Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2024, 03:53 AM   #1

Exclamation Hawk DLX clutch cover bolts

Hello. I'm new here. I recently purchased a Hawk DLX and found oil on the floor after parking it overnight. Come to find out I'm missing a bolt and can see straight inside and see what looks to be an oil pickup tube. I hope I haven't done any lasting damage to the engine. Does anyone know what the bolt sizes are, if they are fine or coarse threaded, and if they are SAE or Metric bolts. Thanks in advance

Old 04-22-2024, 04:16 AM   #2

Check if one of the other bolts is the right length (it will have same thread size, just might be longer or shorter). Then take the bolt to an Ace or nuts and bolts hardware store and check threads on their thread checker. It will be metric. You might have to get a Allen bolt if they don't have a 8mm bolt, but that shouldn't make any difference. Or, you might need a washer if the OEM bolt had a flanged seat.

Old 04-22-2024, 04:47 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmq09281 View Post
Hello. I'm new here. I recently purchased a Hawk DLX and found oil on the floor after parking it overnight. Come to find out I'm missing a bolt and can see straight inside and see what looks to be an oil pickup tube. I hope I haven't done any lasting damage to the engine. Does anyone know what the bolt sizes are, if they are fine or coarse threaded, and if they are SAE or Metric bolts. Thanks in advance
Just to be sure, it is a bolt on the perimeter of the outer cover? If yes, the majority of them are going to be an M6 x 1 x 40, and ONE will be an M6 x 1 x 45 (located at the front center. They are Flanged hex head bolts (8mm hex). I am going off of memory with the thread pitch, so it would be best to remove a different one and take it to the local ace hardware and verify. You can probably just buy one there as well since Ace has a great metric selection. They don't need to be a high grade bolt as they only get torqued to 6ft-lbs. Make sure to apply Loctite 243 (high temp and oil resisant) to ensure they don't fall out.

Whatever you do, do not get stainless steel bolts. Stainless steel and Aluminum will have a galvanic reaction and accelerate corrosion. Nickel plated is ideal, or regular steel otherwise. If you want some stealth mode you could use black oxide treated bolts too.

Old 04-23-2024, 05:29 PM   #4

picture of the missing bolt

Picture Below. Unless that hole is supposed to be there and it's leaking from somewhere else because the bottom of the stator cover is covered in oil and everytime it's parked there's oil dripping off the bottom of it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1224.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	723.1 KB
ID:	31326  

Tags
hawk 250 dlx, hawk 250 mods, hawk 250 motor, hawk 250 parts, hawk 250 specs