Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2015, 06:27 AM   #1516
Banned

:) again appreciate everyones responses and advice help!

I am investigating the DeLorme and ACR systems as I totally agree with its need..on a bike even more than cross country ultralighting! (for me, at least!hehe
Cheap insurance, for a very big downside should it be needed, and NOT available!
Ram mount on the way
The current GPS I have is a Garmin Nuvi 50. It was a Black Friday special for $75.00(or so, I think).

Old 01-26-2015, 06:39 AM   #1517

Did you order a power cord? I think the Nuvi 50 will only run for 2 hours on battery power.

I am going to wait a little before I purchase the ACR ResQLink PLB. I discovered ACR periodically issues $50 rebates, and I am going to wait until the next rebate is available.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 01-26-2015, 10:08 AM   #1518

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
Did you order a power cord? I think the Nuvi 50 will only run for 2 hours on battery power.

I am going to wait a little before I purchase the ACR ResQLink PLB. I discovered ACR periodically issues $50 rebates, and I am going to wait until the next rebate is available.
I have an older ACR. They say to replace them every 5 years. I need to do that. Also, be sure to register your beacon with NOAA.

Old 01-26-2015, 03:23 PM   #1519

Quote:
Originally Posted by G19Tony View Post
I have an older ACR. They say to replace them every 5 years. I need to do that. Also, be sure to register your beacon with NOAA.
Thanks for the good tips, Tony. I'm just learning about the PLBs, so I don't know much about the older units. You can test the new units for battery strength and proper satellite connection. However, each test drains the battery a little. After 6 years owners are supposed to send the PLBs to an authorized service center to replace the battery. Opening the units will void the 1-year warranty. However, one can easily replace the batteries himself in the new ACR ResQLink PLBs. I provide the details in my other thread, which is linked below.

http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=14367

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 01-26-2015, 05:41 PM   #1520
Banned

Oh Yeah:)

Definitely got the cord! A must with that unit...and its less than 1 hour, IMHO..

Old 01-26-2015, 06:51 PM   #1521

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
Thanks for the good tips, Tony. I'm just learning about the PLBs, so I don't know much about the older units. You can test the new units for battery strength and proper satellite connection. However, each test drains the battery a little. After 6 years owners are supposed to send the PLBs to an authorized service center to replace the battery. Opening the units will void the 1-year warranty. However, one can easily replace the batteries himself in the new ACR ResQLink PLBs. I provide the details in my other thread, which is linked below.

http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=14367
I also have an older SPOT. Along with the subscription, I pay a little extra and get 100K worth of rescue insurance. Helicopters aren't cheap. I've heard of people getting hit with the bill.

Old 01-26-2015, 07:47 PM   #1522

Quote:
Originally Posted by G19Tony View Post
I also have an older SPOT. Along with the subscription, I pay a little extra and get 100K worth of rescue insurance. Helicopters aren't cheap. I've heard of people getting hit with the bill.
Thank you; the rescue insurance is another excellent tip. I might be wrong, but I think one can purchase the rescue insurance from SPOT, even if he doesn't own a SPOT device.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 01-26-2015, 07:51 PM   #1523

Quote:
Originally Posted by thillskier View Post
Definitely got the cord! A must with that unit...and its less than 1 hour, IMHO..
Good for you. I think Garmin claims 2 hours of battery service, but I'm not surprised the actual service is lower.

Make sure you find a way to hold the power cable securely in the USB port of the Garmin Nuvi. Otherwise, the vibrations from riding will weaking the USB port, resulting in intermittent problems, and ultimate damage to the port.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 01-26-2015, 08:02 PM   #1524
Banned

Sent RX-3 to my sons May have a "buddy rider" for future adv rides:)!

My son, stationed at Ft Riley, KS is a 2nd yr MP there. He is still "low on the totem pole" so get no holidays off, but is building some leave days for my parents 60th anniversary, and his 20th birthday cruise this July.
he had a few small dirt riders and an atv , but never a proper motorcycle or any on road riding experiences. He got my email re my RX=3 and the ride back and if following this thread somewhat (time allowing for now).
He is thinking the perfect solution for leaving here, and then not needing a rental when home visiting, PLUS we can have some great time doing some adv rides from KS and here!

It would make the perfect transportation solution for his occasional time here to visit his family on both sides (his mom and I are separated with new families for over 10 yrs). Maybe even get a trade in/up bike if someone buys it and is dissatisfied after Baha ride or whatever!
Is there a popular and well used China bike classifieds anywhere? Maybe we should start one SPUD! for QUALITY chinese products ONLY, ie those proven to have sales, parts, and warranty suport as promised, to insure a non freefall resale pricing market.

IF there is one already (or some) please link me to them...I believve MANY eople will be interested in such a site, AND will help insure OUR RX-3's will not experience undue loss at resale, f we get in a pinch or decide to change for whatever reason(s)...

Old 01-26-2015, 08:11 PM   #1525

We have a Free Classifieds forum on this website.

http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=129

I don't know of any other classified ads for Chinese motorcycles only. If you wish to pursue other options, I do encourage you to start a thread on this topic in our Off-Topic/General Discussion forum.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 01-26-2015, 09:34 PM   #1526
Banned

Dab of silicone or ?

Excellent point (re damaged and intermittent power through USB port on Nuvi, ESPECIALLY on a vibrating bouncing motorcycle, exposed to wind, and the elements!
What is YOUR solution SPud, (or is your power supplied differently?

Link for Rescue insurance anyone? I bet thats EXPENSIVE AS ALL HELL!

DOn't they give you a choice/heads up BEFORE doing any billed rescue work, though, and any choices as to alternate (cheaper) solutions to your emergency? (IE: Sea Tow (if a boat), or wrecker service if applicable for your "emergency".

I read some of the stories of "rescues". Many are just pissed/scared/angry/frustrated dates/wives/husbands/significant others, not happy with getting wet and cold and the engine stopping(ON A SAILBOAT)!! no less, in GStream, less than 30 miles off shore fully provisioned and no injuries.

There are some complaints that CGdoesn't tow their boat if non life threatening...
I believe protocol is if emergency without outside assistance requested (when it would not endanger anyones life) they shoot and or otherwise scuttle the boat, so its not a navigation hazard to other mariners.
Seems harsh, possibly, BUT cuts down on frivilous or non life threatening emergency calls, I'll wager!

Old 01-26-2015, 09:35 PM   #1527
Banned

Great info...again:)!

Thanks,Spud! I'm checking it out now...

Old 01-26-2015, 09:38 PM   #1528
Banned

AFter I take delivery and the first batch gets delivered I will:)

Great idea, Spud. I'll do just thAT ON HERE..mAY pm YOU BEFORE HAND FOR YOUR HELP..i'D WANT TO MAKE SURE YOU THINK ITS AS GOOD AS IT CAN BE...tWO HEADS BETTER THAN ONE AND ALL THAT!
Oops, sorry bout them caps...

Old 01-26-2015, 10:01 PM   #1529

Quote:
Originally Posted by thillskier View Post
Excellent point (re damaged and intermittent power through USB port on Nuvi, ESPECIALLY on a vibrating bouncing motorcycle, exposed to wind, and the elements!
What is YOUR solution SPud, (or is your power supplied differently?...
Because it only has a USB port, I always use AA battery power for my Garmin, eTrex Legend HcX, GPS receiver. I suggest you check the following thread at ADVRider for ideas regarding how to power your Garmin Nuvi via the USB port.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=614360

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 01-26-2015, 11:30 PM   #1530
Banned

More great suggestions!

Thanks SPud.(again;0!
I started a new thread about an idea I had to have owners post up where they are located (home), if they have any services to offer fellow ZOngers, what they are, etc.
Link is below:
http://www.chinariders.net/showthrea...429#post178429
If thats not right, please help, Spud hehe!