Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2018, 01:33 AM   #1

How bad is my fork leak?

Woke up this morning to find this.

I'm pretty sure this means I've got a serious leak, but seeking confirmation. The corresponding right stantion looks a little damp, where as the left is bone dry.
It did rain very heavy a few days ago (haven't moved the bike since rain) so maybe its possible that the rain just washed some oil down and it never dried. But I think that's unlikely. I'm going to wipe it clean and check again in a day or two.

Also, I've been hearing a click/thump noise that seems to be more from when the fork rebounds fully (ie: unweighted, opposite of bottom out). I tell myself it could be the tool canisters I have mounted to the front frame guards, but I dont think so.

Also, if I do somehow have a leak that has miraculously formed ~11 months after a rebuild, what is the possible cause and what is the best fix? Just refill and replace seal?

For reference, I changed the fork oil and seals 1 year ago and replaced with the heavier weight fork oil (10w?). I haven't noticed any issues prior to this.

didi gmadloba (big thanks in Georgian),

Rob

Old 07-01-2018, 01:42 AM   #2

seal replacement time....

77 Montesa Cota 348 MRR "Malcom Rathnell Replica"...

Current resto projects..
81 Honda CT110...
80 Kawasaki KL250A1...

11 Husaburg TE125 enduro... "sold" along with another 31...
Lifan 125 Pitbike.. "stolen" ...

KIWI BIKER FORUM...... http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/content.php

All the best offroad rides in NZ...
http://www.remotemoto.com/

E-mail... xtpete1@gmail.com

Old 07-01-2018, 03:07 AM   #3

It definitely has a significant leak. I'll try to source some seals via Greece tomorrow.

The bad news is I'm stranded. The good news is that I'm stranded in T'bilisi, which is a very nice to place to be stranded.

And I'll have ample time to get my blog up and running, but that will come later because its supposed to be 108F today, so I'm headed to the mtns to hike! And now that I can finally post photos, a little eye candy...
I do believe this is the ride that killed my fork. It was worth it!

Old 07-01-2018, 05:24 AM   #4

Does anyone know if it's safe to use a generic fork seal? Vs one from a rx3 dealer? There are a couple legit shops and some container box shops also, that would save a ton of time and $ vs getting something shipped.

Old 07-01-2018, 08:43 AM   #5

I would use a generic if I had to you can always swap it out at a later date.

Old 07-01-2018, 01:02 PM   #6

Find a generic one, size 37 50 11, and you'll be fine.

Old 07-01-2018, 10:19 PM   #7

You could also try to make a sealmate type seal cleaner, pull down the outer dust seal and then clean the inner seal. I've heard people using plastic bottles cut to share to do this. Check out Youtube.

Old 07-01-2018, 10:40 PM   #8

Sealmate works almost every time i've used one. MotionPro?

Old 07-02-2018, 09:39 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjmartin View Post
You could also try to make a sealmate type seal cleaner, pull down the outer dust seal and then clean the inner seal. I've heard people using plastic bottles cut to share to do this. Check out Youtube.
I've made and use one made from a plastic bottle. Made similar to the Sealmate. Works perfect.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 07-02-2018, 11:46 PM   #10

Check your inner tube for damage that would cause a seal failure. Doesn't take much.

Old 07-03-2018, 02:41 PM   #11

Another thought is I've rode in down pours and my fork seals started leaking on a different bike. Maybe the water has gotten into the seal and is not letting it seal as water is not a good lubricator and allows the seal to drag and maybe roll over a bit letting oil by. On upside down forks its a problem because gravity is pulling on the oil downward. Try the sealmate type of seal cleaner outer thing and clean the seal out while on the bike. May buy you some time .rj

Old 08-08-2018, 07:54 AM   #12

Thanks FJ and JerryHawk! I youtubed the sealmate device and saw how it was used, then cut one from a plastic bottle. That seems to have stopped it. And my seals still look to be in great condition.

Now I just don't know how much oil I've lost. I'm going to investigate by opening both caps and trying to use a measuring stick, compare the leaked oil level to the other and add to the leaky side until it matches, then I don't have to do a half fork rebuild where I don't have proper space or tools.

The local shop offered to do it for $40US, but that's kinda pricey around the parts, or more likely... traveling this part of the world has made me a cheap-skate.

Old 08-08-2018, 09:57 PM   #13

That's great to hear!!! But your initial post was over a month ago....have you been stuck this whole time?

Old 08-08-2018, 10:21 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjmartin View Post
That's great to hear!!! But your initial post was over a month ago....have you been stuck this whole time?
Well, looks like a pretty 'hood.

Old 08-13-2018, 05:31 AM   #15

Stuck is a strong word, and it isn't entirely due to bike issues. But yes a series of events (dog bite followed by a series of rabies vaccinations, wound becoming infected and stitches not holding, denied a visa because not enough empty passport pages, waiting for new passport because the US no longer adds pages because of security reasons, waiting another 10 days for the original visa I had applied) has kept me in one country for the past couple of months.

But the Republic of Georgia is a fantastic country to be stuck in! Its extremely cheap, has some of the worlds best food and wine, very friendly and hospitable locals, and it has an influx of adventurous international travelers. A few days ago I was parked next to 2 other bikes, one from Colombia and one from Australia- quite unique to see such a intercontinental trio since almost every bike here is either Europe or Russia. And it never ever gets boring. I still constantly find new food/drinks to try, and the Georgian cultural norms are full of surprises. I plan to post my blog soon, but I still struggle to find enough time to add content to it.