Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pure Dirt

Old 08-21-2013, 05:45 PM   #16

Ok, More updates.
The other day we got a bunch of shiny new parts:

Some of the plastic got busted up so we decided to go for a KTM look. We also have a new exhaust pipe, rear shock, billet gas cap and a new 24mm carb.

The original pipe has a catalytic convertor and is now leaking and the new carb matches the 24mm manifold up from the original non-adjustable 22mm carb.

More Carb pics:

If anyone knows what kind of jets the carb takes, that would be a huge help. the carb casting has "taotao" on it and the main jet looks like a common type with a hex shape on it. Not sure, but we will probably have to jet it to match his 125 motor.
It might be some time before I update again, but I'll advise of any progress as we start modifying the bike.

The frame and swingarm will be heavily modified to properly accommodate the new shock.
If any one has a line on 16" and 19" rim and spoke kit, we need to bump up his wheel sizes as he has become too big for the stock 12/14 setup.

Old 08-21-2013, 05:48 PM   #17

more updates on Oil.
Just wanted to let everyone know we picked up some synthetic motorcycle oil and changed out the crappy oil that came in it. Makes a difference in the sound and it runs smoother too. We just bought the cheapest motorcycle synthetic available at our local Canadian Tire, well worth it.

Old 08-22-2013, 12:39 AM   #18

Perhaps you can just buy larger rims like I did. Much easier than relacing. Where did you get the shiny new bits from?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-22-2013, 08:12 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Perhaps you can just buy larger rims like I did. Much easier than relacing. Where did you get the shiny new bits from?
Been looking for just the rims and spokes but no luck with those, where do get yours from ?
I got our "shiny bits" all from PCCmotor. Shipping however was pretty expensive. I normally try and time a trip to the US and have my packages shipped to a mail service, the savings on shipping alone can pay the cost of fuel.

Old 08-22-2013, 09:40 PM   #20

I got mine from a local importer, but I think he's long gone. Have you tried eBay?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-23-2013, 11:43 PM   #21

Quote:
I got mine from a local importer, but I think he's long gone. Have you tried eBay?
Had a look on 'Bay and found used KTM SX85 bare rims for about $30.00 the spoke count matches up so I think we will have a go at lacing the bigger rims to the stock hubs. It's kind of ironic those rims fit the bill as my Son chose to go with orange plastic to get the KTM look when we bought replacement fenders.

Old 09-15-2014, 03:36 PM   #22

Some updates on the Frame mods, they are now complete.
new Tabs for the racing shock from 1/4" plate, way beefier than stock:

new 45 degree frame supports:

getting ready to weld the 45 degree supports, also shows the top hoop already extended and welded on.

new shock mounts getting ready to weld:

Welded Frame, this also shows the top section which was lengthened and relocated 2" higher and new raised gas tank mounts.

Frame painted and parts reinstalled the seat is more than 2" higher now, much better for a taller rider, the seat is just under 32" now.

Frame Detail:

Now, we need to modify the exhaust and I'm still working on the lowest cost way to do this as buying prebent sections is way to expensive. Straight pipe is super cheap but no way to bend it as 1.125" pipe is an oddball size and I could not find any shops have those die sets. Buying bender dies also too $$. Might try sand bending as it seems to be the only low cost way to do this.

Old 09-15-2014, 03:43 PM   #23

Forgot to mention that we also modified the swingarm, we removed the original spindly shock mounts and welded on 2 x 1/4" thick mounts

Old 09-16-2014, 12:57 AM   #24

You seem to update us once a year. Thanks for checking in.

You could buy either larger or smaller tube that matches a common die, and then weld the collar to it. Perhaps that will give you some more options. Sand and heat might also be workable.

Do you plan to extend the swingarm? Have you replaced the swingarm bushings?

Old 09-17-2014, 04:59 PM   #25

Quote:
Do you plan to extend the swingarm? Have you replaced the swingarm bushings?
No, still have the original crappy bushings in it, no intention to replace them or extend the swing arm. Is there an easy swingarm bushing fix ?, might do it then.

My whole focus right now is to get it running properly with the new carb and pipe, it has been a real struggle so far.
I started by drilling the pilot jet as the air screw had to be turned way out (more than 2 turns) It has helped somewhat, but I think I have some kind of air leak which is affecting the way it runs. It is also surging like crazy, we will pull the carb off and check the float level.
After we get the low speed and idle sorted, I'll start drilling out the main jet.
I will update as we get the tuning sorted out.

Old 09-18-2014, 12:46 AM   #26

You must have some very small drill bits. The smallest bit I have is #60, which is 1.016mm, and that is the right size for the smallest main jet size in a 200cc four stroke.

If I was playing with a carb like that, I'd just buy jets from www.jetsrus.com or eBay.

Spray some (unlit) propane around the intake tube while the engine is running, and see if the engine speed picks up. If it does, you've found a leak. Doc taught me that trick.

For bushings, pound one out and take it to your local Honda dealer. They probably have a match for less than $10.00.

Old 09-18-2014, 09:36 PM   #27

I found a precision drill bit set with a really nice pin vice at a local independent "import" tool supplier. Was not looking for it, just stumbled into it when I was looking for a compression tester. bits go from .5mm to 3.2mm or about half the size of a #60 and up to a .125 or 1/8" bit. I think I paid around $8. paid for itself already drilling out just the pilot jet.

I found that www.tboltusa.com also sells compatible jets but in handy assortments. But, I'll only buy jets if I absolutely have to..

I forgot about the propane trick, thanks for that tip !