Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Everything Else
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2010, 08:26 PM   #31

Yep, our Pastor's scoot is yellow and orange, and that's not Brad's style. Not everybody has been assimilated by Zong orange.

Yet.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-18-2010, 09:12 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Yep, our Pastor's scoot is yellow and orange, and that's not Brad's style. Not everybody has been assimilated by Zong orange.

Yet.
Perhaps he is not assimilated...yet. However, resistance is futile. 8)

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-30-2010, 01:34 AM   #33

So how is he making out with the scooter? I guess we haven't had the greatest weather for it really yet.

Old 05-30-2010, 01:55 AM   #34

Yes, please give us an update, Derryk.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-30-2010, 02:42 AM   #35

He's still riding it. I met him for coffee on Thursday, and he's lovin' it.

I don't think he knows what the range is. He doesn't travel far, and he charges it often. I hope it lasts him a long time. I'll see him tomorrow at Church, so I'll ask him for more comments.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-30-2010, 03:18 AM   #36

Right on, glad to hear he's enjoying it

Old 05-30-2010, 03:23 AM   #37

Quote:
He's still riding it. I met him for coffee on Thursday, and he's lovin' it. ...
That's wonderful.
Quote:
...I don't think he knows what the range is. He doesn't travel far, and he charges it often. I hope it lasts him a long time. I'll see him tomorrow at Church, so I'll ask him for more comments.
Please do relay his comments, and his impressions of his new scooter.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 05-30-2010, 04:14 PM   #38

I chatted with Brad today, and he's learned a few new things.

During normal riding on level grade, the amp meter displays a current draw. When he's trying to climb a steep hill, the amp meter shows a very high current draw. Upon braking with only the rear brake, the amp meter swings the other way and shows that the battery is taking a charge. He also has a volt meter.

Brad has also learned how to arm and disarm the alarm system.

The Chinglish manual doesn't explain these things, so it takes some time to figure it all out. The next thing we're going to do is move the charger connector to the space under the seat; that'll allow Brad to keep the charger under the seat, away from the elements and thieves. He has to store the scoot outside, so such precautions are necessary.

Our Church is hoping to have a float in the local Canada Day parade this year, and Brad plans on riding his scooter along with the group. We'll see how the batteries perform that day.

Old 05-31-2010, 01:08 AM   #39

Quote:
...The next thing we're going to do is move the charger connector to the space under the seat; that'll allow Brad to keep the charger under the seat, away from the elements and thieves. He has to store the scoot outside, so such precautions are necessary...
Thank you for the nice update, WG. Our world would be a much nicer place if it didn't have any theives.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 10-04-2010, 08:36 AM   #40

How about a longer term update. Is the scoot still running around?

Old 10-04-2010, 11:38 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal25
How about a longer term update. Is the scoot still running around?
X2!

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 10-04-2010, 11:55 AM   #42

About a month ago, Brad and I got into the connectors at the control box, and we found the wire that controls the governor. In stock form, there's a small switch next to the throttle that allows switching from (so called) high speed to low speed, and it's a nuisance if you hit it accidentally. We disconnected it to allow full speed only.

I chatted with Brad this past Saurday at our annual Church event that benefits single parents. We provide free oil changes, along with whatever the sponsors are able to donate, like wiper blades, ww fluid, air fresheners, whatever. We also had a clothing section set up, and the single parents were able to help themselves to whatever they needed. There was also a free haircutting service for the kids, and then a photographer provided free photos as well. I think we changed oil on over 30 cars on Saturday.

Back to the topic: Brad reported that the scooter is somewhat faster off the line now, as long as he eases on the throttle, rather than WOT starts. He also says that hills are a little easier, and top speed seems a little higher. We can't quantify any of this yet, since there is no speedometer. We've considered installing an electric speedometer for bicycles.

Both Brad and I are concerned about his inability to get away from trouble quickly, like making a left in traffic. He's considering a gas scooter. We found a BW (Zuma to our American friends) at a local dealer (that is an aquaintance of mine). It has a lot of miles on it, but Brad can have it for around $800. He can likely sell his existing scooter for $500. Brad hasn't decided yet, because he'll have to factor in insurance and plates, along with fuel.

Old 10-04-2010, 12:06 PM   #43

Great to hear about Brad.

Yes, to a degree there is safety in horsepower, maybe gas will serve him better.

What kind of range has he been getting? Has he been stranded?

Blessings on you and your church for such a wonderful program! I love it, and the haircuts and pictures are a sweet touch!

My church has a program called Elijah's Pitstop, fixing cars for free for people who need the extra help.

Ironically I don't participate because it's on Saturdays, the day I volunteer as a doctor to run a free clinic, also church sponsored. Since I can't do both at the same time I knew that medicine trumps wrenching in my skill set so I serve there.

Old 10-04-2010, 12:12 PM   #44

Service is service Doc; blessings on you as well.

Brad has never been stranded; his regular riding pattern never gets him too far from home, and nowhere near the capacity of the batteries. Besides, if he rides across town to my place, he can always plug in when he gets here.

No idea what the actual range is, but I've heard of people travelling 10-15 miles.