that badly you probably dont have a choice other than replacing it. The front rotor is only 39$ from csc so its not too painful. My rotors have been perfect thus far but one of the first things I did when breaking in the bike was to bed the pads in properly (10 quick accelerations to 40mph or so then hard braking to 10mph). You could give that a shot but it sounds like the damage is done

Old 03-21-2017, 02:55 PM   #9

Make sure all the bolts are torqued down evenly. You may even try taking it off and rotating it 90* and reinstalling. Worth a try.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 03-21-2017, 04:59 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
All new bikes are shipped with a coating on their rotors to keep them from corroding during shipment. It is usually cleaned off as part of the PDI when the bikes are uncrated.

Old 03-22-2017, 11:00 AM   #11

Head Scratching Depends on who's doing the PDI???

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerWFarrier View Post
All new bikes are shipped with a coating on their rotors to keep them from corroding during shipment. It is usually cleaned off as part of the PDI when the bikes are uncrated.
Maybe the person assigned to prepping the rotors went on break and couldn't remember where he left off prior to the break????????

Old 03-22-2017, 11:34 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerWFarrier View Post
Generally cosmoline or something similar....but I have yet to have any coating on any of my CB rotors I've uncrated with the exception of the TT250. Fortunately, one of the first folks here who received one gave us a heads up. You couldn't really even see it!, unlike a thick coating of cosmoline.

2009 Q Link XP 200