Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2016, 07:11 AM   #1

Well....It seems another Dual Sport found its way to me

Only pic i have at the moment. But i am in the process of trading an old project truck of mine for it. Kind of realized the truck was just gonna continue sitting and with increased pressure to downsize on the 4 wheeled side of things it ended up with me looking at this as a trade for it. It is a 1980 or 81. Not exactly sure on year as the kid who wants the truck thinks its an '80 but the pics i have compared it to point to it being a bit newer. Honda XL185S Dual sport. Most of the lighting has been removed at some point in the bikes life but it is not hard to find replacement parts, It is a 6 volt bike so i will more then likely opt for a small SLA battery for it to get the lighting working. Biggest things it needs are a rear tire, tube, chain and sprocket. Other then that the lights replaced as well as a new handle bar and ignition switch. Will not be doing much with it till after the wedding of course but i am looking forward to working on it none the less.

The plan so far:

The same MSR CR mid bend handle bar as my Yamaha DT250
Possibly the same mirrors as well..may do something different on that side of things.
'80 Honda XL185S
'76 Yamaha DT250C dual sport
Baja Wilderness Trail 250
'07 Honda Shadow 750 Areo Trike
'01 Harley Davidson Softail Deuce
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyj812 View Post
You can't pin this one on me, my wife is still mad at me. I don't need your wife mad at me too. LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
Disclaimer: The above post by 2LZ is in no way the view of this site, other members or Bruce's llama. It is the opinion of 2LZ and 2LZ alone. ;-)

Old 05-03-2016, 08:20 AM   #2

1980 ,and that is honestly a fantastic bike .

Old 05-03-2016, 08:24 AM   #3

I guess I should add or at least ask ,what is your truck ,what is it worth today ,that bike doesn't have any value over about $500.00 as it sits ,but it is a wonderful machine .

Old 05-03-2016, 11:22 AM   #4

One of the best trail bikes ever, and that one will clean up nicely. Enjoy!

Whats the bike in the foreground on the right?

Old 05-03-2016, 02:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce's View Post
I guess I should add or at least ask ,what is your truck ,what is it worth today ,that bike doesn't have any value over about $500.00 as it sits ,but it is a wonderful machine .
Said truck is a 1994 GMC Sierra K1500 with a 6.5 Diesel. With some major fueling issues. It has sat for the past 4 years and i realized im not doing much with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc View Post
One of the best trail bikes ever, and that one will clean up nicely. Enjoy!

Whats the bike in the foreground on the right?
Should be a fun bike. As for what was the other bike it is a 1982 Honda CB750 custom. Or whats left of one anyway...it had bent forks and a bent wheel along with other crash damage. Ironically when i went to this guys place that was the bike i was going to look at. But out of all the stuff he had to offer the XL was the only thing i seen that would be worth it.
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
You can't pin this one on me, my wife is still mad at me. I don't need your wife mad at me too. LOL
Quote:
Disclaimer: The above post by 2LZ is in no way the view of this site, other members or Bruce's llama. It is the opinion of 2LZ and 2LZ alone. ;-)

Old 05-04-2016, 01:12 AM   #6

That is the holy grail of small dual sport bikes to me; I've been on the hunt for one for a long time.

The frame is what most of the modern Honda clones are patterned after, which means that most of the parts will bolt on. If you wanted a bike with increased suspension travel, you could install the inverted forks and monoshock swingarm from a Lifan (or similar), along with a 223cc engine, replete with electric start. I know the Honda has a certain charm the way it is, but I can't resist tweaking stuff.

The only necessary fab work is to chop the monoshock upper and lower mounts, and weld them onto the Honda frame. I've already mocked up a bike like that, using a similar XR200 frame. If Honda made an XL200 back then, they were rare. I've never seen one.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-04-2016, 06:00 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
That is the holy grail of small dual sport bikes to me; I've been on the hunt for one for a long time.

The frame is what most of the modern Honda clones are patterned after, which means that most of the parts will bolt on. If you wanted a bike with increased suspension travel, you could install the inverted forks and monoshock swingarm from a Lifan (or similar), along with a 223cc engine, replete with electric start. I know the Honda has a certain charm the way it is, but I can't resist tweaking stuff.

The only necessary fab work is to chop the monoshock upper and lower mounts, and weld them onto the Honda frame. I've already mocked up a bike like that, using a similar XR200 frame. If Honda made an XL200 back then, they were rare. I've never seen one.
I am def looking forward to building this bike up. So...by swapping on inverted forks from a hondoid (think thats what you guys call the clones) i would also gain a front disk brake would i not? I am fine with leaving the rear end twin shock and running better shocks on it. Sort of like the old desert racing bikes they used to build out of these XLs. Better forks and brakes up front. But still classic in looks at the same time.
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Quote:

Old 05-04-2016, 10:43 AM   #8

Yes, you'd get disc brakes up front. Depending on the model of China bike, you could have disc brakes on the rear as well.

I recommend against swapping the forks without doing the monoshock conversion. The inverted forks are considerably longer that the stockers, and you'd have a chopper-like effect. The monoshock rear and inverted forks are a matched set that provide tons of ground clearance (comparatively).

With some light fab work, you could also swap the plastic tank and contoured seat from the China bike. Essentially, you'll be able to street-register a China bike, due the Honda frame.

The plan I have is to use a later model XR200 seat and tank, so there is a little more Honda, and a better fuel cap. I have everything in place, except the XL185 frame.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-04-2016, 10:51 AM   #9

I would be a little careful doing this ,as depending on your doner bike some of the chineese bikes have trash suspension components that are not any better than the original bike in reality .

Old 05-04-2016, 10:55 AM   #10

You're exactly right, Bruce; I should have made similar comments.

I used a Gio as a donor, due to the excellent front forks and the CG223. I also used the swingarm and shock from a Roketa, since it is in good shape, and I won't be needing it. The Roketa shock link is quite sturdy, although the bolt holes are sloppy. I intend to bush the holes, as I did with another project some years ago. The point to all of this for me is a higher seat and improved ground clearance, along with a disc brake upgrade.

The Fat Cat motor you mentioned in another thread would be the icing on the cake!

Old 05-04-2016, 12:57 PM   #11

Quote:
Yes, you'd get disc brakes up front. Depending on the model of China bike, you could have disc brakes on the rear as well.

I recommend against swapping the forks without doing the monoshock conversion. The inverted forks are considerably longer that the stockers, and you'd have a chopper-like effect. The monoshock rear and inverted forks are a matched set that provide tons of ground clearance (comparatively).

With some light fab work, you could also swap the plastic tank and contoured seat from the China bike. Essentially, you'll be able to street-register a China bike, due the Honda frame.

The plan I have is to use a later model XR200 seat and tank, so there is a little more Honda, and a better fuel cap. I have everything in place, except the XL185 frame.
Hmmm ok Good points about the suspension. I may just go down the route of tuning the existing one then and setting up the brakes similar to how i have them on my DT. One thing i am going to do however is see about fitting some stiffer rear shocks and more then likely add a pvc pipe spacer in the forks to add some preload to them.

Quote:
I would be a little careful doing this ,as depending on your doner bike some of the chineese bikes have trash suspension components that are not any better than the original bike in reality .
Once again good points. I am probably better off working with the stock honda suspension.

I may also see if there are some Honda street bikes that use a compatible front end to gain disk brakes up front. I know with my DT i can swap on an XS 650 front end to do so. I loose an inch or so of height in the front by doing so but can regain it by running a pair of XT500 rear shocks to make the bike sit similar to current dual sports/supermotos. Kinda wondering if there is some parts switching i can do with honda parts to get there as well.
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Quote:

Old 05-04-2016, 02:19 PM   #12

I have an extra gio 250 chassis if you want the front end it is available .I also have a set of Suzuki pe250 rear shocks and the aluminum swing arm and rear wheel complete if that interests you .
Weld ,I have a fat cat I need to assemble one day ,there is a guy about an hour from me that has a spare engine for $50.00 ,next time I am in his area I will pick it up if he still has it .
Bruce.

Old 05-04-2016, 03:03 PM   #13

Quote:
If Honda made an XL200 back then, they were rare. I've never seen one.
Oh yes, they did indeed. I had a very nice '83 XL200R a few years back.

If I'd have know then about the interchangability of the CG250 motors, I would have never gotten rid of it! Wish I had it now, I'd have a nice Zongshen 250 with it's e-start and 12-volts in it in a heartbeat!

For a few years (84 and 85), Honda also made an XR200R which included the 4-valve RFVC head and the dual-carb set-up. It wasn't a great hit, using much more complexity than a 200cc playbike demanded, and it went away.

Old 05-04-2016, 03:19 PM   #14

Quote:
I have an extra gio 250 chassis if you want the front end it is available .I also have a set of Suzuki pe250 rear shocks and the aluminum swing arm and rear wheel complete if that interests you .
Weld ,I have a fat cat I need to assemble one day ,there is a guy about an hour from me that has a spare engine for $50.00 ,next time I am in his area I will pick it up if he still has it .
Bruce.
I will def keep that in mind, Especially the shocks! Not sure how difficult it would be to swap on the swing arm from the Suzuki though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkN View Post
Oh yes, they did indeed. I had a very nice '83 XL200R a few years back.

If I'd have know then about the interchangability of the CG250 motors, I would have never gotten rid of it! Wish I had it now, I'd have a nice Zongshen 250 with it's e-start and 12-volts in it in a heartbeat!

For a few years (84 and 85), Honda also made an XR200R which included the 4-valve RFVC head and the dual-carb set-up. It wasn't a great hit, using much more complexity than a 200cc playbike demanded, and it went away.
From the brief reading i have done so far on the XLs apparently it is easy to swap to 12 volt...more or less the same process as on old cars. changing the bulbs and regulator to be 12 volt compatible. If it is literally that easy on this bike i am seriously going to consider it. Makes it a lot easier to get replacement parts to put the lighting back together.
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Quote:

Old 05-04-2016, 11:04 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkrider View Post
...apparently it is easy to swap to 12 volt...more or less the same process as on old cars. changing the bulbs and regulator to be 12 volt compatible...
Formal way
Some 12V staor coil works if the hole distance/ height are similar... Rewind the stock also not that difficult...
Quick solution [old stator coil may not handle extra heat]
[1]Reg/rec https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=39272228687 for AC headlight (half-wave/ center-tap) system http://mastercircuits.blogspot.com/2...onversion.html
[2]Once had reliable DC, we can fit lights...
Wide voltage DC6-80v https://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?id=45801004864 is a good thingy...
===
Horn still works under 12v system but changing isn't that difficult either