Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2014, 09:16 PM   #31

Hmmm, Raptor frame or Goldwing? Raptor frame or Goldwing?

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 09-30-2014, 12:59 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesy View Post
Hmmm, Raptor frame or Goldwing? Raptor frame or Goldwing?
The answer is yes.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-30-2014, 08:13 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
The answer is yes.
I like the way you think.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 09-30-2014, 10:53 AM   #34

Are you genuinely thinking of building a Raptor from the frame up?

What year GW is in your mind?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-30-2014, 01:34 PM   #35

There is a glimmer of thought towards a Raptor, but only that at this point in time.

77 to 83 on the GW. That is in no hurry, either. Just testing the waters.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 10-01-2014, 12:55 AM   #36

variety is the spice of life. an e-bike can go places where a motorbike won t be allowed (and the other way round).

Old 10-01-2014, 10:25 AM   #37

I've been thinking the same thing. I'd also like to experience the Superman effect, like Sam described. Sounds like fun!

Old 10-02-2014, 12:10 AM   #38

Honestly, I can't go anywhere without people stopping me and asking about it. People are taking pictures of it on the back of my Jeep.

Right now, it's here with me in my hotel room. Yep, I asked if there was a safe place to leave it. They said, sir, just take it up to your room. I thought, how cool is this! Yes, it's a Holiday Inn Express!

SamM
2017 Coleman CT200U
1978 Yamaha SR500E
1979 Yamaha XS650 Special II

Old 10-02-2014, 02:52 AM   #39

Sam, any chance we can get some video of you riding it? I'd love to get some perspective on the speed.

Old 10-02-2014, 05:54 AM   #40

I'll try to get my buddy Joe to take some video of me riding the Stealth at the Overland Expo this week/weekend. The speed is a little overwhelming. You don't realize how fast 35mph is, until you try it on a bicycle. Of course, I want more. We'll be shooting for 60mph bursts with this bike as we upgrade it this Winter. 60mph sounds like a crazy number but when I commute to work, I'd like to be able to get out of the way, if I need to. At those speeds, the tires become the issue. We will make it a non-issue with motorcycle wheels and tires. I'll be using the Shinko 241 trials motorcycle tires in 19/21". The wheels will be built using Excel 1.85" rims. I will also use the NeuTech TUbliss system that I previously used on my KLX250SF. At these lower speeds balancing will not be a problem. The wheels will be sealed with ATV tire sealant. You don't want a flat on a bicycle at 60mph. The NeuTech system removes 3lbs from the weigh compared to regular tubed tires. That will help and make flat tires and changing flat tires non-existant. Also, the tires will last forever!

I honestly feel that my past motorcycle experiences will translate well into this project. I've learned a lot with other projects both good and bad. This bike really has me excited about riding again. I've probably said that a lot.

In a week or so, I will be ordering a new Russian made Adaptto Max-E 10kW controller. I believe my current controller is good for 5kW but my bike is 3kW. You can see where we are going. When I say we, I mean me and the guys that are helping me. I'm learning quite a bit, very fast but I'm not there yet. I'm not happy buying the Adaptto controller from Russia, given the current state of affairs but they make the best controller for the high-power eBikes. It's really coming through a new internet friend in Sweden so, the point is moot.

SamM
2017 Coleman CT200U
1978 Yamaha SR500E

Old 10-02-2014, 06:06 AM   #41

Rear motorcycle tire conversion on a new Stealth Bomber. This bike also has 2014 Marzocchi 888 forks. With its 9-speed Suntour V-Boxx planetary gearbox, this bike is super fast. It can be petaled at 50+mph. Gear shifts are very positive, nothing like cable shifted dérailleur systems.

Many people that own the Stealth Bomber like this one, have advised me to keep and modify my Fighter. It can be made to outperform the Bomber, it's cheaper and much lighter. The Bomber weighs 116lbs. My Fighter comes in at 75lbs.

SamM
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (99.8 KB, 70 views)
2017 Coleman CT200U
1978 Yamaha SR500E

Old 10-02-2014, 10:29 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamM View Post
This bike really has me excited about riding again. I've probably said that a lot.
This bike has me excited on your behalf! Thanks for all the cool updates.

Quote:
In a week or so, I will be ordering a new Russian made Adaptto Max-E 10kW controller. I believe my current controller is good for 5kW but my bike is 3kW. You can see where we are going. When I say we, I mean me and the guys that are helping me. I'm learning quite a bit, very fast but I'm not there yet. I'm not happy buying the Adaptto controller from Russia, given the current state of affairs but they make the best controller for the high-power eBikes. It's really coming through a new internet friend in Sweden so, the point is moot.
I'm going to encourage you to disregard the political state of affairs. The product you're buying is from some entrepreneur who likely has no interest in geo-political trouble, but rather wants to further the electric bike industry. We'd hate to be excluded from a marketplace, just because our political leaders were up to no good.

I'm trying to follow your controller logic. If the new controller is 10kW, does that mean your bike will draw 6kW?

Old 10-02-2014, 10:30 AM   #43

Quote:
Rear motorcycle tire conversion on a new Stealth Bomber. This bike also has 2014 Marzocchi 888 forks. With its 9-speed Suntour V-Boxx planetary gearbox, this bike is super fast. It can be petaled at 50+mph. Gear shifts are very positive, nothing like cable shifted dérailleur systems.

Many people that own the Stealth Bomber like this one, have advised me to keep and modify my Fighter. It can be made to outperform the Bomber, it's cheaper and much lighter. The Bomber weighs 116lbs. My Fighter comes in at 75lbs.

SamM
I'm geeking out over the planetary gearbox! Do you have more info on it?

Old 10-02-2014, 02:39 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
This bike has me excited on your behalf! Thanks for all the cool updates...
X2. I'm also glad to see you excited about riding once again.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 10-02-2014, 03:39 PM   #45

Thanks guys! It feels good to be riding again. This thing doesn't really resemble a bicycle. You do and can petal it though.

Yes, I'm not happy about the Ukraine situation but there is little that I can do about it. The motor controller is coming from a supplier not the Russian government, so there is no worry about it.

Do a search for Suntour V-Boxx and you find more information. Sorry, no links as I'm laying under my Jeep relaxing and trying to escape the sun.

SamM
2017 Coleman CT200U
1978 Yamaha SR500E