Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Riding > Ride Reports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2012, 10:36 PM   #1

Great ride today!

The KLX and I rode 140 miles in the local area today, including some dirt roads I have not been on before. I DID scout them out from the air though. 8)

I rode in the area of Rattlesnake Mountain. It is the highest local mountain, in about a 50 mile radius or so, at 3527 feet. It was COLD up there!

Most of the ride was off pavement, but I confess to taking the interstate on the way home :oops: . The sun was setting and the temps were dropping. I tucked in on the KLX to not freeze in the 80+ MPH windblast for the 25 mile ride home.

Rattlesnake Mountain

That's the 14,500 foot (est) Mt. Rainier in the distance. It looms large over this little desert area ranch in the photo.

The KLX enjoying Rattlesnake Mountain.

Mt. Adams. Not much less high than Rainier.

The KLX is grazing.

Old 11-30-2012, 10:28 PM   #2

Thanks for posting the nice photos, Doc. However, you visited Rattlesnake Hill; at 3,527 feet above sea level, that hill doesn't qualify for mountain status. :P The streams in East Idaho are over 1,000 higher in elevation than Rattlesnake Hill.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 12-01-2012, 12:13 PM   #3

It is called what it is called Brother Spud! :P

It pales in height to Eastern Idaho but it's still higher than almost anything east of the Mississippi. 8)

Note that I did include pictures of two other local TRUE MOUNTAINS, indeed one that's the second highest in the lower 48, and only about 20 feet lower than the highest, Mt Whitnet in California. The other moiuntain is Mt. Adams, also extremely tall.

Note also our mountains are still growing, and theirs is shrinking. :wink:

Soon WA will chime in and correctly note that even the immense Mt. Rainier is a stump compared to his Mt. Denali. :P

Old 12-01-2012, 12:54 PM   #4

That looks like a terrific riding area; I've never ridden around brush like that.

I forgive you for taking the Interstate.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 12-01-2012, 02:52 PM   #5

I was just kidding you a little, Doc. Indeed, Washington has many tall mountains in the Cascade Range. I was blessed to summit Mount Adams and Mount Saint Helens when I lived in suburban Portland, Oregon. I also summited Mount Hood, which is the tallest mountain in Oregon at 11,249 feet above sea level.

I fell 18 vertical feet, including one bounce, while ascending Disappointment Cleaver on Mount Rainier at approximately 11,000 feet above sea level. 8O God blessed me with safety, and I only sustained minor bruises during that fall. I decided to "hang up my crampons" after I escaped death or serious injury on Mount Rainier. Every year several climbers die on Mount Rainier, which is a formidible mountain, indeed. :? Mount Hood also deserves respect; several climbers usually die every few years on Oregon's tallest mountain. :(

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 12-01-2012, 08:32 PM   #6

I was going to give you credit for your climbs in the Cascade Mountains but I didn't know if that was something you have shared or wanted to keep private.

I'm glad you mentioned your wonderful climbs and testimony. Thanks for the picture also.