Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Media/Reviews/Classifieds/Sponsors > Reviews
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2014, 01:03 PM   #1

Paradox Outdoor Rain Jacket

I've been on the prowl for a decent light weight, easy to don, rain jacket for the days when I get dumped on and I think I found it. The Paradox Outdoors Vital Rain Jacket. I'm pretty impressed with it. http://www.paradoxoutdoor.com/mum0019-2769.html The website lists it as a suit but I was able to score just the jacket at Costco last week for around $30US. I've found that it compresses quite small for packing, can be worn over my mesh jacket when it's raining, or under the mesh jacket on cool days as an insulating layer. Most importantly, it breathes well. Like most rain gear, it can start to feel clammy against bare skin, but once you're moving, the clamminess goes away.

I have several different rain jackets, ranging from a high zoot LL Bean Goretex job to a decades old Black Sierra pull over, with a few questionable choices in between. Most were chosen for bicycling or backpacking and don't transition well to motorcycling. The Bean jacket would have been a first choice, but it does not pack well. The Black Sierra, well let's just say it shouldn't be worn in public anymore.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 09-01-2014, 08:20 PM   #2

You decided against the pants? It would seem that they would be as useful when on a bike in a downpour.

I wonder how long the fabric coating will last. Once it wears off, it's not likely to be waterproof.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-01-2014, 09:07 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
You decided against the pants? It would seem that they would be as useful when on a bike in a downpour.

I wonder how long the fabric coating will last. Once it wears off, it's not likely to be waterproof.
It was the jacket only at Costco, no pants. The pants shown on the website are akin to running/cycling tights and I don't think they'd be conducive to motorcycling. So, I still need to find overpants.

A good question on the longevity. According to the care instructions, when the coating becomes less effective, throw it in the dryer for about 30 minutes on medium to rejuvenate the coating. We shall see.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 09-02-2014, 12:54 AM   #4

I'll look forward to your field test reports. $30 is a fair price.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-17-2014, 02:33 AM   #5

I also await your field test report.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894