Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2015, 01:59 PM   #3016

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjr21 View Post
9.2lbs including clamp and heat shield

There is a catalytic converter in the very front of the muffler. It is about 3" long and about that in diameter.

Biggest obstruction is the end tube on the muffler. The internal baffling is a perforated core with packing surround.

Overall looks like a very nice design for maximum flow.
Sounds like I won't be having to build my own exhaust to make me happy. Most manufacturers today know how to tune an exhaust for a single cylinder engine to match other components selected as a set to provide certain power characteristics. That is why engines of the same displacement can have such wildly different outputs. 250cc engines available today range from 12 to 45 horsepower, some with flat torque from just off idle to 10,000+rpm, some that won't pull a bike at less than 7,000rpm. Exhaust tuning is a HUGE part in the overall formula for each bike.

Old 04-21-2015, 02:50 PM   #3017

First fill up.
2.685 gallons at 161.0 miles = 59.96mpg 75% highways 55-65mph 50% 2 up

Flashing Empty on gauge at 143.3 miles.

Based on this I think an extra 50 miles range once Empty flashes without any issues. and almost double to full empty but with fuel pump overheating issues.
2001 H-D V-Rod
1999 Ducati 750SS
1997 Yamaha Riva
1995 KTM 250
1970 Honda CB350
1952 Ariel Square four

Old 04-21-2015, 03:10 PM   #3018

Fuel pump overheating issues? Care to explain?

Old 04-21-2015, 03:22 PM   #3019

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldqwerty View Post
Fuel pump overheating issues? Care to explain?
Fuel pumps need to be immersed in fuel to not overheat and fail.

Total volume of fuel tank is not useable without damaging fuel pump.

So 4.2 gallon tank
~3.3 useable volume
~2.5 till Empty flashes

So when the idiot light starts flashing then you still have about 40% total volume of fuel in the tank. A carbureted bike has the advantage here. It can use 99.9% of its fuel before there is any issue. At 100% it stops running.

I guess I will have to drain tank and use scope while adding fuel to find actual volume that immerses pump completely.
2001 H-D V-Rod
1999 Ducati 750SS
1997 Yamaha Riva
1995 KTM 250
1970 Honda CB350
1952 Ariel Square four

Old 04-21-2015, 04:49 PM   #3020

I kinda doubt engineers would expect 25% of fuel capacity would be necessary just to keep the fuel pump cool. One reason I jumped on the Cyclone was its tank capacity as I do not like risking the hazards of extra cans and bottles, pouring, filtering, etc. If the stock fuel pump precludes using most of that capacity I'll simply install an inline aftermarket pump and be done with it, but I won't be happy.

Old 04-21-2015, 05:07 PM   #3021

Quote:
I kinda doubt engineers would expect 25% of fuel capacity would be necessary just to keep the fuel pump cool. One reason I jumped on the Cyclone was its tank capacity as I do not like risking the hazards of extra cans and bottles, pouring, filtering, etc. If the stock fuel pump precludes using most of that capacity I'll simply install an inline aftermarket pump and be done with it, but I won't be happy.
oldqwerty, That's a good idea. Would you disconnect the original and just leave it in the tank? Also would you use a hi pressure or lo pressure inline pump? I looked on the bay auction sight and they show both but I don't know which would work on the RX3? prices from $14 on up. rj

Old 04-21-2015, 05:32 PM   #3022

Quote:
This is exactly what the engineers expect. 25% of capacity to cool fuel pump.

http://californiascooterco.com/blog/?p=14589
2001 H-D V-Rod
1999 Ducati 750SS
1997 Yamaha Riva
1995 KTM 250
1970 Honda CB350
1952 Ariel Square four

Old 04-21-2015, 08:26 PM   #3023

I got my tag today for the RX3. The lady behind the counter struggled a bit trying to find the information for it, but luckily the packet Sara sent from CSC contained everything that she needed. In and out within 10 minutes with my new tag! Now I just wish I had the bike! LOL
'02 Yamaha YZF 600 - dirty
'15 CSC RX-3 Cyclone - orange

Old 04-21-2015, 11:14 PM   #3024

I've had my RX-3 for a couple of days now and have completed its first oil change. I was planning a local off-road trip and it occurred to me that I had not seen anything about the exhaust having a spark arrestor. Can anyone shed some light on whether this bike is legal for off-road?

2016 CanAm Spyder F3-L

Old 04-21-2015, 11:29 PM   #3025

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjr21 View Post
This is exactly what the engineers expect. 25% of capacity to cool fuel pump.

http://californiascooterco.com/blog/?p=14589
Well, shucks, I'll just have to fix that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZRider View Post
I've had my RX-3 for a couple of days now and have completed its first oil change. I was planning a local off-road trip and it occurred to me that I had not seen anything about the exhaust having a spark arrestor. Can anyone shed some light on whether this bike is legal for off-road?
There will be a stamping, usually on the spark arrestor, that says "USFS Approved" or something like that. That's what the authorities look for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmorel View Post
oldqwerty, That's a good idea. Would you disconnect the original and just leave it in the tank? Also would you use a hi pressure or lo pressure inline pump? I looked on the bay auction sight and they show both but I don't know which would work on the RX3? prices from $14 on up. rj
Don't know. Might just build a remote sump using the stock pump or add an auxiliary tank or both. I'll decide what to do but it will be a while before it becomes a recurring issue, so plenty of time to think it through.

Anywho, I've done a little surfing and found matched sets of real street tires to fit the stock 17 and 18-inch wheels. You can find that info here. I do plan to wear out the stock tires before changing to street tires, and eventually have two sets of wheels and tires to swap out. Not much available in motorcycle tires that don't fit Harleys or sport bikes around here, so I tend to order tires before they are a crisis issue.

Old 04-22-2015, 01:49 AM   #3026

I have run my Yamaha XT660 down to the last few liters
a few times... I did have to replace a dead pump at
40,000km..
$800 for the pump unit from Mr Yamaha or $30 for just
the pump of E-bay....
guess what one I put in... going to get a spare just in case...

77 Montesa Cota 348 MRR "Malcom Rathnell Replica"...

Current resto projects..
81 Honda CT110...
80 Kawasaki KL250A1...

11 Husaburg TE125 enduro... "sold" along with another 31...
Lifan 125 Pitbike.. "stolen" ...

KIWI BIKER FORUM...... http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/content.php

All the best offroad rides in NZ...
http://www.remotemoto.com/

E-mail... xtpete1@gmail.com

Old 04-22-2015, 02:26 AM   #3027

I spent the better part of Tuesday assembling my Zongshen RX3, registering the bike at the DMV, getting a license plate, and buying insurance. I finally went for a forty-mile ride on pavement, and the bike performed very well.

The U.S. Delphi EFI system performed smoothly, without any flaws. The 6-speed transmission is very smooth, and trouble-free. The bike has a nice clutch, and the 14T/44T sprocket combination is ideally geared for the pavement. The Siemens digital display and analog tachometer are excellent; I really like the gear indicator. The exhaust is quiet, but it has a nice throaty sound. Both brakes performed well, as did the suspension. I road a bit on the interstate highway, and the windshield did a very good job isolating me from the wind. It was a short ride, but I found the seat comfortable. I also like the upright riding position. The bike feels light and is easy to control during low speed maneuvers. The NC250/ZS177MM engine makes good power for a 250cc engine. The LED turn signals and tail light are very nice. The switchgear is also very nice. The Zongshen RX3 is a lot of fun to ride.

I like the saddle, but I dislike the seat cover; it is not very durable. I am going to cover the saddle with some stronger fabric. The headlight casts a nice pattern, but the 35W/35 bulb is too dim. I plan to install a 55W/60 bulb tomorrow, but I have already ordered the upgraded LED headlight.

I didn't take any photographs today. However, I am going to test the stock tires and suspension with some off road riding tomorrow, and I will take some photos at that time.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-22-2015, 02:31 AM   #3028

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss America View Post
I got my tag today for the RX3. The lady behind the counter struggled a bit trying to find the information for it, but luckily the packet Sara sent from CSC contained everything that she needed. In and out within 10 minutes with my new tag! Now I just wish I had the bike! LOL
Good for you.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-22-2015, 02:42 AM   #3029

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
I spent the better part of Tuesday assembling my Zongshen RX3, registering the bike at the DMV, getting a license plate, and buying insurance. I finally went for a forty-mile ride on pavement, and the bike performed very well.

The U.S. Delphi EFI system performed smoothly, without any flaws. The 6-speed transmission is very smooth, and trouble-free. The bike has a nice clutch, and the 14T/44T sprocket combination is ideally geared for the pavement. The Siemens digital display and analog tachometer are excellent; I really like the gear indicator. The exhaust is quiet, but it has a nice throaty sound. Both brakes performed well, as did the suspension. I road a bit on the interstate highway, and the windshield did a very good job isolating me from the wind. It was a short ride, but I found the seat comfortable. I also like the upright riding position. The bike feels light and is easy to control during low speed maneuvers. The NC250/ZS177MM engine makes good power for a 250cc engine. The LED turn signals and tail light are very nice. The switchgear is also very nice. The Zongshen RX3 is a lot of fun to ride.

I like the saddle, but I dislike the seat cover; it is not very durable. I am going to cover the saddle with some stronger fabric. The headlight casts a nice pattern, but the 35W/35 bulb is too dim. I plan to install a 55W/60 bulb tomorrow, but I have already ordered the upgraded LED headlight.

I didn't take any photographs today. However, I am going to test the stock tires and suspension with some off road riding tomorrow, and I will take some photos at that time.
Glad to hear that you've got your bike and enjoyed your first ride

Off out on mine now , unfortunately to work (07.40am),but still love the ride in

Old 04-22-2015, 03:08 AM   #3030

Quote:
Originally Posted by katflap View Post
Glad to hear that you've got your bike and enjoyed your first ride

Off out on mine now , unfortunately to work (07.40am),but still love the ride in
Thank you, Kat.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220