Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2007, 09:17 PM   #1

hows this for a deal

I received an email from a local dealer in Wv. They will now sell me the 200GY-5 with counterbalanced engine for $1295.00 +80.00 set up fee and an additional 80.00 for what they call a "race prep" which I'm assuming is another going over or something of that nature.

this seems like a pretty good deal.

what do you guys think?

Old 12-03-2007, 10:03 PM   #2

If they are reputable, than go for it. It would be better if they are American Lifan, because at least you know the warranty is there; if need be, you can contact member 'Americanlifan' through this site who is an employee of them to back you up. If it isn't A. Lifan, make sure that they are reputable enough that they will back up whatever warranty that they offer. Make sure that they locktite everything, and tune it correctly, too.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 12-04-2007, 08:41 AM   #3

Re: hows this for a deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapkin
I received an email from a local dealer in Wv. They will now sell me the 200GY-5 with counterbalanced engine for $1295.00 +80.00 set up fee and an additional 80.00 for what they call a "race prep" which I'm assuming is another going over or something of that nature.

what do you guys think?
For $80 + $80, I would inquire as to what exactly that encompasses. Most of the "prep" stuff we have all done here on the forum.

Jason
1995 Kawasaki Concours (ZG1000)

Old 12-04-2007, 10:04 AM   #4

Not too bad of a price. Send member AmericanLifan a message and ask if they are an authorized dealer of American Lifan bikes. If so the price is decent.

If you don't want to pay the second $80 we can save you that money and give you all the tips you need. Most of it is in the prep sticky.

A good dealer should have assembled it correctly to start with.

Allen

Old 12-10-2007, 02:02 PM   #5

the dealer said they are in their sixth season selling lifan and have noticed a pretty dramatic improvement in the assembly process since more factories have come on line.

i am going to purchase in january and intend to give the bike a thorough going over. i don't know if i'll be able to break it in during winter without freezing my doo dads off.

in any case, i'm very eager.

thanks for responses.

Old 12-10-2007, 02:50 PM   #6

Be sure to give dealer feedback after purchase. Another new member from WV was looking to purchase American Lifan. He would probably be interested in your dealer's contact info.

Have you check to make sure the dealer is a true American Lifan dealer?

Call Shawn. His number is at www.americanlifan.com and ask first.

Allen

Old 12-10-2007, 08:05 PM   #7

The dealer is in fact an A. Lifan dealer. I have heard some not so good stuff about this dealer but I have also heard some good things from others, (a friend bought an ATV there) since they are close to where I live I am probably going to buy through them and just take my chances. After pricing a comparable Japanese bike, I am that much more determined to buy the Lifan. A part of me wants to buy two just in case one breaks. Two could be had for the price of one Japanese model. By the way, do you guys have any clue why the dual sports Japanese models 200cc and up are so freaking expensive? One could purchase a super-bike for not much more. It really makes no sense to me unless it’s just a matter of there being a large demand for them.
Here is an example, which I am sure you are aware of but may be of interest to anyone new to these forums:
Does this remind you of anything: http://www.suzukicycles.com/Products...8/Default.aspx
Almost 4,000 dollars! Wow!
I realize that this information is old to most of you, but to me, and some others who are new, it warrants mention. Also, thanks to all of you who took the time to post responses and to give me advice.

Old 12-13-2007, 07:33 PM   #8

I haven't heard to much breaking on the GY5 model. I also don't think you can go wrong buying from that dealer since they will at least help you register it.

Parts are not that had to get for the lifan either. I have so far not needed to order any parts for mine due to something breaking.

Allen

Old 12-13-2007, 10:44 PM   #9

Quote:

what do you guys think?
I'd very very sceptical about doing business with anyone who says they will 'race prep' one of these motorcycles. :roll: Get a step by step breakdown of what the 'race prep' is and what the costs are. What's the difference between the race prepped bike and the non race prepped bike. If the race prep is changing the sparkplug and changing the carb setting, you can do that! Sounds like an $80 ripoff to me!

Did your friend buy a Yamaha ATV from them or was it a Chinese ATV? I've probably done business with this dealer and they've never called me back about the parts I ordered way back in September. Where do you live? You may just want to save a little money and buy off the internet.
2017 Coleman CT200U
1978 Yamaha SR500E
1979 Yamaha XS650 Special II