Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pit/Pocket Bikes & Scooters
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2013, 10:40 AM   #31

I composed a post yesterday that detailed some work I did on Pastor Jim's scooter on the weekend, and then the forum froze on me. Let's try again...

Pastor Jim bought a genuine Honda Givi trunk from my buddy (the buddy with the Honda Silverwing), and he needed it to be installed. He also wanted a more free-flowing muffler, and some extra LED rear signals, because his stock rear signals are very difficult to see in the sunlight.

I removed his original rear rack from the aluminum tail section, and marked it for drilling. The two forward holes were no problem, but I had to bridge the rear holes with a piece of aluminum channel.

I used some stainless hardware to install the two-piece mounting rack. It has rubber bushings and tube spacers that allow a bit of "give", rather than it being totally rigid. Much like the JCW trunk, this trunk will detach from the rack with just a key.

The muffler was a CL score, and was originally from a ZX-6, IIRC. My buddy relocated the bracket with his TIG welder, and I wrapped the muffler with a stainless T-bolt clamp to support the rear. I bent a bracket to suit the clamp.

Pastor Jim will likely paint the muffler in time. I failed to take a pic of the signals, but they are typical China LED signals, and I mounted them on simple brackets under the trunk. He's quite pleased.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-15-2013, 10:44 AM   #32

It looks like the post worked this time.

I also swapped the main jet to suit the new muffler, and Pastor Jim reports that it woke up the scooter nicely. He can easily cruise on the freeway, although I cautioned him to stay off of it until he gets a bigger scoot. He's eyeing up a 400 Burgman now.

Those who have been following might remember that he started with an electric scooter, sold that and bought a 50cc Saga and sold that and bought the 250. He's loving this means of getting around.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-15-2013, 11:55 AM   #33

Brilliant work. The Pastor is lucky to have you in his flock!

Old 05-15-2013, 12:29 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc View Post
Brilliant work. The Pastor is lucky to have you in his flock!
I'm grateful to have him as a Pastor and a buddy. He's always grateful for my work, and he contributes to the shop fund. 1 Timothy 5:18

Old 05-15-2013, 01:20 PM   #35

You do beautiful work, Brother Weld.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-15-2013, 02:13 PM   #36

That muffler looks like it belongs on there too. Nice work. The babysitter a scooter that I have been eyeing up. I think its a 150cc Tank brand. Looks like it has been down.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:51 PM   #37

Getting the scooter itch again, Kato?

Old 05-16-2013, 04:58 PM   #38

Only if the price is right.