Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2021, 09:30 PM   #1

Anyone had a leaking gas tank??

I loosened one screw on the bottom (where the pump is) and when I put it back together it seems like a weld broke or something. It's a slow leak but still a gas leak. I used a washer to get it tighten down tight but it still leaks. I'm trying to avoid $149 tank replacement. Any ideas?

Old 03-14-2021, 01:01 PM   #2

Radiator shop can solder seal it.

Old 03-14-2021, 04:39 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
Never thought about that! Thanks!

Old 03-19-2021, 12:41 PM   #4

I had a leaking tank and found something at my local True Value hardware store that was specifically for leaking gas tanks. If I recall, I didn't have to drain it or even take it off the bike, but it worked very well.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 03-19-2021, 01:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
I had a leaking tank and found something at my local True Value hardware store that was specifically for leaking gas tanks. If I recall, I didn't have to drain it or even take it off the bike, but it worked very well.
It might of been “seal all “

Old 03-20-2021, 05:45 PM   #6

...what ever you do, do NOT get talked into using those internal tank sealers that you pour into the tank, to coat the inside of it, one of the more well known brands is called " Kreem" or something similar. Every single one of those eventually degrade and begin to chip and fail, causing all kinds of trash to go into tank, fuel filter, etc.

Bond it externally, have a good shop weld it, braze it, what ever but don't use the internal sealers ,it's just more trouble down the road and once in , its near impossible to get it ALL off and out once it starts failing., in short you WILL be forced into buying a new tank at that point, so just DONT DO IT lol .
2020 Orion RXB250L

Old 03-20-2021, 06:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCrowRides View Post
...what ever you do, do NOT get talked into using those internal tank sealers that you pour into the tank, to coat the inside of it, one of the more well known brands is called " Kreem" or something similar. Every single one of those eventually degrade and begin to chip and fail, causing all kinds of trash to go into tank, fuel filter, etc.

Bond it externally, have a good shop weld it, braze it, what ever but don't use the internal sealers ,it's just more trouble down the road and once in , its near impossible to get it ALL off and out once it starts failing., in short you WILL be forced into buying a new tank at that point, so just DONT DO IT lol .
Great advice i'm certain.. but damn.. if i had a leaking tank in the past and used an internal tank sealer id be s%$*'n bricks after reading this for sure

Former China Bikes: Tao DBX1, Brozz 250, CSC RX4, Titan DLX, Templar X

Old 03-20-2021, 07:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCrowRides View Post
...what ever you do, do NOT get talked into using those internal tank sealers that you pour into the tank, to coat the inside of it, one of the more well known brands is called " Kreem" or something similar.
I was not aware that there was such a 'fix'. All the ones at True Value, from what I recall, were all external, because I would have remembered a pour-in one. The one I happened to choose worked really well, and went on the outside of the tank at the hole, dried, and I rode that bike for over a year, on my daily commute, probably putting another 6000 or 7000 miles.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 03-27-2021, 04:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
I actually did was Big Bird said and took it to a radiator guy and he welded it for $40 bucks! Such a good idea. He had to dip the tank in some shit so it took the paint off. I just repainted it and it looks like new again. It's all hidden anyway. Hope this helps!