Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2008, 11:00 AM   #1

Zapkins Nightmare (NOW WITH HAPPY ENDING!)

dealer called first thing this morning. new chain and sprockets installed. they will be delivering it this afternoon. I am planning to go for a short ride today, but its kind of chilly out so I don't know how far.

Old 03-20-2008, 11:23 AM   #2

congrats i hope it's a ok!!

Old 03-20-2008, 12:21 PM   #3

Quote:
they will be delivering it this afternoon.
I'm sorry but I just had this terrible image of a pickup truck backing up real fast, locking up the brakes and dumping your bike at the end of your driveway.

I hope they have it fixed for you and all they did was put on a chain and sprockets.

Old 03-20-2008, 01:05 PM   #4

Good luck, I hope that fixed it.

Old 03-20-2008, 01:24 PM   #5

I just got back from taking bike for a ride. They've changed the gear ratio. The sprocket on the rear is larger and more robust. The bike seems happier. I am not sure of the exact changes made but will post pics. It will do about 55 at right around 7.5 rpm...but I don't want to run it that high. With the different gearing and the performance air cleaner the bike is much more powerful. It feels overall better, I can't really explain it other than to say it just feels better. I know i've been a neurotic roller coaster ride of a poster on this board. I keep letting my personal life and politics interfere with my online persona. I think for the time being I am going to just kind of lurk and keep my big mouth (fingers) shut. But I will post some photos of the rear sprocket and stuff.

The bike just seems better geared for my type of riding which is wavy hilly back roads.

take it easy folks.

Old 03-20-2008, 01:55 PM   #6

Well congrats, Glad that it is cured.

Old 03-20-2008, 02:51 PM   #7

keep posting!!

seriously, every post with some kind of problem or fix will help people in the future. From what Ive seen all your ramblings have been bike problems, which is why this forum exist.

keep posting!!

Old 03-21-2008, 10:08 AM   #8

What size sprockets did then install? I run about the speed/rpm and am very happy with the combination.

Keep posting.

Allen

Old 03-21-2008, 12:45 PM   #9

still vibrating but at different rpm

I am not sure what size the new sprocket is. I notice that the bike pulls quite a bit harder so I am assuming its a larger sprocket. It also looks to be more robust. BUT there is still the vibration. On a whim I opened the motor back up and reset the valves again (just in case I did it wrong and maybe that was an issue (remember I'm a newb)). This time I set the intake to .002 and the exhaust to .003.

The vibration is still there but the mechanics checked out the tranny (hehe that still cracks me up) and said its okay and the lack of metal in my screen makes me believe that)

I checked those three engine mount bolts on the back top of the engine and they are all WAYYYY to small for the holes they are in. I am going to start replacing motor bolts there because they are small and easy to get to. I will take the advice given and drill the holes if necessary and install some REAL bolts. Would using rubber washers be of any value???

Overall the bike seems better geared to my type of driving. Its not as fast top end, but I really prefer the power down low. I was planning on going to the rumble on the ridge on april 5th, but I have decided that I don't want to. I am not confident in myself to keep from trashing me or the bike.

I am just going to putt around on it and replace bolts. I got an email from AL that says a 400 is right around the corner so I may consider that in the future EVEN THOUGH I VOWED NOT TO BUY ANOTHER CHINABIKE..I often eat my own words.

I still like the damned thing, despite its shortcomings I was riding today and couldn't help but grin around every corner. Route 250 out of Bridgeport is a fun road.

Old 03-21-2008, 01:18 PM   #10

When I first got my bike, I was a little ashamed of where it was made.
But after having a blast on it and getting back into riding I loved the little bike that could. I may never own another chinese bike but I will never regret having owned one.

Old 03-21-2008, 01:50 PM   #11

I dont think rubber washers will help I used grade 8 bolts and steel lock nuts with grade 8 washers where ever I could get them to fit.
Probably overkill but I dont have to worry about the bolts shearing off, I do worry about the engine breaking in half though.

I suggest starting with the big engine mount bolts, the top rear and bottom rear but if you got the long top rear bolt just do the bottom rear and then the four at the front.
I feel the three at the top near carb are least important and easiest to do but you have to remake the top three hole brackets(simple to make)

The big rear bolts and the front four bolts do more to firm up the bike frame overall and the two rear bolts in my opinion are best to get set first since they will help keep the chain properly aligned with the engine.

On my bike I changed all engine bolts and had to remove the brackets for the long useless, stupid, wimpy top engine bolt and welded in some brackets that allow me to use the same length bolt there as is on the bottom.

On my wifes bike I just left the long bolt and changed the rest and it has been fine but I will be changing hers around like mine soon.

The engine mount bolts are one of the most dangerous and damaging things I have seen on these bikes and lead to all kinds of trouble.
(vibration, chain/sprocket damage, possible engine damage from thrown chain, possible bodily injury caused by rear tire locking up causing crash from thrown chain,possible frame failure since engine completes frame)

Old 03-21-2008, 02:01 PM   #12

I had lost the lowest rear bolt on a ebay purchase run. I noticed the vibes got really bad and when I got home I looked it over and found the bolt was missing. The next day is when I replaced all the bolts I could. Been fine since. 4000 miles.

Allen

Old 03-21-2008, 02:28 PM   #13

Okay I will do as you suggested. should I loosed them all and then do those two rear ones down good..then re-tighten the rest? here is a picture of my rear sprocket. kind of a low res pic.

Old 03-21-2008, 02:30 PM   #14

here is another wider angle

Old 03-21-2008, 03:08 PM   #15

Does your bike have the long upper rear bolt???

Can you post some pics of the engine and mounting area's?