Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2017, 02:16 PM   #1

Where's the oil coming from?

I could use a little advice here. While on the last leg of the WABDR last month my bike started leaking oil pretty bad . I cannot tell where from. I'm getting ready to do my first valve adjustment but would like to be fore-warned where this oil might be coming from before I get to far into it. It's not spurting out rather than seeping out. I've lost about 1/2 the oil so far. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Pictures below.

Old 10-01-2017, 02:49 PM   #2

I would wash the engine down really well with degreaser. Then take it for a ride and keep an eye on the top end where the oil seems to be coming from.It's so high on the engine that it appears to be coming from the crankcase vent tube. Something may have pinched it or plugged it and it's blowing oil out of it.

Old 10-01-2017, 05:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motocrazy View Post
I could use a little advice here. While on the last leg of the WABDR last month my bike started leaking oil pretty bad . I cannot tell where from. I'm getting ready to do my first valve adjustment but would like to be fore-warned where this oil might be coming from before I get to far into it. It's not spurting out rather than seeping out. I've lost about 1/2 the oil so far. Any advice is greatly appreciated...........
That looks like more than seeping.

Check the valve covers.

My intake valve cover came off due to a stripped bolt.....lost nearly all the oil.

Jb

Old 10-01-2017, 05:55 PM   #4

I reckon that's your valve cover.

Old 10-01-2017, 08:52 PM   #5

Thanks everyone. All good advice. I'l degrease tomorrow and run it a bit. My hunch is the valve cover as well. Would be an easy fix since I'm adjusting them anyway this week.

Old 10-01-2017, 11:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motocrazy View Post
Thanks everyone. All good advice. I'l degrease tomorrow and run it a bit. My hunch is the valve cover as well. Would be an easy fix since I'm adjusting them anyway this week.
Might want to have one coming your way anyway. Nice part to have on hand since your in and out of this area frequently
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~