Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2016, 01:20 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by detours View Post
Yes. It was straightforward, but move one turn signal at a time to keep track of which signal and which wire you're working on.

I would follow pretty much these steps to install the LED and torn signals on the 2015.5 light at the same time. Sorry if the steps are over the top. I'm a software tester and I can't help myself when I start writing procedures

I appreciate your thoroughness As someone very new to working on motorcycles with no wrenching experience I very much appreciate clear tutorials

Old 05-17-2016, 07:46 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHawk47 View Post
I solved my power supply mounting by putting it on the back side of the headlight bracket at the bottom using some zip ties. By unplugging the turn signal wires from the harness I was able to get the H4 light connector outside of the housing. Had to route the light harness around the back of the right side of the bracket to get everything together.
Just installed a Genessi LED on my original "2015" headlight assembly. Many thanks to detours and Redhawk for pointing out that the blue heat sink screws off -- the Genessi instructions were not clear. I used a 2 1/4 inch hole saw to cut the back of the headlight to accommodate the heat sink and provide ventilation.

At first I could not get the blue power supply box to fit insight the headlight assembly, and like Redhawk, I placed it outside and zip tied it to a support. But then I thought, detours got it to work, so I went back and tried again. I found there was enough room on the upper side of the inside of the assembly to fit the blue box, and I routed the wires so that the three prong light connector was placed on the upper side opposite where I placed the blue box. It was easier to fit by first screwing the headlight lens assembly to the backing plate, making sure everything fit without forcing. Once these parts are together, there are spaces on the side where you can actually wiggle the wires inside the assembly to be sure everything is free. I then finished by fitting the black plastic trim surround.

The Genessi blub came rotated "one notch" counterclockwise from center. I loosened the set screws and centered the bulb. But when I tried the light on low beam, there was too much light that would hit oncoming cars. So when I redid the installation, I rotated it back to the "counterclockwise one notch" position it came set at originally. I do think the low beam cut off pattern works better in this position.

I agree with detours that the light pattern using the the original headlight design, rather than the "2015.5" version, is not ideal. Particularly the shadow from the positioning light fixture on low beam. But the Genessi bulb works well. I am keeping the extra bulb/power supply as a backup.

Thanks again to detours and Redhawk for advice.

Old 05-17-2016, 10:14 PM   #48

Thanks for the write up on fitting the power supply. I must have lucked out on the position and don't remember how I did it. Your advice will help others a lot.

2015 CSC red RX3 with 19" front wheel, Shinko 804/805, skid plate, tall seat, 13T/45T sprockets, progressive shock, Winyoochanok windshield, GENSSI LED headlight, SW-Motech tankbag, Shorai Lithium battery
2014 Ural Patrol

Old 05-30-2016, 11:58 PM   #49

I just updated the pics in Post 4. They show a lot more detail of the light pattern, but they still don't show how wide the light extends to the side on low beam ... it's a lot better than the pics show.

2015 CSC red RX3 with 19" front wheel, Shinko 804/805, skid plate, tall seat, 13T/45T sprockets, progressive shock, Winyoochanok windshield, GENSSI LED headlight, SW-Motech tankbag, Shorai Lithium battery
2014 Ural Patrol

Old 05-31-2016, 10:35 AM   #50

Thanks for looking into lights! We finally took ours out and the sun set over this holiday weekend. That light is obnoxiously low. What is the stock form factor of the bulb, H4? Do you have any updated link to what you bought -- the ebay listing seems "out of stock"

Thanks in advance,

Dave aka Ghan

Old 05-31-2016, 10:50 AM   #51

Search for this - Elite LED Headlight Conversion Kit 6000K Bulbs 8000LM

You need blue one, made by GENNSI. Make sure you select H4.

2014 Ural Patrol

Old 06-01-2016, 07:51 AM   #52

Do you guys think this would perform the same or just as good?

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/b...conversion-kit

Anyone have experience with it?

Features:

Transport your weak headlights into the 21st century with Bike Master LED headlight conversion kits
Ultra-bright 2200-2400 lumens, 6500K with a unique anti-glare design for a superior light pattern
Less than half the power draw with twice the brightness of many halogen bulbs
Extra-long 30,000 hour service life
Built-in cooling fan for greater heat dissipation
Easy to install - plug and play
Sold individually and available in H4 and H7configurations

2016 Zongshen RX3 (CSC Cyclone)

Pay it Forward!

Old 06-01-2016, 08:42 AM   #53

Madsocial, I have not used that revzilla LED, but it will probably fit. The reviews seem mediocre tho.

The GENNSI lamp and similar clones have several advantages over the revzilla LED:
  • Less expensive ... $50/pair instead of $70 for one.
  • Passive heatsink ... runs cooler, so no fan and less noise
  • Shorter design ... so you don't have to cut the rear of the headlight to make it fit (if you don't want to).
  • Flat low beam cutoff ... to not blind oncoming traffic
  • Higher light output ... 4000 lumens, compared to 2800

2014 Ural Patrol

Last edited by detours; 06-01-2016 at 02:20 PM.

Old 06-02-2016, 01:18 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by detours View Post
Madsocial, I have not used that revzilla LED, but it will probably fit. The reviews seem mediocre tho.

The GENNSI lamp and similar clones have several advantages over the revzilla LED:
  • Less expensive ... $50/pair instead of $70 for one.
  • Passive heatsink ... runs cooler, so no fan and less noise
  • Shorter design ... so you don't have to cut the rear of the headlight to make it fit (if you don't want to).
  • Flat low beam cutoff ... to not blind oncoming traffic
  • Higher light output ... 4000 lumens, compared to 2800
Detour covered the facts. one of the most important one to me is the low beam cutoff. None of the early LED headlights had that. I tried one similar to the Revzilla one - it had no cutoff, and a dark spot in the middle of the beam! Another vendor told me that his were not DOT approved because of the cutoff.

I read that the recommended bulb is not DOT approved because DOT doesn't have specs for LED bulbs; however the bulbs meet all European requirements.

Old 06-02-2016, 08:23 PM   #55

Thanks for the feedback guys. I added the GENNSI kit to my wish list.

I had just thought about going to get a brighter H4 bulb for now. However, I know this sounds crazy, but I just realized the headlight pulsates? I'm coming from a Harley back ground, maybe sportbikes have had that feature forever, but I never saw it before. What exactly is it supposed to be used for? Sure it will annoy the car in front of you, but is there are any other real function to it?

Pay it Forward!

Old 06-02-2016, 08:41 PM   #56

My headlight doesn't pulse. Haven't heard anyone else mention it, either.
Perhaps double check your high amperage battery cable connections?

Old 06-02-2016, 09:20 PM   #57

it's a button you push and it pulses the light. it's on the left side of the bars on the controls. I'll try to capture a video of it tomorrow night.

Pay it Forward!

Old 06-02-2016, 09:26 PM   #58

That's the flasher for the high beam. When you're behind a slowpoke, flash your high beams to let them know you want to pass. Or to let an oncoming car know that their high beams are on ... Or that they forgot to turn on their headlights at dusk ... Or to make sure cars see you when approaching an intersection.

2014 Ural Patrol

Old 06-03-2016, 01:17 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsocial View Post
Thanks for the feedback guys. I added the GENNSI kit to my wish list.

I had just thought about going to get a brighter H4 bulb for now. However, I know this sounds crazy, but I just realized the headlight pulsates? I'm coming from a Harley back ground, maybe sportbikes have had that feature forever, but I never saw it before. What exactly is it supposed to be used for? Sure it will annoy the car in front of you, but is there are any other real function to it?
A brighter H4 blub will damage the reflector. The extra heat will bubble the plating.

Old 07-28-2016, 06:12 AM   #60

How about an update from Detours and all who have installed the Elite LED Headlight Conversion Kit 6000K Bulbs 8000LM setup.