Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Everything Else

Old 10-19-2017, 09:26 PM   #1

Tote Gote inspired utility vehicle project.

Now granted this is a longer term project idea. But after doing some reading on the tote gotes as a result of Sams Coleman thread. I figured i might as well start a thread on this idea to serve as a project log of sorts. The idea i have is getting ahold of a couple of old trikes be it a pair of Honda ATCs or Yamaha Tri motos..etc. Mostly for their front end and rear axle. The idea is to build a chassis similar to a mini bike/tote gote to serve as a new platform. Essentially it will be a stretched chassis vs the original trike chassis. This will allow the addition of a decent sized rack or bed behind the seat. The Motor will shift back a bit as well. More then likely some sort of motorcycle fuel tank or even the donor trikes tanks will be used to increase fuel capacity to what ever engines end up in these. Already figured out i can more then likely just flip the brake linkage levers on the rear brake to keep it working as the rear axle will be flipped to work with the jack shaft system from the motor. Using donor parts from an ATV will allow for easier service in the future. I hope to use 12 v electric start motors and if needed will figure out some way of driving a car alternator off of the jack shaft to keep the battery topped up. By using a full size vehicle battery it will take a lot of use before it is dead. Overall design is still a work in progress. Will attempt to sketch out some ideas in the near future.
'80 Honda XL185S
'76 Yamaha DT250C dual sport
Baja Wilderness Trail 250
'07 Honda Shadow 750 Areo Trike
'01 Harley Davidson Softail Deuce
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyj812 View Post
You can't pin this one on me, my wife is still mad at me. I don't need your wife mad at me too. LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
Disclaimer: The above post by 2LZ is in no way the view of this site, other members or Bruce's llama. It is the opinion of 2LZ and 2LZ alone. ;-)

Old 10-19-2017, 10:24 PM   #2

This is a very inspiring project idea. I am subscribing and willing to offer any help that I can. The Honda Fat Cat and Yamaha BW350 have always been bikes that I was interested in. A few months ago, I tried to buy a 1985 Honda ATC250X from a local shop. My thought was that I wanted to build a fat tire utility bike. Another very ambitious project.

Check for YouTube videos on the subject. You’ll get a few ideas there.

Great project. I wish you the very best with it.

SamM
2017 Coleman CT200U
1978 Yamaha SR500E
1979 Yamaha XS650 Special II

Old 10-20-2017, 07:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamM View Post
This is a very inspiring project idea. I am subscribing and willing to offer any help that I can. The Honda Fat Cat and Yamaha BW350 have always been bikes that I was interested in. A few months ago, I tried to buy a 1985 Honda ATC250X from a local shop. My thought was that I wanted to build a fat tire utility bike. Another very ambitious project.

Check for YouTube videos on the subject. You’ll get a few ideas there.

Great project. I wish you the very best with it.

SamM
Thanks! One idea i have kicked around a couple times already is the use of a small single cyl (250-300 cc) motorcycle engine off of a bike like a Honda Rebel or a small Yamaha. Or even a twin like a Yamaha XS series bike. That takes care of the charging system and i would still use a Jack shaft to connect the two. But in that case it would be to add some further gearing and to adapt one chain type to another. Example the Motorcycle chain to what ever the Trike used. Plus the Jackshaft can serve a further purpose at that point. A drive connection to add reverse of some type.
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
You can't pin this one on me, my wife is still mad at me. I don't need your wife mad at me too. LOL
Quote:
Disclaimer: The above post by 2LZ is in no way the view of this site, other members or Bruce's llama. It is the opinion of 2LZ and 2LZ alone. ;-)

Old 10-20-2017, 10:54 PM   #4

I’m considering a small Honda, Yamaha or Kawasaki engine for my Fox Thunderbolt. Maybe a TTR125 engine with a big bore kit. Yamaha TTR125L forks could be adapted to the stock Fox neck. This would put the bike into the playbike category. The stock type jackshaft could be retained on the Thunderbolt. Stock Fox wheels and brakes would be used as well and a bigger fuel tank. This would make a nice little retro 170+cc playbike. The Fox leading link fork would be a perfect match for the CT200U. These are my thoughts so far.

SamM
2017 Coleman CT200U
1978 Yamaha SR500E

Old 10-21-2017, 01:45 AM   #5

Quote:
I’m considering a small Honda, Yamaha or Kawasaki engine for my Fox Thunderbolt. Maybe a TTR125 engine with a big bore kit. Yamaha TTR125L forks could be adapted to the stock Fox neck. This would put the bike into the playbike category. The stock type jackshaft could be retained on the Thunderbolt. Stock Fox wheels and brakes would be used as well and a bigger fuel tank. This would make a nice little retro 170+cc playbike. The Fox leading link fork would be a perfect match for the CT200U. These are my thoughts so far.

SamM

I will admit i needed to do a google search on the Fox. Def an interesting looking bike. After giving it some thought of how it would look with newer forks...Kinda gives ideas for similar build. But using forks and rear suspension from an older bike but powering it with a single cyl horizontal shaft motor.
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Quote:

Old 01-25-2018, 12:17 PM   #6

Just to touch on an above post. After some thought on this and given the intended use. I am most likely going to look for a small CC electric start motorcycle engine. As pointed out above this will provide me a charging system as well as the lighting system from the donor motorcycle. Rather then using a full size car battery as originally planned the more likely set up will be a pair of motorcycle batteries wired in parallel to double the capacity. Other option being back to the car battery idea but one for an import car such a civic. As for the reverse idea. I have heard of it being done with modified starter motors. But i will dig more into that as i would not be surprised if there are dedicated 12 volt motors with a sprocket on them for this specific purpose.
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Quote:

Old 01-25-2018, 08:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Just to touch on an above post. After some thought on this and given the intended use. I am most likely going to look for a small CC electric start motorcycle engine. As pointed out above this will provide me a charging system as well as the lighting system from the donor motorcycle. Rather then using a full size car battery as originally planned the more likely set up will be a pair of motorcycle batteries wired in parallel to double the capacity. Other option being back to the car battery idea but one for an import car such a civic. As for the reverse idea. I have heard of it being done with modified starter motors. But i will dig more into that as i would not be surprised if there are dedicated 12 volt motors with a sprocket on them for this specific purpose.
Darkrider,
I have been considering going with a new Honda electric start engine. This would solve quite a few potential problems. Another option is a Honda flywheel and dual Honda charge coils. This could solve the lighting problem and allow me to keep the lightweight Hemi Predator engine. The Honda flywheels are not prone to failure like the clone flywheels supposedly are. That might be the way to go and I’ll check into it. Work lights for use at night would be nice to have. I just purchased a Tillotson carb (the hot ticket for fueling these small engines). I’ll most likely stay with the Hemi engine for now. I’m also thinking about adding a small motorcycle gel battery and solar panel that I have, to keep it charged. A battery tender will be used in the garage to keep the battery topped off.

I’ve been working on a few other additions that I would like to add to my CT200U. I’ll be posting about them in my build thread.

SamM
2017 Coleman CT200U
1978 Yamaha SR500E

Old 01-26-2018, 10:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Darkrider,
I have been considering going with a new Honda electric start engine. This would solve quite a few potential problems. Another option is a Honda flywheel and dual Honda charge coils. This could solve the lighting problem and allow me to keep the lightweight Hemi Predator engine. The Honda flywheels are not prone to failure like the clone flywheels supposedly are. That might be the way to go and I’ll check into it. Work lights for use at night would be nice to have. I just purchased a Tillotson carb (the hot ticket for fueling these small engines). I’ll most likely stay with the Hemi engine for now. I’m also thinking about adding a small motorcycle gel battery and solar panel that I have, to keep it charged. A battery tender will be used in the garage to keep the battery topped off.

I’ve been working on a few other additions that I would like to add to my CT200U. I’ll be posting about them in my build thread.

SamM
Def some good ideas there! Looking forward to seeing what you add to your build. Another reason for a small motorcycle engine in this one is because the finished project will probably be used in some ghost town expeditions. So speed is kind of a factor as well.
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Quote:

Old 06-23-2018, 01:39 AM   #9

So i may end up with a donor trike for this idea in a couple weeks. Looking at a pair of 1981 Kawasaki KLT200s as a package deal. One is a runner other then needing a coil and the other is a parts machine that could easily donate its rear and front end.
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Quote: