Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2019, 11:46 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishjew View Post
Its highway manners are much more capable(75mph GPS verified). I have only had it on fire roads but its center of gravity is lower than the tt250 so to me it feels much more planted in that aspect. I believe the tt250 will be better suited for for more technical offload situations. Im 6'2" with a 31" inseam and the riding position is more upright and comfortable than the tt250, my back has thanked me. The seat is about equivalent to the tt250 which is not great but I can easily flat foot this bike at a stop.

Thanks for the response. It sounds like the RE would be a nice improvement over my 250 in many ways. I am happy to hear RE was able to design it with a low center of gravity.

PCG I haven't ridden a Himalayan yet but I plan to. I will let you know how the SSR/RE compare once I do. I am hoping the RE would be an improvement when it comes to tackling headwinds and grades at reasonable highway speed. My SSR is usually adequate on the highway, but in high-wind weather or climbing grades I sometimes find myself barely creeping past the semis.

Old 11-29-2019, 05:07 PM   #17

Send a message via Yahoo to ikeus685
R E Himalayan

They ride great! Not for the racers. Go to ytube and dial in R.E. Himalayan and you will find riders tackling the Himalayans, Very. Very long ride. India, malayasia Thailand Iran ,Russia Turkey the Stans back to Holland Season 1 Norally/ itchy boots.
Karmakazie's ride from Seattle to Alaska and a bunch of upgrade mod videos he's made.
!st on race day no. But as simple and rugged a design you can maintan and enjoy for years. I am still going to get one...later.

Old 11-30-2019, 07:59 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishjew View Post
Well I went and did a thing. I bought a brand new 2019 Himalayan. I sold my CSC TT250 and Honda NT 700v to help fund the purchase. I was on the fence between the CSC RX4 and the Himalayan but just could not pull the trigger on the RX4 yet. Yes, the Himalayan is slower and less powerful but is tested here with great results. I have a dealership in town to get parts/service at and parts are readily available from India dirt cheap. Still breaking her in but I absolutely love this bike. It just chugs along happy as can be. I wont be winning any speed records but it does 75 no problem but its happiest at 65-70.

That's a fine looking ride. I like the shape/lines.

Curious to see how 'she' goes for you...

'scribed

Old 12-20-2019, 07:36 PM   #19

there is a new 2020 low rider version ..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 69083083_514302259331421_1462607381295792128_n.jpg (64.7 KB, 681 views)
77 Montesa Cota 348 MRR "Malcom Rathnell Replica"...

Current resto projects..
81 Honda CT110...
80 Kawasaki KL250A1...

11 Husaburg TE125 enduro... "sold" along with another 31...
Lifan 125 Pitbike.. "stolen" ...

KIWI BIKER FORUM...... http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/content.php

All the best offroad rides in NZ...
http://www.remotemoto.com/

E-mail... xtpete1@gmail.com

Old 12-20-2019, 10:09 PM   #20

Hehe

Hahahaha... Looks like it suffering from broken back syndrome

Old 12-23-2019, 01:37 AM   #21

Back in March, I bought a leftover 2018 RE Himalayan. Honestly, this motorcycle is the best bike on the market for the money IMO. Mine has lots of mods, so far and it’s been trouble free. I don’t have many miles on it but I have really enjoyed it. I’ve pushed the Himalayan over 80mph for short distances but it needs taller gearing to do it more often.

Parts are inexpensive and maintenance is super easy. Try Hitchcock Motorcycles in the UK for better quality parts.

Termignoni makes a great slip-on for the Himalayan.

SamM
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6D95E531-2BD4-47B8-AC8D-94B55B5E362F.jpg (19.9 KB, 628 views)
2017 Coleman CT200U
1978 Yamaha SR500E
1979 Yamaha XS650 Special II

Old 12-23-2019, 09:26 AM   #22

Did a thing today. Installed a set of the cheap ebay Moose Racing expedition panniers to my himmi. Used RE pannier racks(fit could be better and hardware sucked) and the hardware kit from happy trails(good quality hardware). These are the "small panniers" and I think they are too big. Man I would have hated the "medium"size that were originally in my cart. Either way I'm happy and spent under 400 total.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FB_IMG_1577077532592.jpg (61.6 KB, 596 views)
File Type: jpg FB_IMG_1577077555518.jpg (60.1 KB, 599 views)
File Type: jpg FB_IMG_1577077540208.jpg (65.6 KB, 595 views)

Old 12-23-2019, 10:58 AM   #23

I like.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 06-09-2020, 01:20 AM   #24

In know it's been awhile, but are there any updates from our new Himalayan owners?

Regarding that nice aftermarket pannier install, did the pannier racks come with the turn signal relocation mounts? A Triumph dealer down the road from me was trying to sell a new 2018 for the slightly higher 2020 MSRP, but they were including "free" panniers in the deal. I made them an offer on Cycletrader, which they ignored.

IrishJew I'd like to know if the Himalayan is phased at all by the Clark County Summer heat?

Old 06-09-2020, 07:27 PM   #25

I have been on a Himalayan for a year and a half. There are some things that are not being said about it that need consideration.

First, the Himalayan does not compare to a 250cc anything! It don't matter how many letters you put before and after the 250 it ain't the same and it never will be.

The RE is a tank. You are not looking at a 250cc dirt bike made legal for the street, you are looking at a the lower end of the mid-weight adventure bikes set up for back road, bad road and gravel road use and only intended to see an interstate on rare occasion.

The RE is only comparable to the BMW 310 and possibly the KTM 390 though both have a 10hp advantage, but they were engineered for the European market where the highways wide and paved and not the Indian market where you fight the traffic of one billion people and dodge cows between the potholes, as the RE was. Now keep in mind that when reviewed those other bikes, with more power, also top out at slightly higher speed and cruise at the same point as the RE. 6500 rpm is the same no matter what the brand or HP rating.

This sucker weighs in at 450 pounds with oil and a tank of fuel. That is not counting anything you have strapped to the top or the panniers. It has a "low center of gravity" to some extent but when it gets past that point of no return it is going down and it is going down right now! You are not going to stop it if you ain't had your Wheaties, which is why Noraly (Itchyboots) is always looking for a good breakfast. Lord pray that there are two of you there to pick it up.

The stroke is about an inch longer than the bore is wide and it will lug like crazy. The power assignment is deceptive and not even noticeable until you get onto the interstate and try to go 20 over the limit! I think the situation is that Indian horses are bigger than Chinese, and possibly Japanese horses. It's not a crouch rocket but it will snap your head running up the gears at WOT. I have heard it said that you can not wheelie one but I know I wheeled mine when I did not intend too so that rumor is dead.

I often put mine in 4th gear and drive it like a big old scooter. It will lug from 15-50 in 4th without a gear change. in turn it does not want to go into 5th until it tops 50, so working through the Kentucky hills develops your shifting skills.

I also have a TBR7 and a scooter. I find that the TBR does not want to go much faster than my scooter and when you force it up to 60 you feel like you are taking your life in your hands. It bobs, it weaves, it drifts and bounces. The scooter is more stable at 55 than the TBR7.

My Himalayan is rock solid on the road, stable up to top speed and smooth. Last fall I drove it from my home in KY, down to Natchez Mississippi along the Great River Road and then back up the Natchez Trace Parkway. Temps were between 90 and 100 every single day.

No temp problems, the freekin' thing was made to work in India! India is the tropics for those that don't know. They don't have winter and summer, they have dry season and the monsoon. Average temp above 90 daily.

Old 06-10-2020, 10:43 AM   #26

I read a recent article matching the Hima against the GS310 and Versus 300.

-They said the Hima was much easier to ride: on and off road.
-The challengers would go faster on the highway, but it took the engine in the GS and Versus a long, Long time to spool up to the screaming red line.

- I hope we see a Hima vs RX4 shootout soon.

Old 06-10-2020, 04:41 PM   #27

Someone really needs to ride an RX4 from Indonesia to Holland and put 60,000K on it at the cost of a set of clutch plates and a chain and sprocket and wear out about ten sets of tires to make a comparison.

Itchy Boots second trip already had her going from Buenos Aries, to Terra dl Fueigo and back up the Andes to Peru before she was run out of the country by Corona Virus, and she had no breakdowns or major repairs. She already has 20k-30K on the second bike.

She even found RE dealers in Brazil and Argentina! CSC does not even have a parts supply network in the U.S. much less the more remote areas of the world.

It is that lack of parts and tech support that is going to put just about every wild card china bike behind the 8-ball, no matter what its original retail price or capabilities were.

That is why this whole forum exists. It is a grass roots movement dealing with lack of tech and parts support and what can we cobble together to keep our china bikes rolling.

I just took a mobility training course and used a Suzuki GB125 that was last produced in 2001. It was made in Viet Namn and sold by Suzuki complete with their support network. The school has a fleet of them, all of them at least 20 years old. They ride like new bikes, not because they have lasted better than anything else, but because Suzuki has a parts department!

Old 06-11-2020, 12:26 AM   #28

Thumbs Up

Thanks for the update Krat! Its good to hear that RE is continually trying to perfect this bike. I went and saw the Himalayan in person for the first time a few weeks back at a local dealer who also had a 310gs. The owner said his techs cringe when someone brings one in for service, and that the RE is a much higher quality product.

It is a bit heavy compared to my 250, but I have read numerous times that the center of gravity lies very low on the Himalayan. I am a believer in that now... Climbing on the bike and and rolling around the showroom it felt very easy to lean and maneuver.. easier than my SSR probably. I wasn't dressed for a test ride, but will be going back soon.

Old 06-11-2020, 06:33 PM   #29

There is another old geezer just up the street from me that has a GS310, bought new 2 years ago. It has spent a year of its time in the hands of the BMW shop. He had a brake problem and took it in for repair, then found out that there was a brake recall and the parts for repair were not available and would not be for months. The shop seized his bike since due to liability issues they could not allow it out of their hands until repaired.

Fortunately he has a Gold wing but at 70+ years they get a bit heavy to play around on.

I am in the same situation and at 70 I find my main physical complaint with the Himalayan involves "climbing onto it". I have to stand on the peg to get my leg over the hiked up portion of the pillion and carrying cargo involves finding a step ladder. Getting old sucks!

I ride the RE on the street exclusively and have a TBR7 for off road stuff, which I do less each year, and I would gladly give up an inch of ground clearance and an inch of seat foam for a lower bike.

Old 06-13-2020, 11:15 AM   #30