Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2017, 06:28 PM   #1

Pod filter on stock carb Vader 125

So I got my pod filter that I ordered last month in the mail today. I've heard you shouldn't put a pod filter on the stock carb unless you re-jet the carb or not to do it at all. Or, just re-jet the carb and take the snorkel out of the air box. Well I said to hell with that. I took the air box out and flipped the carb so I could put the filter on and...there is no difference. The performance of the bike is the same, lol! The only thing I did was adjust the idle on the carb. I was surprised it runs the same as it did before, it sounds a lot better tho. Later this week I'm getting my front sprocket(16t) and will post to let you all know how it runs after. If I get to it!

Last edited by Jrack; 04-26-2017 at 02:04 PM. Reason: Adding a picture

Old 04-26-2017, 07:26 AM   #2

As long as it runs, that's all that matters. A lean fuel mixture makes an engine run hotter, and can burn the valves, but what the hell. Gy6 engines are cheap, plentiful, and easy to replace
2000 Moto Guzzi California V11, resting in pieces

The cage: 1998 BMW Z3, 1.9L w/full Dinan engine upgrades

Old 04-26-2017, 11:33 AM   #3

You're right. I've got my mind on short-case scooter engines and CVTs I was looking at big bore kits on tbolt last week, possibly a winter project. Having a bike small enough to bring indoors and wrench on in the living room is a novelty.

Old 04-26-2017, 01:51 PM   #4

[QUOTE=Skin Mechanic;253411]As long as it runs, that's all that matters. A lean fuel mixture makes an engine run hotter, and can burn the valves, but what the hell. Gy6 engines are cheap, plentiful, and easy to replace [/QUOTE

Actually all I did was adjust the idle, it was below 1500. About 1000-1300. Now it's around 1700. From what I've read and the videos I've seen the idle should be between 1500-2000 for these bikes. Kept the hoses connected to the bike and re-purposed some. I haven't really gotten to get out and ride. Like I said tho, so far it's running good.

Old 04-26-2017, 02:02 PM   #5

I've also see a way to mod the pod filter(restricting air). I'll buy a new carb if anything, just trying different things. I am thinking about getting a mikuni carb. If I can go without getting one, then I'm not going to waste money on one.
I've also done the air box mod before I got the pod filter. The bike bogged down and barely kept running, it didn't matter what I did to the carb. So, with the air box mod, it ran way too lean. Much better with the pod. I mean, because it's running. Either way, there is a few bike shops that can help me out if I have questions.

Old 04-26-2017, 03:49 PM   #6

Mine would bog down with the stock setup, but it was dumping fuel. I pulled the air intake hose and gas dripped out. I took the carb apart and made sure the float needle wasn't sticking, cleaned everything and it still flooded. Of course I was planning on replacing it with a Mikuni anyways, so no big deal.

Old 04-26-2017, 07:46 PM   #7

I would rather spend an hour and a couple of bucks on a richer jet than than a full weekend and a few hundred bucks on an engine change.
-You will need to pull out the stock main jet to determine the number/size before ordering new jets. That's a pain in the butt.

Old 04-26-2017, 10:46 PM   #8

Yeah they're a pain! I'll probably end up letting my mechanic do the carb and jets when I get them. If I don't, I did keep the air box and I'll just put that back on in the meantime. I guess it depends on the bike. I've seen so many different setups on these bikes and when someone else tries that particular setup they end up having problems. I also put the 16t sprocket on today. Rides like a completely different bike. I can actually ride in 3rd gear on the back roads up to 25-30 m.p.h. Without having to go into 4th. Nice!

Old 04-26-2017, 11:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelbender6 View Post
I would rather spend an hour and a couple of bucks on a richer jet than than a full weekend and a few hundred bucks on an engine change.
-You will need to pull out the stock main jet to determine the number/size before ordering new jets. That's a pain in the butt.
There is a dude on YouTube that has a 90 jet on his stock carb with the snorkel taken out of his air box. The YouTube channel is (Miami scooter club) I've seen a comment on one of his videos. The comment said just to use a pod filter and take out the air box. I'll try anything..

Old 04-27-2017, 11:15 AM   #10

I believe there are 2 hoses that go into the air box. One from the header and the other I haven't really looked at. They seem to re-circulate the air from the header back into the air box. Probably why the pod has been working fine. The other thing I did was drill out a hole before the cat on the exhaust, another reason why the bike seems to be running fine with the pod. I'm willing to bet that if I didn't drill out the hole in the pipe I'd have problems from the jump, but I'm not. Cause the cat is so damn restrictive. I looked back at another video and the stock carburetor jet is a 78. If anything I'll change it. In the same video he said to order 50cc jets because other jets wont work. I'd rather spend $7 on jets than $43 on a new carb. Or hundreds on a new motor...

Tags
carb, pod filter, vader 125