Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2017, 11:14 AM   #121

I have about 300 miles on my LXR250f now and it seems to be pretty solid. I put a 15t front sprocket on it (JTF 432.15SC) for better top end, and configured a bracket for a side mounted aully park 1.3 gallon tank. I wasn't sure what KTM oversized tank would work best. Like I previously said, my valves were pretty snug right away. I adjusted them to .08mm like it was suggested for the RX3 and the bike runs much better now. It was stalling on deceleration, backfiring, and having an inconsistent idle. I wanted to used the bike more like a poor man's WR250r so I put Shinko 700s on it. Once the bike is broke in a little more I think I might use the RX3 oil filter w/ spring to try and help with the engine's longevity.

I also got tempted by the Hawk 250 bug last spring and have had one for over one year now. It is a solid cheap bike after you spend about $500 to get it set up right (carb. With proper jets, chain, sprockets, exhaust, mjstef cluster, etc). As far as quality goes it is nowhere near the LXR. I bought the LXR for $3000 during a sale, and am in almost $2000 on the Hawk.

Old 05-14-2017, 12:33 PM   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChondaChondaChonda View Post
I'm just going to follow a maintenance schedule similar to the RX3 for the first few thousand, then go to checking the valves at least once a year. (Being primarily a dirt bike I doubt I will put anywhere near the miles on that the typical RX3 guy will) Once the fuel tank and seat are off the valves are'nt too bad; removing the horn is about all that is extra to do. Much easier than most bikes I have owned.

Not sure how passenger pegs could be thrown on. The rear subframe is made of steel, so it might be possible to weld or bolt some kind of footpeg extensions on, but I would just make her get her own bike. Might be worth starting a seperate thread on adding the passenger footpegs.
Have been following this thread. How has your tank worked out? I know you said something about the return fuel line from the fuel pump had to be figured out. Is that a non pressurized line? Could it feasibly "T" back into the line that leads from the tank to the fuel pump or do you have to do something else. That's a great tank to have seeing it fits so well.

Old 05-14-2017, 01:58 PM   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUTERLIMITS View Post
Have been following this thread. How has your tank worked out? I know you said something about the return fuel line from the fuel pump had to be figured out. Is that a non pressurized line? Could it feasibly "T" back into the line that leads from the tank to the fuel pump or do you have to do something else. That's a great tank to have seeing it fits so well.
I added this (2.99+2.99shipping) http://www.ebay.com/itm/222489193163...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT bulkhead fitting where the stock Pitster return was.

The pitster fuel petcock is too wide at the bolt holes, so I ordered a rear exit petcock from this guy:($32) http://www.ebay.com/itm/162469341289...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Had to shorten the fuel line out of the tank and after the filter; relocating the filter slightly lower than stock:

These petcocks are awesome; easy to turn and a nice big metal handle for my clumsy hands. A little extra well spent IMHO.
1993 Fantic Key-Roo 250

Old 05-14-2017, 03:13 PM   #124

Quote:
I added this (2.99+2.99shipping) http://www.ebay.com/itm/222489193163...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT bulkhead fitting where the stock Pitster return was.

The pitster fuel petcock is too wide at the bolt holes, so I ordered a rear exit petcock from this guy:($32) http://www.ebay.com/itm/162469341289...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Had to shorten the fuel line out of the tank and after the filter; relocating the filter slightly lower than stock:

These petcocks are awesome; easy to turn and a nice big metal handle for my clumsy hands. A little extra well spent IMHO.
Nice Job! How does the suspension seem? I know you mentioned you wanted heavier springs, but just wondering about the overall feel. My son has a KDX200 that is way too lightly sprung for me, but it still feels good and the wheels stay glued to the trail. The Pitster suspension seems pretty adjustable.

Old 05-14-2017, 03:31 PM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUTERLIMITS View Post
Nice Job! How does the suspension seem? I know you mentioned you wanted heavier springs, but just wondering about the overall feel. My son has a KDX200 that is way too lightly sprung for me, but it still feels good and the wheels stay glued to the trail. The Pitster suspension seems pretty adjustable.
The bike is very planted and "KTM" feeling. It reminds me of my 300XC that I raced for 2 seasons in sportsmans desert (8-9 years ago). I spent gobs of money on having Slavens tweak in my suspension on that bike. I really need to put some more hours on the Pitster Pro and tweak the suspension settings, but as it came out of the crate is quite good; a little harsh on slow speed sharp edges, but I may be able to tune that out; won't know until I get more time on it.

New rear spring is on its way; I just hope it fits.
1993 Fantic Key-Roo 250

Last edited by ChondaChondaChonda; 05-14-2017 at 03:33 PM. Reason: clarity

Old 05-14-2017, 10:02 PM   #126

Quote:
The bike is very planted and "KTM" feeling. It reminds me of my 300XC that I raced for 2 seasons in sportsmans desert (8-9 years ago). I spent gobs of money on having Slavens tweak in my suspension on that bike. I really need to put some more hours on the Pitster Pro and tweak the suspension settings, but as it came out of the crate is quite good; a little harsh on slow speed sharp edges, but I may be able to tune that out; won't know until I get more time on it.

New rear spring is on its way; I just hope it fits.
Hopefully if you find it a little harsh on the slow stuff, it is just a little too deep into the travel and up against more resistant valving. This bike is starting to sound like a great singletrack play weapon. I guess it has a KTM feeling as the frames look almost identical from your pics......not a bad thing. I kinda wish they went with the linkless suspension, as it's perfect(and simple) for a trail bike.

Old 05-15-2017, 03:26 PM   #127

Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackAcid View Post
I have about 300 miles on my LXR250f now and it seems to be pretty solid. I put a 15t front sprocket on it (JTF 432.15SC) for better top end, and configured a bracket for a side mounted aully park 1.3 gallon tank. I wasn't sure what KTM oversized tank would work best. Like I previously said, my valves were pretty snug right away. I adjusted them to .08mm like it was suggested for the RX3 and the bike runs much better now. It was stalling on deceleration, backfiring, and having an inconsistent idle. I wanted to used the bike more like a poor man's WR250r so I put Shinko 700s on it. Once the bike is broke in a little more I think I might use the RX3 oil filter w/ spring to try and help with the engine's longevity.

I also got tempted by the Hawk 250 bug last spring and have had one for over one year now. It is a solid cheap bike after you spend about $500 to get it set up right (carb. With proper jets, chain, sprockets, exhaust, mjstef cluster, etc). As far as quality goes it is nowhere near the LXR. I bought the LXR for $3000 during a sale, and am in almost $2000 on the Hawk.

Awesome to see another LXR out in the wild. Please continue to update us on anything you find/see/like/dislike about it.

I just ordered some KAYO parts via their store on Taobao. Clutch, cable, oil filters, etc. I'll share photos and a list when they arrive. Their website shows the throttle cable replacements, but I could not find the clutch cable replacement which I believe will be the "backup" part to have.
1993 Fantic Key-Roo 250

Old 05-15-2017, 06:32 PM   #128

Another good place to get parts for the bike is ALIEXPRESS. They seem to have all the replacement parts that could be needed for the nc250 zs177mm engine. The bike looks like it was just a rebranded KAYO T6. I forgot to mention that I also replaced the seat with a Seat Concepts foam and cover (28-0113-20-1000 KTM (2014-16) SX/SXF/EXC/XCW). It's not cruiser comfortable, but much improved over the 2x4.

Old 05-15-2017, 09:56 PM   #129

I see people are plating them with South Dakota license plates hoping that they can then transfer the title and registration to there state. But a lot are unable because it tends to be classified as an off road bike. It's frustrating because there beautiful bikes and something I would be happy to have in upstate NY. But I'm betting the cops would love writing me tickets if I only SD plates but it registered in NY at my address. Unless I could come up with a story like I work in the winter in SD and they helped me out by making it easier to ride back there etc.

Old 05-15-2017, 10:00 PM   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjs91882 View Post
I see people are plating them with South Dakota license plates hoping that they can then transfer the title and registration to there state. But a lot are unable because it tends to be classified as an off road bike. It's frustrating because there beautiful bikes and something I would be happy to have in upstate NY. But I'm betting the cops would love writing me tickets if I only SD plates but it registered in NY at my address. Unless I could come up with a story like I work in the winter in SD and they helped me out by making it easier to ride back there etc.
NY and VT border each other. Go the VT route, then transfer to NY. That is more believable.

Old 05-16-2017, 05:10 PM   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistolclass View Post
NY and VT border each other. Go the VT route, then transfer to NY. That is more believable.
Just realized that VT won't title them if they are under 300cc 😔

Old 05-16-2017, 09:09 PM   #132

Quote:
Just realized that VT won't title them if they are under 300cc 😔
You transfer the registration to your state and then they title and reg the bike. That's how it works in my state. Not all states title bikes over 15 years old or under a certain cc.

Old 05-16-2017, 11:06 PM   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
You transfer the registration to your state and then they title and reg the bike. That's how it works in my state. Not all states title bikes over 15 years old or under a certain cc.
That's the problem! NY won't register it as far as I have been told because it has an off road title. The way around it is that VT will register it if it was a 300 or bigger but you have to go there so they can inspect it and then they will change the title to motorcycle. Then you get it titled in NY as a motorcycle and it becomes street legal. But as a 250 I can't do this. I could if I wanted to drive to South Dakota haha. They would do a 250cc and change it over since it road legal. Then it would become legal in NY. Ahh NY sucks!!

Old 05-16-2017, 11:19 PM   #134

Quote:
That's the problem! NY won't register it as far as I have been told because it has an off road title....Then it would become legal in NY.
You would probably be better off purchasing the SSR XF250 in your situation. Or a Hawk or Bashan, for that matter, but you do need to wrench more on those than others. There is a member who bought one of these Pitster Pro bikes as well, in New Jersey, and he went the SD route to get a plate. But in his case, he lives in the country, and was not planning on riding on the road very much, like commuting, but rather to get to the trails from his home. On top of that, he is a retired cop, so probably would get even less hassle than the minimal hassle anyone else would get out in his area.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 05-17-2017, 03:47 PM   #135

Quote:
That's the problem! NY won't register it as far as I have been told because it has an off road title. The way around it is that VT will register it if it was a 300 or bigger but you have to go there so they can inspect it and then they will change the title to motorcycle. Then you get it titled in NY as a motorcycle and it becomes street legal. But as a 250 I can't do this. I could if I wanted to drive to South Dakota haha. They would do a 250cc and change it over since it road legal. Then it would become legal in NY. Ahh NY sucks!!
Your local HP office should be able to do a VIN verification letter for the VT route.

Tags
efi, fuel injection, lxr250, pitster