I wonder what the consensus is?

Old 03-07-2008, 10:26 PM   #2

I sure hope not.I don't think its dead yet it just not feeling so good. :(

Old 03-07-2008, 10:44 PM   #3

good point

Old 03-07-2008, 11:06 PM   #4

Just curiouse.What oil are you running?

Old 03-08-2008, 03:19 AM   #5

i've been running valvoline 4 stroke. changed the oil 5 times in 1000 kilometers.

Old 03-08-2008, 03:27 AM   #6

used 5w30 for the first oil change (4 stroke)

Old 03-08-2008, 03:32 AM   #7

I refuse to believe that my transmission is failing.

now i am going to go cry myself to sleep. i'll be back monday.

Old 03-08-2008, 05:02 AM   #8

The only reason I dont think your tranny is dead is you stated you noticed NOTHING metalic when you changed the oil.

what color was the oil? did it have gray/silver particles floating in it?

In our bikes the oil usually still looks like oil but a bit darkened and If I see any gray/silver looking colors in any dropped oil I get a bit concerned.
In a bike with a wet clutch you are going to have some particles floating around but not excessive.

Of course you might be just on the beginning of a major trans meltdown.

Take it to the dealer and see what they say.
A dealer is not an option for us so we'd have to run it till it fails then just slap in a new engine.

Old 03-08-2008, 02:20 PM   #9

Installed a performance air filter today but have yet to install the new jet. I figure I should wait and run the bike for a few miles and check the plug before I mess with the jetting. I DID notice the bike starts and idles better with the cone type filter on it. Don't worry, I oiled it and then squeezed all the excess oil out before installing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamCheap
The only reason I dont think your tranny is dead is you stated you noticed NOTHING metalic when you changed the oil.

what color was the oil? did it have gray/silver particles floating in it?
yeah the screen has been totally clean the last couple of oil changes. There were some small particles the first couple and something that looked like glue once but very small. The oil looked slightly darkened but hell, i haven't been leaving oil in long at all. Change about every 200 km. (could that cause a problem???)

today I went out and fiddled with it. the clicking type sound might be the chain rubbing something. I cant say for sure, but as the chain slows down (bike in neutral or clutch in) the clicking slows down. (perhaps a sprocket issue??) It sounds just like something touching chain. I took the chain guard off rode it and the click was still there. Strange thing is, the clicking and vibrations I notice seem to get worse as the engine gets warmer. But once they reach a certain point they do not get worse.

Sometimes it shifts kind of hard down into 1st gear, but that is very rare. I assumed that might work itself out as the bike wore in.

I was going to take the bike in today but the mechanic never called me and so I am assuming that he is off today. I don't wanna harass the people and I need the bike for transport and don't want to have to leave it there for long.

Tomorrow the weather is going to be better and so I am going to take the side off where the front sprocket is and do as was suggested, check for play there and also take a better look at what chain could be rubbing. Its just snowing like mad and colder than a witches teat out so I am limited on what I can do atm.

I've done alot of thinking and I knew what I was buying when I got this bike. I knew I'd have to tinker with it. With that in mind, I am going to look it over again...looking for anything that could be the problem before taking it back to the mechanic next week. Who knows, I might just stumble upon the problem and then I will have learned something.

plus i still have over 3 month of warranty left. I only got the six months.

Old 03-08-2008, 02:41 PM   #10

I just talked to my brother in Camebridge and he said that there was about 6 or 7 inches and it was still snowing.

Old 03-08-2008, 02:45 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapkin
I've done alot of thinking and I knew what I was buying when I got this bike. I knew I'd have to tinker with it. With that in mind, I am going to look it over again...looking for anything that could be the problem before taking it back to the mechanic next week. Who knows, I might just stumble upon the problem and then I will have learned something.

plus i still have over 3 month of warranty left. I only got the six months.
Just don't void the warranty. I can try to find the tranny to send your way, but hopefully, he/she/it won't take a dump all over your bike,

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 03-08-2008, 03:10 PM   #12

culcune, what would be considered voiding the warranty?

Old 03-08-2008, 03:13 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapkin
culcune, what would be considered voiding the warranty?
I don't know, but the dealer could try to say you did something. I figure, don't get too much into the engine, if it's something they should fix. However, I hear you on the "not having a bike" for longer than comfort!

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 03-08-2008, 03:19 PM   #14

I was not going to actually enter the engine at all. I would not even attempt something like that. I was just thinking I could take off that cover over the front sprocket to make sure that was not the problem.