Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2017, 08:50 PM   #1

Loud Motor

Is it normal for the motor to be loud? I mean it seems like it is louder than the exhaust. The enforcer has a really quit exhaust and it is going to be my first upgrade but the dang motor almost drowns out the exhaust!!!

Old 09-05-2017, 08:54 PM   #2

After it gets good and broke in I am hoping it quiets down it draws attention...not really the good kind lol. On the plus side I did some riding at around 45mph and it is pretty smooth so no complaints there. It has around 100 kilometers on it lol.

Old 09-05-2017, 08:57 PM   #3

It sounds like chatter, not a knock

Old 09-05-2017, 10:59 PM   #4

Did you adjust the valves before starting to ride it? Clatter/valvetrain noise can be caused by lose tolerances. No noise could indicate too tight valve tolerance.

Old 09-05-2017, 11:29 PM   #5

It's gonna tap some, being a pushrod motor with solid "lifters". We all will recommend that you adjust the valves if you haven't, though.

Old 09-06-2017, 12:50 AM   #6

As a note on checking and setting valve lash, do it on a stone cold engine. Let it sit overnight and check/set the lash before running it. Even with the valves set at the right lash it is still going to be rather tappy aounding. As said already, flat tappet lifters/followers are just noisy. Nature of the beast. They also prefer oil with a hogher zddp level to help reduce wear, which is why many of us run Rotella T4 and not modern oils.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 09-06-2017, 08:09 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcwhorter-enforcer View Post
Is it normal for the motor to be loud? I mean it seems like it is louder than the exhaust. The enforcer has a really quit exhaust and it is going to be my first upgrade but the dang motor almost drowns out the exhaust!!!
You've already changed the motor oil? Because the oil that comes with the bike is a rust preventative oil, not a lubricating oil as such. If you are operating on the (true) theory that any oil is better than no oil, well, it does lubricate. Rotella is easy to find (Walmart, amongst others), and it contains zinc salts, which lubricate cams and followers better and prevent pre-mature wear. Most of these engines come with the valves too tight, yours might be the exception. Set the valve clearances at .003 inches intake, and .004 exhaust. If the valves are so loose that the engine is very noisy, re-set them immediatly. Too loose so as to be really noisy will cause cam wear from the impact load of too loose valve gear...ARH