Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2015, 08:59 PM   #1

1976 Yamaha DT250C Project

Heres a pic of the bike as it sits now. I bought it about 3 years ago as something to ride while i was working on my Honda Interceptor...Yea didnt plan on the Interceptor getting parked longer then originally planned lol...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Parts installed so far:

MSR CR Mid height Handle bars
Renthal dual compound grips
Ken Sean carbon fiber mirrors

Parts still needed:

Battery (honda dealer sold me the wrong type and didnt even fill it)
Fork seals/Dust caps
Chain and sprockets
Kenda K270 tires
used rear shocks from ebay to run till i can have the Yamaha Thermaflow type shocks rebuilt.

This bike has been a hoot to ride over the past few years. I need to take the carb off at some point and clean it because the needle is sticking on it and it dumps fuel out of the overflow on the float bowl. Funny how i have the time to do this now finally but not the extra $$ to get any parts if needed lol

Note: these pics are a couple years old but the bike looks pretty much the same as of this time.
'80 Honda XL185S
'76 Yamaha DT250C dual sport
Baja Wilderness Trail 250
'07 Honda Shadow 750 Areo Trike
'01 Harley Davidson Softail Deuce
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyj812 View Post
You can't pin this one on me, my wife is still mad at me. I don't need your wife mad at me too. LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
Disclaimer: The above post by 2LZ is in no way the view of this site, other members or Bruce's llama. It is the opinion of 2LZ and 2LZ alone. ;-)

Old 08-17-2015, 12:46 AM   #2

All any project takes is time and money. I usually have one, but not the other.

Thanks for starting the thread.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-17-2015, 03:08 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
All any project takes is time and money. I usually have one, but not the other.

Thanks for starting the thread.
No problem, One thing i may end up doing with this bike is playing with the jets a bit when i do the carb to get a bit more 'snap' out of it. I am not sure what carb is on the bike at this time but i may seriously look at the idea of grabbing a mikuni at some stage if it doesnt already have one...plus i may look again at that idle mixture jet you linked to in my Gio thread if it will work on the existing carb..or if i can find a mikuni that can use that jet and that is compatible with this bike.
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
You can't pin this one on me, my wife is still mad at me. I don't need your wife mad at me too. LOL
Quote:
Disclaimer: The above post by 2LZ is in no way the view of this site, other members or Bruce's llama. It is the opinion of 2LZ and 2LZ alone. ;-)

Old 08-17-2015, 03:55 AM   #4

Indeed, thanks for starting this interesting thread.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 08-17-2015, 07:36 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
Indeed, thanks for starting this interesting thread.
No problem, once i get a free moment long enough to dig up as many early photos as i can of when i first got it...i will prob eventually start up a thread on my '85 Honda VF750F Interceptor as well. That bike is the one that has changed the most dramatically....When it was originally built in '85 it was a Red/White painted bike then sometime along the way it was in an accident and possibly repainted in the dark cherry color i found it in when i got it in '06 but at that stage it was still pretty much stock other then color. around '08 i had laid it down a couple times in a couple low speed incidents and thats when it went to a combination of satin and semi gloss black. between its cherry stage and its black stage it gained several modifications. But enough about that bike for now...it has its own story to tell later...

Back to the Yamaha this thread was started for...Its kind of a funny story how it was acquired....i had a near miss on the above aforementioned Interceptor due to water getting into the fuel and causing a high speed stall which in itself caused a nearly 10 km walk pushing a 540 lb motorcycle....anyways...While i had it in the shop and with it looking like it would be there for quite awhile i wanted to be able to still go riding. I was told of a Honda CB900F that was for sale and went and looked at it..That bike was a nice machine in need of a bit of wrench time that could be done on the fly. I saved up the cash for it along side the money to finish repairing the Interceptor. However i returned to the sellers house on the day i stated i would be back and the guy was no where to be found...Couldnt reach him or get in contact in any form...So i ended up doing a search on Kijiji (canadian version of craigslist basically) for bikes that were within my price range and that were street rideable. During this search i found this Yamaha on there and had remembered seeing and looking at this bike at a local dealership a couple years before. So i went to see if i was correct on it being the same bike i seen and i was correct. Took it for a test ride and bought it right on the spot soon after. I took the remaining cash that i had saved up for the CB and used it to get a replacement set of handlebars, grips and a replacement battery...however said battery was the incorrect type and wasnt filled at the honda dealer i bought it from even though thats how they did things normally..so the battery went back and the bike still has the battery it had when i first bought it. Im not quite sure how old the Dunlop Trials tires that are on the bike are...they are still in decent shape and barely show any signs of weather cracking so i will most likely run them for a bit longer if not outright build a second set of wheels and tires for the bike and keep the current assemblies as spares.
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Quote:

Old 08-17-2015, 10:09 AM   #6

For excellent jet info, including dimensions, go to www.jetsrus.com

The battery in your Yamaha doesn't do much, other than provide storage for the charging system and help the signals and horn. You could certainly try a similar capacity in a gel cell, which is normally smaller and cheaper. A 12V5AH gel cell would likely do the trick, and they're often cheap at Princess. The nice by-product is that there is no vent, so acid doesn't drip on the frame.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-17-2015, 11:06 AM   #7

Quote:
For excellent jet info, including dimensions, go to www.jetsrus.com

The battery in your Yamaha doesn't do much, other than provide storage for the charging system and help the signals and horn. You could certainly try a similar capacity in a gel cell, which is normally smaller and cheaper. A 12V5AH gel cell would likely do the trick, and they're often cheap at Princess. The nice by-product is that there is no vent, so acid doesn't drip on the frame.
Thanks for the link for the Jets, as for going Gel cell...i wish it was possible but the bike is 6 volt so im not sure if they even make one for that application.
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Quote:

Old 08-17-2015, 03:00 PM   #8

Sure they do. I bought 6v4ah gel cell batteries for my Suzuki TS bikes. They worked great. I even bought a charger for it for cheap on eBay.

Old 08-17-2015, 03:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Sure they do. I bought 6v4ah gel cell batteries for my Suzuki TS bikes. They worked great. I even bought a charger for it for cheap on eBay.
Now you have my attention!
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Quote:

Old 08-17-2015, 03:29 PM   #10

I can't recall what I spent for 6v4ah batteries at a local electronics shop, but it was around $15 each. The charger was around $5, including shipping from China.

Old 08-17-2015, 05:10 PM   #11

Quote:
I can't recall what I spent for 6v4ah batteries at a local electronics shop, but it was around $15 each. The charger was around $5, including shipping from China.
Sad part is there are no electronics shops here...So it could be interesting trying to source a Gel cell...But on another note do the gel cells charge fine on the TS? Charger im not too concerned about since i can always go with a Genius charger for that.
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Quote:

Old 08-18-2015, 10:33 AM   #12

To the bike, it's just a lead acid battery. I had no trouble with it.

Do you ever get to Edmonton or Saskatoon? I'm sure you'd find one there. Just take measurements of your battery box first.

Old 08-18-2015, 12:59 PM   #13

Quote:
To the bike, it's just a lead acid battery. I had no trouble with it.

Do you ever get to Edmonton or Saskatoon? I'm sure you'd find one there. Just take measurements of your battery box first.
I very rarely go to either one. Last time i was in Edmonton was 2013 and the last time i was in Saskatoon was 2009, Nature of my jobs caused that...but now that im down to one job its a touch easier to consider taking that 2.5 hr drive lol
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Quote:

Old 08-18-2015, 11:13 PM   #14

There's always mail order. I'll bet you could get one mailed from Active Components or someplace similar for cheap.

Old 08-19-2015, 01:18 AM   #15

Stock 6N4B-2A-3
102*49*94 | Terminal position http://www.gs-battery.com.tw/images/...erminal-2w.gif = W17
This http://www.active123.com/BT6V5-6-Vol...-Prodview.html seems can be jammed in