Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2019, 02:28 PM   #16

Gaijin , I would suggest not doing anything other then normal maintenance like oil change till you get 1000-1500 miles on it. I found my 2015 to be a different bike after breaking it in , more power , smoother, brakes seated in, easier shifting. If it dies on you when coming to a stop, it's telling you to adjust the valves. Very easy bike to have around. 17,500 miles on mine.
I think with a 2018, CSC would have done all the necessary prep work. So just ride it and get to know it.
For fun keep an eye on the coolant to make sure it was burped properly to get all the air out of the system and oil level should be fine. I haven't heard of any RX3 using oil yet.
Go over the nuts and bolts and battery terminals and make sure they are all tight.
Enjoy, rj

Old 06-23-2019, 08:20 PM   #17

Just to be on the safe side, make sure your steering stem is snug and properly greased. Loose steering stem is bad. Really bad. Spooky bad. Scary bad. It also sucks. Never found a set of tapered rollers that fit. Rust from lack of lube aggravates the bad emotions of any motorcycle. My RX3 wasn't all that stable until I pulled the forks, lubed, and properly tightened the rusting steering stem bearings. When right, the RX3 proved herself the most comfortable and capable ride, handling, and braking ever in her class and a couple each way for adventuring.

Old 06-24-2019, 09:13 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqwert View Post
Never found a set of tapered rollers that fit.
Steering stem bearings are 32005, a fairly common type. Be aware that there's also 32005/26 (with 26mm I.D.) but the correct ones are the plain 32005 (25mm inner diameter).

Old 06-24-2019, 01:47 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by willy dog View Post
The SpeedoDRD works you have to cut the plug and solder the wires it was about 10% with my kenda's. I like to know how fast or slow the mighty Zong is really going. Ride it first before you change sprockets it did not take me long to find out my zong was geared to high for me just going to 13th front sprocket was the single best thing i did for my to fast blue
Verified two things: first, yes, the 2018 has the 19" front wheel, and second, the speedometer is still off. It's about 10% off, but it seems to vary, which is odd. It's a good 5mph off at 40, which is like 13%, but at very high speeds (well, relatively!) it's about 8% off. I might just get one and set it at 10% and be "close enough".

Old 06-24-2019, 01:53 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunkyardDog View Post
I have no experience with the RX3 (yet) but I do have quite a bit of experience with big bore kits, and my advice is don't. The bottom end and transmission were not designed for more power. More power equals more stress on engine parts. In every case where I have installed a big bore kit, it has noticeably shortened the life of the engine, decreased reliability, and in some cases broken the engine. I gave up. My feeling now is if you need more power, get a bigger bike where the whole engine and transmission is designed to handle the power it makes.
I agree entirely; I'm just frustrated in that there isn't a bigger-engined bike that I can fit on, for anywhere near the price. The only other ADV bikes my stumpy legs can comfortably accommodate are the Triumph XRX Low and the BMW F750GS (with low suspension and low seat). Both are ~$14,000. The Himalayan is fairly low, affordable, and has a 411cc engine and lots more torque, but it's actually slower on the highway than the RX3 is(!) A Versys 400 would probably be perfect, but doesn't exist (at least not yet). And everything else is just too high, with astronomical seat heights. Ah, the curse of having short legs...

So now I have to figure if I can live with the 250 as-is, or improve the power somewhat with the 283cc or 298cc kit, while I wait to see what the RX4 brings, or the eventual Royal Enfield Himalayan 650 that's been discussed, or if KTM will bring the 390 Adventure to the USA, or if Kawasaki will make a 400 Versys.

The RX3 is very good for the price, it just needs more go.

Old 06-24-2019, 01:54 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmorel View Post
Gaijin , I would suggest not doing anything other then normal maintenance like oil change till you get 1000-1500 miles on it.
Agreed, I just did that; my break-in ride was 1500 miles... I'll post a thread about that and my observations.

EDIT: here's the story of the break-in and 1500 mile ride:
http://www.chinariders.net/showthrea...842#post312842

Last edited by Gaijin; 06-24-2019 at 06:24 PM.

Old 06-29-2019, 08:09 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanro View Post
Steering stem bearings are 32005, a fairly common type. Be aware that there's also 32005/26 (with 26mm I.D.) but the correct ones are the plain 32005 (25mm inner diameter).
Yes. 32005 SKF is the correct part number. 25mm i.d., 47mm o.d., 15mm width. None of my locals had any in stock and I wanted to ride, so, ... . Stopped by my brother-in-law's machine shop a few days ago and had a wild hair to ask about his inventory. He has a couple hundred in stock.

Old 11-12-2019, 03:50 PM   #23

Hi to you all imJoe from the U.K. I have just become an RX3 known asa Hanley here at this stage it’s std 14” rear wheel ,fuel injected model year is 2015 with only 3010 miles from new , has only covered one trip around France in 2016 so very little use . I know the CSC model had quite a few manufacture changes in wheel size etc ,
Can anyone advise any upgrades that might be useful . I’ve been in motor bikes for 40 Yrs so quite a bit of engine knowledge ,kind regards Joe .

Old 11-12-2019, 06:33 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpms View Post
Hi to you all imJoe from the U.K. I have just become an RX3 known asa Hanley here at this stage it’s std 14” rear wheel ,fuel injected model year is 2015 with only 3010 miles from new , has only covered one trip around France in 2016 so very little use . I know the CSC model had quite a few manufacture changes in wheel size etc ,
Can anyone advise any upgrades that might be useful . I’ve been in motor bikes for 40 Yrs so quite a bit of engine knowledge ,kind regards Joe .
You’ve got a 15 inch rear, nothing wrong just maybe hard to get tyres
I have Ali cast wheels on mine
What do you like or need? Only really small changes to these bikes over the years etc

Old 11-13-2019, 03:49 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by NzBrakelathes View Post
You’ve got a 15 inch rear, nothing wrong just maybe hard to get tyres
I have Ali cast wheels on mine
What do you like or need? Only really small changes to these bikes over the years etc
Thank you for your reply , yes it is a 15” wheel my mistake , things I have to do are small silly items , just normal TLC. I do have to sort out the ignition switch as you have to giggle the key a couple of time to get contact ,but other than Getting some oil filters I’m having fun

Old 11-13-2019, 07:38 PM   #26

Quote:
Thank you for your reply , yes it is a 15” wheel my mistake , things I have to do are small silly items , just normal TLC. I do have to sort out the ignition switch as you have to giggle the key a couple of time to get contact ,but other than Getting some oil filters I’m having fun
I sell all that but currently not in china but Texas USA lol

Old 11-13-2019, 09:25 PM   #27

Ignition fix

Quote:
I do have to sort out the ignition switch as you have to giggle the key a couple of time to get contact ,but other than Getting some oil filters I’m having fun
I took my ignition apart and cleaned the bottom of the cylinder (easier to understand when you take it apart) and I haven't had any problems since.

Will
Central FL
'15 Mustard and Orange

Old 11-13-2019, 09:27 PM   #28

Seat covers

Quote:
Originally Posted by NzBrakelathes View Post
I sell all that but currently not in china but Texas USA lol
I am interested in the seat covers if they are still available whenever you get back.

Thanks.

Will
'15 Mustard and Orange

Old 11-14-2019, 12:06 AM   #29

Thanks for the switch info . I shall take apart and check it out ,rather than get a new switch assembly regards Joe

Old 11-21-2019, 04:04 PM   #30

Just as you said took the switch off cleaned the contacts & all works as it should ,such an easy fix thanks