Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pure Dirt
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2020, 12:02 AM   #1

Apollo 250 92 octane or higher?

My bike says to use 92 octane or higher. I’m a bit confused. I can’t get anything over 91 lol.

Does it matter if I use 87 or 91? Will I see any improvements or should I stick to 87?

Old 04-09-2020, 03:55 AM   #2

It will run on 87. Just make sure it is ethanol free. DO NOT RUN ANY GAS WITH ETHANOL IN IT. You will probably have to search for it. I am lucky. In my area I have 2 stations that carry 90 octane ethanol free. It cost the same as premium gas with ethanol. I have never understood that. It is cheaper to make because they don't have to add the ethanol. Supply and demand I guess. At these stations I have noticed All landscapers and construction workers always get the ethanol free. They learned the hard way probably.

Old 04-09-2020, 04:23 AM   #3

It's a different way of measuring octane. 87 is our equivalent. 10% ethanol is fine as long as you drain the float bowl before storage, or use Stabil. My 13 year old Lifan has used 10% ethanol regular gas since new with zero problems.

Old 04-09-2020, 05:05 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudflap View Post
It's a different way of measuring octane. 87 is our equivalent. 10% ethanol is fine as long as you drain the float bowl before storage, or use Stabil. My 13 year old Lifan has used 10% ethanol regular gas since new with zero problems.
May depend on your climate and such. Where I live we have high humidity. This is what I see a lot.

Old 04-10-2020, 01:56 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudflap View Post
It's a different way of measuring octane. 87 is our equivalent...
For further reading: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane...rement_methods

Old 04-10-2020, 01:15 PM   #6

You only see 91 in your location because of the altitude you are at.

Octane rating for engines is done at sea level.

Old 04-10-2020, 02:47 PM   #7

That's incorrect. His altitude has nothing to do with their fuel octane recommendations. Engines are capable of running on lower octane at altitude. The reason that 91 octane is listed here is because they're quoting research octane number, like what is commonly used in China and Europe. The US measures a different way, thus our numbers appear lower. 87 (R+M/2) is roughly equivalent to 91 RON.

Old 09-15-2023, 06:46 PM   #8

I'm running regular 87 octane in my nephew's Apollo Blazer and I'm going to try to run hi octane in the future. It seems like it pings just a bit at idle, but I bet it would go away with high octane.

This is close to sea level in NJ, FYI.

Old 09-15-2023, 09:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyC View Post
I'm running regular 87 octane in my nephew's Apollo Blazer and I'm going to try to run hi octane in the future. It seems like it pings just a bit at idle, but I bet it would go away with high octane.

This is close to sea level in NJ, FYI.
It's not actually pinging at idle, just making some typical engine noise. Try going up a long hill at low rpm and listen for ping or knock. Detonation is the concern and it occurs when the engine is under high load, not at idle. With the very low compression ratios that Chinese motorcycle engines use 87 octane should be fine.

Old 09-15-2023, 10:32 PM   #10

American 87 is the Chinese 91.

Old 09-30-2023, 09:17 PM   #11

As noted, American 87 is approximately the same as 91-92 RON. The American number uses an average of static and dynamic octane ratings from when that mattered, the blends in modern fuels mean RON is just as accurate.

I am running 91 RON in my son's bike, but I am running an iridium plug, which is slightly colder than stock. While theoretically a higher octane fuel will give slightly less power we found it is not noticeable - I initially ran 98 as I didn't know what it was rated for or the compression ratio.

I run my road going vehicles on E10, especially air-cooled, but never use it on off road or marine even with stabiliser. My experience is the stabiliser "wears out" and it gels, clogs, etc. If you suspect you have had some ethanol in there, try pouring a good slug of acetone in the tank - old racer's trick, it dissolves a lot of stuff, including recombining alcohol, raises octane rating, and it ignites more easily.