Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Everything Else
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-2010, 04:30 PM   #31

I wish we could get little trucks or SUV's with 4 cylinder diesels here.

Old 02-04-2010, 04:44 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
I wish we could get little trucks or SUV's with 4 cylinder diesels here.
Amen, brother Bill!

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 02-04-2010, 04:58 PM   #33

It would have to be simple, basic, affordable. Maybe a stripped Jeep (kinda pricey anyways), or like a Ford Ranger. There were diesel Rangers fro 85-88 or so. They are sought after now by Ranger guys .

Imagine a 80HP or so diesel in a little truck or SUV. you could get 50 MPG+, have a biodiesel option when (not if) the SHTF, and it would last forever. Some guy was selling a diesel Rabbit p/u (remember those) on CL here. I'd have looked at it but I blew my 'spare' $ on my ATV!

Old 02-04-2010, 10:28 PM   #34

You could always investigate crossing the Northern border to buy a SUV. We've had diesels in lotsa stuff for thirty years. Even the Smart car is available as a diesel in Canada.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 02-05-2010, 08:05 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
You could always investigate crossing the Northern border to buy a SUV. We've had diesels in lotsa stuff for thirty years. Even the Smart car is available as a diesel in Canada.
They get all the good stuff up there. I can't think of anything on the new market that really fits. The tracker/sidekick would be a good fit. The samurai is for off-road.

I have had jeeps. Really like the cherokee, but the newest ones are 10 years old. All the newer models stay away from.

The sidekick came in a 4 door too. I was looking at some of those.

Old 02-05-2010, 08:50 AM   #36

Hold the phone. Most folks that buy diesel cars/trucks do so because they are cheap (not the vehicle, the owner). Stick a OHC little diesel engine in a vehicle, an engine with a timing belt that HAS to be changed regularly, and I will show you a very poor survival rate over 100,000km. Add that to the fact that car guys aren't interested in touching one and I *think* you will find very few lasting here to a ripe old age. The only ones that seem to last (in my neck of the woods) are: Mercedes, Toyota Land Cruisers, and old Internationals (Nissan).

I have seen and done the nicest conversions into 1 ton pick-up trucks with 53 series Detroit engines. I'd like to do a conversion with a DT466, but that hasn't happened yet, maybe sometime. I have my eye on a Nissan (International), that is lingering, waiting for a new home.

Old 02-05-2010, 10:41 AM   #37

Alot of gassers need their timing belts changed too. My isuzu diesel chevette made it to 150K running strong. The car just fell apart. The MB was well passed 300K. Getting tired, but still ran and it was neglected.

Most little diesels are good for about 200K with proper maintenance. Also the operator needs to know how to care for them. The turbos need a cool down period after driving.

The jap 4cyl diesel require more preventative maintenance. So do the VW diesels.

Allen

Old 02-05-2010, 11:53 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger
Alot of gassers need their timing belts changed too. My isuzu diesel chevette made it to 150K running strong. The car just fell apart. The MB was well passed 300K. Getting tired, but still ran and it was neglected.

Most little diesels are good for about 200K with proper maintenance. Also the operator needs to know how to care for them. The turbos need a cool down period after driving.

The jap 4cyl diesel require more preventative maintenance. So do the VW diesels.

Allen
I always liked the old 240D's. With a 4 speed they could almost outrun a good riding lawnmower, but very solid and nice driving cars. With an automatic I don't think they could outrun a dog chasing them down the street

Old 02-05-2010, 12:02 PM   #39

My 300d was slow until the turbo got spooled up. It was like driving a slingshot. The smell of fries coming in through the sunroof was interesting. The guys on bikes behind always pulled off into the fast food places.

Burned about 1000 gallons of vegetable oil, trans fluid, used motor oil through that thing.

Old 02-05-2010, 04:07 PM   #40

I have to confess that I am looking to buy a VW powered sandrail. I used to own a honda Odysee and while it was a blast to drive, It beat the heack out of me with its limited or non existent suspention.

I still enjoy the dual sport but would like to share some off roading with my girlfriend. My brother has a very nice one but uses it only as a street vehicle.

As far as mini trucks go, I was out on a ride on the bike last year and stumbled on this place.
http://northtexasminitrucks.com/index.htm
They had trucks and minis unlike those I had seen before. Check out there sold vehicles.

Old 03-09-2010, 02:05 PM   #41

Got me an 87 Samurai on 33x12.50 tires. It's straight, rust free, & in overall good condition.... other than needing a motor. I'm actually dropping the lift somewhat & taking it back down to either 30's or 31's. Gas mileage didn't suffer much with the tires, but 63hp isn't enough to spin them to highway speeds. :?