Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2018, 05:17 PM   #1

Chain jumping?

I still haven’t figured out what to do about this problem. There’s definitely a couple more scrapes on the guard. I believe the banana shaped chain guide is causing it. I tried like the dickens bare handed to make the chain touch the guard but it’s not happening. I pulled and cleaned the rubbery guide, reinstalled so the rail was as straight as I could make it and added a couple of zip ties into the gap at the front trying to fill the extra space. Honestly the only way I see of getting the guide straight is to remove the large tabs and screw it straight into the upper section of the swing arm. Any help greatly appreciated. I don’t wanna die
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4645772E-73BA-47C0-8EC8-50478A2AEB2B.jpg (19.8 KB, 172 views)
File Type: jpg C98A4D96-1D5A-4048-84E9-0CCF4AEB7F55.jpg (19.9 KB, 168 views)
File Type: jpg D4E8AE27-071A-4C80-BFA3-A5119801BCBF.jpg (17.2 KB, 170 views)

Old 06-16-2018, 06:02 PM   #2

Also, Would the chain guide even make the chain jump? It seems very weak and not really enough to move a heavy chain being pulled along by the sproket. Also youtube is full of guys just using a strip of truck mat as a chain guide, saying it's purpose is to protect the swing arm from scrapes. Glue and zip ties is what some are using to mount them, not even screws.

Here is the worst example

Old 06-16-2018, 07:08 PM   #3

Any chance the engine mounting bolts are loose, allowing the engine to move?

Old 06-16-2018, 07:24 PM   #4

Is that a hawk you have? I would check rear sprocket bolts and make sure none are broke off behind the sprocket. That is weird and yes very dangerous. When I first got my hawk I had chain pop off twice and jam up in my rear tire. Both times I was going around 30. Luckily I was able to control the bike and not crash. Would of been worse had I been going faster. Stay safe

Old 06-16-2018, 08:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudflap View Post
Any chance the engine mounting bolts are loose, allowing the engine to move?

I haven't found anything loose yet, I did the loctite until you're insane routine when I set the bike up last month.

Old 06-16-2018, 08:12 PM   #6

I asume you have checked the chain alinement....
i would change the sprocket just in case there is
a machineing defect in it..
maybe go smaller on the front sprocket and give it some room as it
is very close to the engine case

you really need to sort that before it takes the side of the motor out..
i think the issue is happening while coasting on a closed throttle , not under power..

77 Montesa Cota 348 MRR "Malcom Rathnell Replica"...

Current resto projects..
81 Honda CT110...
80 Kawasaki KL250A1...

11 Husaburg TE125 enduro... "sold" along with another 31...
Lifan 125 Pitbike.. "stolen" ...

KIWI BIKER FORUM...... http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/content.php

All the best offroad rides in NZ...
http://www.remotemoto.com/

E-mail... xtpete1@gmail.com

Old 06-16-2018, 08:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lit Hawk View Post
Is that a hawk you have? I would check rear sprocket bolts and make sure none are broke off behind the sprocket. That is weird and yes very dangerous. When I first got my hawk I had chain pop off twice and jam up in my rear tire. Both times I was going around 30. Luckily I was able to control the bike and not crash. Would of been worse had I been going faster. Stay safe

It's a Storm, 480 km on it so far. The rear sprocket is as snug as it's going to get I believe. The bike will fall over before the sprocket is going to move judging by me yanking on it.

You're chain jam adventures sound frightening. That's my fear, I haven't experienced the chain jamming or jumping but worry that like in traffic it will happen or worse.

Old 06-16-2018, 08:59 PM   #8

I have similar problem with jumping chain but without damage to the engine cover. I tried to change chain and sprockets, but still the same. I wonder if the clutch can cause this chain jump/vibration. My complete clutch assembly has good play in every possible axis, in relation the the gearbox input shaft, on which the clutch is mounted on. Also, the whole bike shakes during chain vibration. This happens always when accelerating but in lower RPM.
ChipToothy, is this similar to your chain jump problem?

Second question is is there a way to enlarge photos from first post?

Old 06-16-2018, 09:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kivi View Post
I have similar problem with jumping chain but without damage to the engine cover. I tried to change chain and sprockets, but still the same. I wonder if the clutch can cause this chain jump/vibration. My complete clutch assembly has good play in every possible axis, in relation the the gearbox input shaft, on which the clutch is mounted on. Also, the whole bike shakes during chain vibration. This happens always when accelerating but in lower RPM.
ChipToothy, is this similar to your chain jump problem?

Second question is is there a way to enlarge photos from first post?
I haven't felt any chain vibration or know if it has jumped or not. I only ever know about the gashes in the sprocket guard because of hunting a possible oil leak. It's just as likely to be form small gravels bouncing into the area and being chewed up. I'm clueless.

For pics I have to enlarge my whole screen to like 175%.

Old 06-16-2018, 09:25 PM   #10

I've been pondering this most of the day, and I'm wondering what your thoughts are, I see in my head a loose chain with either a slightly loose motor or a loose chain with misaligned sprockets. I think you don't see it that way but haven't really been able to express what might be happening.

I think I would remove the chain and attach a string to the case close as possible to the front sprocket and pull it tight past the rear sprocket to check alignment, I would also grab the motor and see if I could force movement. If that seemed well then I would replace the sprockets and hope for the best.

There may be a defect in the front sprocket.

2017 Bashan Storm
Keihen PZ30 Pumper Carb,115 main jet,35 pilot jet, gutted factory exhaust, Sambo Digital Speedometer,LED blinkers, H4 headlight,D.I.D X-ring chain 428,17/42 sprockets,UNI cone filter.

Old 06-16-2018, 09:38 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cravin01 View Post
I've been pondering this most of the day, and I'm wondering what your thoughts are, I see in my head a loose chain with either a slightly loose motor or a loose chain with misaligned sprockets. I think you don't see it that way but haven't really been able to express what might be happening.

I think I would remove the chain and attach a string to the case close as possible to the front sprocket and pull it tight past the rear sprocket to check alignment, I would also grab the motor and see if I could force movement. If that seemed well then I would replace the sprockets and hope for the best.

There may be a defect in the front sprocket.

Good line of thinking. With chain tension it is now just getting enough wear to rub on the chain guide

Old 06-16-2018, 09:51 PM   #12

Maybe it is too loose?

Old 06-16-2018, 10:02 PM   #13

I think it is, I have half of the give as yours on my storm, I think when you hit a bump and the rear loses all compresion from your weight the slack gets bottlenecked in your case causing the damage.

I would adjust it tighter and take a piece of tape or color the inside of the case with a marker and ride it hard letting the suspension get full travel. If it still hits the case you'll see it in the tape or it will remove the marker.

I cannot touch the suspension arm under or above but above is close.

2017 Bashan Storm
Keihen PZ30 Pumper Carb,115 main jet,35 pilot jet, gutted factory exhaust, Sambo Digital Speedometer,LED blinkers, H4 headlight,D.I.D X-ring chain 428,17/42 sprockets,UNI cone filter.

Old 06-16-2018, 10:09 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cravin01 View Post
I think it is, I have half of the give as yours on my storm, I think when you hit a bump and the rear loses all compresion from your weight the slack gets bottlenecked in your case causing the damage.

I would adjust it tighter and take a piece of tape or color the inside of the case with a marker and ride it hard letting the suspension get full travel. If it still hits the case you'll see it in the tape or it will remove the marker.
Ok and thanks. I don't have a stand or jack so haven't bothered with doing anything that involves the wheels yet. First time for everything I guess.

Old 06-16-2018, 10:25 PM   #15

Most of us don't have the proper tools but that's the cool part when you can make it happen. plus it gives you a excuse to buy more tools when you can. Just wedge something like a tool box or create, the first thing to leave the ground is the rear wheel.

Make sure you adjust both sides evenly and with the bike in neutral you should be able to turn the wheel to seen if it tracks even and feel the change in tension, Too tight is just as bad.

2017 Bashan Storm