Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2014, 05:49 PM   #1

Jerking (possibly backfiring?) when engine warm? ZS200GY-A

Hey guys,

So... just had my first real ride on the bike (to work).

Ride was ok although I had trouble getting into neutral (my clutch hand is now feeling it!). I'm guessing this is because the clutch cable isn't tight enough - hopefully I'll be able to tighten that in the carpark at lunch.

But one thing that did worry me - when I got the engine warm and up to reasonable speeds it started to be a bit jerky, especially when accelerating. Hard to tell, but I think it may have been backfiring too.

Any ideas how best to diagnose this?

Cheers!

Old 08-28-2014, 10:47 AM   #2

Perhaps the clutch cable requires adjustment, but it also may require lubrication. I use a cable luber and Maxima Chain Wax on cables; good stuff.

Does the jerky condition feel like it's running out of fuel? If so, perhaps your jetting requires some tweaking. I presume you're at or near sea level, so the carb might be a bit lean for your needs.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-28-2014, 03:07 PM   #3

Thanks Weldangrind. Yeah it does feel a bit like it's running out of fuel and initially that's what I thought it was. I'll try adjusting the carb, although the guy that sold it to me said he always ran it a bit rich. Was thinking perhaps the fuel filter could be another culprit?

Will give the cable a lube this weekend too, wad hoping to not have to replace the clutch - never done that, sounds intimidating!

I'm going to separate out these two issues as I'm hoping to get some more indepth advice from you guys on it!

I'll leave this thread for just the cutting out when accelerating issue!

Last edited by Zonganaut; 08-28-2014 at 05:49 PM.

Old 08-29-2014, 12:19 AM   #4

You're welcome.

Adjusting the carb won't affect WOT. The only way to give it more fuel at WOT (assuming the fuel filter is ok) is a larger main jet. Really not difficult to do.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-29-2014, 05:17 AM   #5

Cheers again. Hmm, yeah it's a bit of an odd one. Will have a look at the fuel filter when I get a chance.

Chain came off today, geez, must have been loose! #1 job for this weekend...

Old 09-11-2014, 05:03 PM   #6

Well, managed to sort it in the end!

Simply added a little Seafoam to the gas tank and rode it to work. Voila, no hesitations! Am really impressed. I was planning on really going to town with the seafoam this weekend by spraying into the air intake, but almost feels like no need now. Wasn't expecting it to make such a difference by just adding to the gas tank!

Old 09-12-2014, 10:28 AM   #7

I've never used Seafoam, but I've heard good things about it. I'm glad to hear it worked for you.