Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2011, 04:04 AM   #1

Weldangrind's New TW200 Billy Goat

Ok, old TW200.

I bought this one just over a month ago, but I didn't want to show it until I held the legal title. I got that yesterday. It's all kinds of ugly, but it's a starting point that I can live with, and I've wanted one for quite awhile. I can't get a Zong here, so this is the next best thing.

This is my favourite view; love that fat rear end!

There's a hole in the countershaft cover; I haven't decided if I'm going to "window" it on purpose, or try to repair it with my buddy's TIG welder.

The speedo is missing, and the handlebars look like someone had a terrible mishap! 8O

I hate this seat colour anyway.

It's barn-fresh and loaded with cobwebs. I hope it runs.

I'll be working on this at the same time as Son of Weldangrind's TS185. I hope to complete both of them soon, so we can start exploring the local mountain roads. eBay, here I come.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-30-2011, 10:13 AM   #2

Love it! I've always liked the TW's but they're few and far between here (and $$$!) Yours looks like a very good starting point to me! I'll be watching this one closely .

P.S. This must be "the other project" that you were talking about when you put together the XL250?

Old 10-30-2011, 11:15 AM   #3

Yep, it is the "other project". In fact, I now have yet another project waiting for this and the TS185 to be finished. Fall has been an excellent time to grab such things.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-30-2011, 12:38 PM   #4

Cool

The forks and rest of the front end look good other then the handlebars and headlight, so I wonder what they did...

I'm sure you will try to fix the cover with the welder, after all it's a good excuse for welding, right...

Should be a good project

Old 10-30-2011, 01:30 PM   #5

Congratulations! I was wondering when you were going to acquire a TW200; you have stated several times you like them. Thank you for sharing this project!

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 10-30-2011, 02:08 PM   #6

WOW........look at the booty on that bike. (love those big tires)

I like those bikes and would like to get one but I already have the xr350 that will be my main bike next year I hope and the wife will get my LF200.

Old 10-30-2011, 02:14 PM   #7

That rear tire has a lot of tread left on it, Weld. The TW200/Zong is a great little motorcycle; I still have a lot of fun riding mine! The 196cc, Yamaha engine is nearly bulletproof, and an FMF TC2 silencer will really wake up that engine.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 10-30-2011, 09:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
Cool

The forks and rest of the front end look good other then the handlebars and headlight, so I wonder what they did...

I'm sure you will try to fix the cover with the welder, after all it's a good excuse for welding, right...

Should be a good project
That's what I thought about the front forks. Curious.

I'll ask my buddy for guidance on the welding project; aluminum is a fickle mistress.

Hey Spud, do you think that the side cover mod applies to TW's?

Old 10-30-2011, 09:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider
That rear tire has a lot of tread left on it, Weld. The TW200/Zong is a great little motorcycle; I still have a lot of fun riding mine! The 196cc, Yamaha engine is nearly bulletproof, and an FMF TC2 silencer will really wake up that engine.

Spud
Thanks Spud.

The previous owner said that the owner prior changed the rear tire, so I'm lucky on that count. I checked at two of the TW200 forums, and there is a China rear tire that is popular as a front tire on the T-Dub. I can pick one up for a fair price, so that's likely the way I'll go.

I think I'll try some hilbilly engineering before I go the FMF route; I like them a lot, but I have a bunch of stuff to replace on this bike.

Old 10-30-2011, 09:11 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamCheap
WOW........look at the booty on that bike. (love those big tires)

I like those bikes and would like to get one but I already have the xr350 that will be my main bike next year I hope and the wife will get my LF200.
That shapely booty pulls me in every time.

I had the same idea about my XR250R, but it can't be ridden on the streets. Son of Weldangrind and I want to be able to explore the local mountain and farm roads, so dual sport bikes (albeit old) are the answer for us. If the TW works out as well as hoped, I'll likely dump the XR.

Old 10-30-2011, 09:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider

Spud
Thanks Spud.

The previous owner said that the owner prior changed the rear tire, so I'm lucky on that count. I checked at two of the TW200 forums, and there is a China rear tire that is popular as a front tire on the T-Dub. I can pick one up for a fair price, so that's likely the way I'll go.

I think I'll try some hilbilly engineering before I go the FMF route; I like them a lot, but I have a bunch of stuff to replace on this bike.
TW200forum.com is a great place to hang out, with lots of great information on the TDub. A while back several other TW200 forums started up, but I didn't think any of them caught on. If I may ask, to which two forums are you referring? Are you considering the Cheng Shin C-913-1 tire, or another tire for the front wheel?

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 10-30-2011, 09:40 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
...Hey Spud, do you think that the side cover mod applies to TW's?
Are you thinking of trimming the right side cover, near the muffler? As long as the muffler is shielded, you probably won't get burned by it. I'm betting you don't plan to carry passengers on your TDub. However, if you trim the right side cover, the hot muffler might burn items that drape over the cargo area.

My FMF Silencer is located more medial, and lower, than the stock Zongshen muffler. This deeper location not only protects the muffler from damage, but also protects my body, and cargo, from getting burned.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 10-30-2011, 09:58 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamCheap
WOW........look at the booty on that bike. ...
It is frequently reported on TW200forum.com that all TDub owners love "big rear ends." This predisposition draws them to the TW200. 8)

Incidentally, even without the wide rear tire, my Zong has a "big rear end."

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 10-31-2011, 02:13 AM   #14

Spud, I've been perusing http://tw200.forumotion.com/ and http://tw200forum.com/ . I noticed that you're a member on both sites.

The tire I'm looking at is the Shinko Golden Boy in 5.10 x 18. Shinko Golden Boy

I'm asking about the countershaft cover mod that you did on your Zong. I wondered if I could perform the same surgery.

Old 10-31-2011, 02:54 AM   #15

Spud, I was looking at you Zong stickies, and I'm hoping to find more info about oil filters. I'm clear on the four hole requirement, and that there is a TW200 and Zong filter, but have you found other filters as well? I couldn't find that info in the oil change tutorial.

Also, the XT350 tank conversion link is dead. Would you have any other info about it?