Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2018, 04:12 PM   #16

eh... I'm just cheap

Old 04-19-2018, 08:55 PM   #17

I had been avoiding Chinese bikes because of their awful reputation but after some lousy experiences with Japanese and European bikes I thought I had little to lose buying a 2015 Hawk for $700.
My 2014 FZ-09 Yamaha was initially a pig to ride and the dealer was obviously out of his depth trying to fix it. I eventually took it elsewhere and they got it to run reasonably well, if not as flawless as I expect from a Japanese manufacturer. It was comfortable, had all kinds of torque but there was this cam chain adjuster issue which never got fixed on mine. It was like a ticking time bomb and I sold it, dropping more than I paid for the Hawk in 6 months. That left a bad taste.
I also had a KTM690 Duke which was a reliable, lightweight (350lbs wet), beautifully handling bike but it had one fatal flaw. It was a vibro massage machine. There was a sweet spot between 3250 and 4000rpm where it was bearably smooth, otherwise it would quickly rattle your teeth out. It made my KLR650 feel like an electric motor. It got traded for a Royal Enfield Continental GT which I was besotted with. I had a glorious summer pottering around the local by-ways and back roads. It too vibrated but it was possible to short shift it and keep the revs below the vibration band. It blew a stator over the winter and R. Enfield USA didn't have one. They were on a slow boat from India. Eventually it got fixed but I had lost almost a whole riding season waiting for parts etc so I sold it. It felt like having a beautiful wife and finding she had been screwing the gardener, a betrayal.
I now ride around the area trails on my Hawk which has so far been very reliable despite lacking lubrication on various parts eg rear axle. I lost more than I paid for the Hawk, on all three of the other bikes, so my feeling is, "What have I got to lose trying it?".
I have been riding for 56 years, owned well over 60 bikes in that time and started out with a 1963 Honda 55 Trail.

Old 04-20-2018, 10:27 AM   #18

I got mine because I wanted a duel sport that I could learn on and not have to worry about dropping it. Also having kids kinda drains the wallet so didn't want to spend the 5k+ for a bike. The total that I paid for my bike, the wife's atv and 2 kids atv's is still thousands less then buying a new Japanese bike.

Old 04-20-2018, 01:19 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshawk View Post
I had been avoiding Chinese bikes because of their awful reputation but after some lousy experiences with Japanese and European bikes I thought I had little to lose buying a 2015 Hawk for $700.
My 2014 FZ-09 Yamaha was initially a pig to ride and the dealer was obviously out of his depth trying to fix it. I eventually took it elsewhere and they got it to run reasonably well, if not as flawless as I expect from a Japanese manufacturer. It was comfortable, had all kinds of torque but there was this cam chain adjuster issue which never got fixed on mine. It was like a ticking time bomb and I sold it, dropping more than I paid for the Hawk in 6 months. That left a bad taste.
I also had a KTM690 Duke which was a reliable, lightweight (350lbs wet), beautifully handling bike but it had one fatal flaw. It was a vibro massage machine. There was a sweet spot between 3250 and 4000rpm where it was bearably smooth, otherwise it would quickly rattle your teeth out. It made my KLR650 feel like an electric motor. It got traded for a Royal Enfield Continental GT which I was besotted with. I had a glorious summer pottering around the local by-ways and back roads. It too vibrated but it was possible to short shift it and keep the revs below the vibration band. It blew a stator over the winter and R. Enfield USA didn't have one. They were on a slow boat from India. Eventually it got fixed but I had lost almost a whole riding season waiting for parts etc so I sold it. It felt like having a beautiful wife and finding she had been screwing the gardener, a betrayal.
I have run into similar things with "big name" bikes. That is why I kind of laugh when people get snobby and say things like "Chinese junk." Sure, maybe 10 years ago there would be an appreciable difference, but that gap is very narrow now.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 04-21-2018, 08:34 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
I have run into similar things with "big name" bikes. That is why I kind of laugh when people get snobby and say things like "Chinese junk." Sure, maybe 10 years ago there would be an appreciable difference, but that gap is very narrow now.
What really gets me is when they say that but have no knowledge that the engine on their bike is Chinese, the wheels, maybe even the frame. The smaller youth atvs are pretty much all made in Taiwan now with some being Chinese and I’m talking about the ones that cost $2,500 from ALL of the major brands. I know that for the price you’re getting better materials, better QC, and more r&d but, for a child or adult who’s starting out or just looking to have fun in the back yard (like me) there is no point in spending $2,500 to $10,000 PER PERSON for bikes made in Japan or Taiwan vs China. It just doesn’t make sense.

I think the biggest issue with buying these, used not new is the previous owner. I bought small dirt bikes and atvs, nothing full size and the thing that they always have in common is that the tires are bald because they’re ridden down the street not in the dirt and no maintenance has been done to them, ever. I think a lot of people see these beat up used ones and form their opinion from that but, now that I’ve gotten into the nuts and bolts of them I realize that they’re not so bad and any bike, regardless of price wouldn’t be very appealing if it led the life that these have. On the same note the Apollo I have is barely used, it’s in fantastic shape and I can see from that one that quality on them is quite good. If you get to them before they’re abused there is nothing to worry about buying a Chinese vehicle.

Old 04-21-2018, 10:05 AM   #21

I haven't bought a China bike yet, because I have a lot of experience with motorcycles.

I have been waiting to see how things play out with the Hawks and similar bikes. I've also been waiting for a DF250 bobber to come up for sale cheap, or with a blown motor, so I can swap in my spare GS500 twin engine.

Old 04-23-2018, 05:53 PM   #22

I'm a new rider and definitely picked up the Hawk knowing that it was within my current skill level and I wouldnt be devistated if I dropped it. Mine was delivered to the front door and I was taking her for a spin the next day. Still need to get my motorcycle license down here in TX but I can tell it will be a great bike to learn on. I came close to buying one a couple years back but was disuaded due to all the negative comments on china bikes. Glad I picked it up on this go around because it really is allot of bike for the money.

Old 04-23-2018, 08:47 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
I haven't bought a China bike yet, because I have a lot of experience with motorcycles.

I have been waiting to see how things play out with the Hawks and similar bikes. I've also been waiting for a DF250 bobber to come up for sale cheap, or with a blown motor, so I can swap in my spare GS500 twin engine.
I know what you mean. I keep surfing CL looking for a 500cc Triumph Trophy. I ought to find one for say, 5-600 bucks. After all they were only $1050-1100 new, and I'm willing to get a used one. I've been looking since I was 60 and I'm 80 now, with no luck. Can't understand why...ARH

Old 04-25-2018, 04:00 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel Red Hunter View Post
I know what you mean. I keep surfing CL looking for a 500cc Triumph Trophy. I ought to find one for say, 5-600 bucks. After all they were only $1050-1100 new, and I'm willing to get a used one. I've been looking since I was 60 and I'm 80 now, with no luck. Can't understand why...ARH
Same here; I have been looking for a Vincent Black Shadow for $2K, that's what they were going for when I bought my new 1974 CB400F. You would think they would be dirt cheap by now, not the $985,000 recently paid at auction for a rare version. If you want to buy a similar "soon to be very rare and stratospherically priced bike", look for a Ducati 916 that has some semblence of original bodywork on it.

Old 04-25-2018, 08:57 PM   #25

At one time I had the impression that all Chinese motorcycles were "junk". I have a Honda CT70 that I wanted to have more power. The most economical way to do this was to replace the engine with a bigger Chinese made engine. I did some research and I bought a Piranha 125cc engine. I was so impressed with the power and durability of this engine I bought another one for my other CT70.
So when I decided I wanted a Grom, but didn't want to pay 4k to get one, i was more open minded to buying a Chinese "clone". I bought the Taotao Hellcat,and did the necessary mods to improve the quality and performance. Now i have a decent lil playbike that I'm really happy with and it's a fun project! Is it as good as a Grom? No. But for a total investment of about $1500, it's close enough for me.

Old 04-26-2018, 02:06 AM   #26

I started riding at 10, racing MX at 12, drag racing bikes at 17, building at 18.
Now I am 55 and still riding, mostly v-twins the last 20 years, had a vast assortment over the years. I live for the tinkering and building, and using parts that the norm says won't fit and machining and adapting to fit my need.

The older I get the more time I spend building than riding, wanting to change that, that's why i am looking to do the china bike to putt around on and get back to the roots of where I started.

Old 04-26-2018, 07:54 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrastu View Post
I started riding at 10, racing MX at 12, drag racing bikes at 17, building at 18.
Now I am 55 and still riding, mostly v-twins the last 20 years, had a vast assortment over the years. I live for the tinkering and building, and using parts that the norm says won't fit and machining and adapting to fit my need.

The older I get the more time I spend building than riding, wanting to change that, that's why i am looking to do the china bike to putt around on and get back to the roots of where I started.
You picked the right bike for tinkering. lol Just made 60 and enjoy playing around with my Hawk on the weekends thinking about what I can do next.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel