Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2016, 12:17 AM   #196

Mine is also upside down
I will flip it over when I do the valve check this week

Old 05-02-2016, 12:42 AM   #197

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodtheviking View Post
Found this on both of ours, upside down.

Actually, that is the correct orientation. Please see the CSC blog. We had some arrive with the oil/air separator in the incorrect orientation, I used a photo of that in one of the maintenance tutorials, and it's created a lot of confusion. Yours is correct.

http://californiascooterco.com/blog/?p=21183

Old 05-02-2016, 06:45 AM   #198

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSCDude View Post
Actually, that is the correct orientation. Please see the CSC blog. We had some arrive with the oil/air separator in the incorrect orientation, I used a photo of that in one of the maintenance tutorials, and it's created a lot of confusion. Yours is correct.

now im confused, if this is right then why does the tube fill up with gas, and the other way it works better?

Old 05-02-2016, 07:14 AM   #199

thanks Joe i think CSC did this on purpose just so we all get to tinker with our bikes love my ZONG

Old 05-02-2016, 08:06 AM   #200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron B View Post
now im confused, if this is right then why does the tube fill up with gas, and the other way it works better?
I agree with Ron .... Make one definitive post showing a single photo of the part in its correct orientation.

EDITED: And the CSC blog solves the confusion. . Now Im not confused - thank you!

" Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted." - John Lennon

“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
― Thomas Jefferson

"If you don't know where you're going any road will take you there" ....George Harrison song

Last edited by dpl096; 05-02-2016 at 10:15 AM.

Old 05-02-2016, 08:40 AM   #201

the link to the blog explains it all

Old 05-02-2016, 09:14 AM   #202

wow for the past year we have been flipping these over

Old 05-02-2016, 10:37 AM   #203

Ok...I just went and flipped mine over to the correct position so...
Yesterday I was going about 30 miles until the tube was full(you can actually look down and see it as you're riding even though I wouldn't recommend it)
In theory I should now see it filling up faster in the correct position.

I have ordered the fuel pressure gauge(Thanks Spud)
To add to my belief of a dribbling injector I now have 3 factors involved.

1) I have the contaminant tube filling up in under 30 miles of highway riding
2) I have noticed watery thin oil changes of what is 15w50 oil
3) after being careful to not overfill on the oil change I am now a good 1/4" overfilled with the weekends 250 miles run.( I will be draining some to get back to correct level)

I understand that for fuel to be getting into the crankcase a leaking injector
Would have to leak fuel by the intake valve(easily done if valve is bumped open with engine off) and get by the rings.

All this is guessing right now but I will have results of my fuel pressure leak down test in a week.

Old 05-02-2016, 11:03 AM   #204

With all the confusion....I think everyone should just do what I did with my old Harley chopper. Run the vent so it blows on the chain and never worry about oiling it ever again! The extra fuel should keep it nice and clean too! ;-)

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Last edited by 2LZ; 12-31-2016 at 03:42 PM.

Old 05-02-2016, 02:58 PM   #205

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
You OCS is oriented upside down. Don't worry about the white dot. The hose connection should be at the top, and the clamp should be below. You shouldn't have a big loop in the hose. You should flip the OCS to the orientation shown in the photograph below.

According to this picture and the other responses, mine is up side down.

Now I'm really confused.

EDIT: Mine is installed correctly.

Thank you.

Old 05-02-2016, 03:28 PM   #206

CSC is employing the exact same logic we concluded on this forum, but is aiming for a different result. Placing the OCS in the CSC orientation maximizes the amount of fuel collected in the clear tube at the bottom of the OCS. Placing the OCS in the opposite orientation minimizes the amount of fuel collected in the OCS, and sends more atomized fuel to the air box, where it can be burned in the combustion process.

Less than a week ago I received a personal message regarding the OCS orientation from forum member Fritz, in Bavaria, Germany. I hope he doesn't mind if I post part of his message.

I found something related to the fuel in the overflow line. According to the drawing in the documents showing the recirculation system, the orientation of the OCS is actually mounted correctly from the factory assuming the US setup is the same as the European.

Considering the fact that mounting it upside down will reduce the amount of fuel in the line I have an idea why it is still mounted as shown on the drawing.

A gas recycling device is probably compulsory so they added it. But burning this recirculated fuel can actually influence your emissions in a negative way. This is due to the fact that the fuel from crank case can not be considered by the ECU with this system setup (additional valve and carbon canister including a load model would change that) and therefore enriching the mixture in an uncontrolled manner. Which means only the feedback control of the lambda sonde can compensate when it is actually already to late and the lambda value is no longer 1 and the catalyst is not working at its most efficient operation point.

On the other hand I guess there is no regulation limiting the amount of fuel collected in the line since it is assumed that it will be disposed correctly.

Long story short the mount of the factory is correct according to the drawings provided for European type approval including emission testing.

I started a new thread on this topic at the following link.

http://www.chinariders.net/showthrea...639#post214639

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-02-2016, 03:33 PM   #207

At the 12:32 mark in the following video, you can see the OCS was not installed in the official orientation during the CSC Western States tour.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-02-2016, 04:15 PM   #208

"3) after being careful to not overfill on the oil change I am now a good 1/4" overfilled with the weekends 250 miles run.( I will be draining some to get back to correct level)"

InRoads, if you put in 1.7 qts. don't drain any oil. The oil level raises and falls in the window as motor has 2 oil reservoirs and sends oil back and forth and to and fro between them. Maybe this is good to look at . rj

http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=15591

Old 06-12-2016, 12:32 PM   #209

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmorel View Post
"3) after being careful to not overfill on the oil change I am now a good 1/4" overfilled with the weekends 250 miles run.( I will be draining some to get back to correct level)"

InRoads, if you put in 1.7 qts. don't drain any oil. The oil level raises and falls in the window as motor has 2 oil reservoirs and sends oil back and forth and to and fro between them. Maybe this is good to look at . rj

http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=15591
I am aware of this and try and fill to the bottom line of the oil level marks
To compensate for that.

I am currently running 30 highway miles till the OCS fills.
I have installed a shut off valve in place of the plug and just leave it open
When taking longer trips cause I get tired of keep draining it.

One of these days I will get around to checking for a dribbling injector
But from the feedback I'm seeing there are a large proportion of RX3's with
My dilemma and I just don't believe it's very many with a dribbling injector but
rather a design issue.Just a hunch.

And as far as a thermo-Bob added to help burn off contaminants I'm sure it would help
But I do not believe a too cool engine is creating the larger dilemma.
I mean look where they applied that to the KLR it did not have contaminated air boxes that I was ever aware of.

Look at all of the bikes where the crankcase breather dumps straight into the air box...there you
Find a little bitty catch tube in the bottom of the air box.
Something else going on inside the design of the RX3 compared to other thumpers.
And yes I know that the engine ingests a large part of that but think of the amount of water that
Would fall out of suspension and into the bottom of the air box if the RX3 dumped it straight to the air box.
Seems like it would contaminate the air box frequently.?..Just thinking.

Maybe we should take a poll as to how far at hi way speeds till the OCS fills up:

I'll start it: Mine goes about 30 miles(at highway speeds) till filled with the OCS in the correct official position.

Old 06-12-2016, 12:48 PM   #210

In the unofficial position, mine takes 45 to 50 miles to fill.

2015 CSC red RX3 with 19" front wheel, Shinko 804/805, skid plate, tall seat, 13T/45T sprockets, progressive shock, Winyoochanok windshield, GENSSI LED headlight, SW-Motech tankbag, Shorai Lithium battery
2014 Ural Patrol