Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Everything Else
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2016, 12:36 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BARLOW View Post
when i was building brigs engines for my race carts, i only had to change the jets to go from gas to alcohol ... jets had to be about 2x the size as gas and as you may guess, it used about 2x as much but made mad power over gas ... had to change oil every time you ran it though
Man I bet those go karts we're insane fast with alcohol fuel. Just don't spill it, feel the burn, but can't see it.

Alcohol powered drag cars. Alcohol powered Indy cars, etc. Higher volatility lower Flashpoint cooler burning. Great for their purpose but for real world use not so much. I have been dosing mine Bashan 250 with the stable 360 product. I don't think they use alcohol dosed gasoline in China so the components definitely are not set up for it.

The main issues I've heard with alcohol is the incompatibility and corrosive effects on rubberized parts causing degration. The larger jet ports also makes sense . I know on outdoor powequipment such as newer lawnmowers the fuel components are being equipped to endure the higher alcohol content.

Good thread.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 03-29-2016, 07:47 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger View Post
My new Stihl products have never seen any ethanol. My mower sat all winter with Premium ethanol free gas in it. Started right up and mowed the yard.
i run higer octane e-free fuel in my mower, and i only run the stihl MotoMix in any 2 stroke equipment (not my oil injected kawasaki ke100 though....LOL)

helps having a discount that brings things to 10% over cost..... gotta love working at a dealer....

Old 03-29-2016, 07:50 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBike View Post
Man I bet those go karts we're insane fast with alcohol fuel. Just don't spill it, feel the burn, but can't see it.

Alcohol powered drag cars. Alcohol powered Indy cars, etc. Higher volatility lower Flashpoint cooler burning. Great for their purpose but for real world use not so much. I have been dosing mine Bashan 250 with the stable 360 product. I don't think they use alcohol dosed gasoline in China so the components definitely are not set up for it.

The main issues I've heard with alcohol is the incompatibility and corrosive effects on rubberized parts causing degration. The larger jet ports also makes sense . I know on outdoor powequipment such as newer lawnmowers the fuel components are being equipped to endure the higher alcohol content.

Good thread.
if you look on youtube, there are some videos of non flexfuel autos running the e85, one chevy i was watching did a complete tare down of the motor and fuel system, and it was in better shape than one running regular gas, even the rubber and plastic parts ... so i am not convinced that it harms anything at all ...

Old 03-30-2016, 07:55 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBike View Post
...I don't think they use alcohol dosed gasoline in China so the components definitely are not set up for it...
Depends the location Some farming province promotes it...
btw. crap gas is NORM in rural areas http://fanyi.baidu.com/transpage?que...to=en&render=1

Old 03-30-2016, 10:57 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitze View Post
Has anyone tried to make a motorcycle run on just E85. Someone asked me and I don't have the answer if it can be done. He wants a pit bike or dirt bike running E85

I kind of think it's a dumb idea because of the lack of filling stations.

Maybe start with EFI not a carburator? I don,t know.

Any help/info would be appreciated.
If I had an E85 station near me, I'd certainly try it.

Simply using E85 in a low compression engine would result in poor performance, but a high compression engine could take advantage of the E85 octane rating. I'd build the engine to be in the range of 12:1 or 13:1, and change the fuel line to clear snowmobile hose.

Parts are so cheap for these motors that it would be a fun and low-cost experiment.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-30-2016, 12:48 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
If I had an E85 station near me, I'd certainly try it.

Simply using E85 in a low compression engine would result in poor performance, but a high compression engine could take advantage of the E85 octane rating. I'd build the engine to be in the range of 12:1 or 13:1, and change the fuel line to clear snowmobile hose.

Parts are so cheap for these motors that it would be a fun and low-cost experiment.
i really want a complete extra head, to try and get it milled a little and get the compression up ... that should get the power up a little, i just do not know how much compression the rod, crank and bearings could hold ... i would love to get about 10:1 ... then i would want bigger valves, bigger bore carb and intake and a better pipe ... lol

Old 03-30-2016, 01:14 PM   #22

Done right alcohol does some amazing things. Any one ever see the midgets race? Hundreds of horses out of a 4 cyl chev II motor with a almost diesel compression ratio. Wheelies going down the track. Had a friend who raced one. Had to go to extremes to keep water out of fuel. Drain and dump remaining fuel after each race. If you had a source of fuel with no water in it that might be a fun project. For an every day ride it might be more trouble than worth.