Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2017, 11:16 PM   #1

Look Ma no hands... sort of

So I was riding my hawk and I took my hands off the handle bars to adjust my glove and I was struggling to steer this bike with no hands. I used to be able to do this on my CR and all my bicycles but can seem to get this to track where I want without my hands.

Is this because of the Rake or the tires or my skills? Anyone else notice this?

Old 10-19-2017, 10:04 AM   #2

It could one of a few different causes or the tolerance stack-up of a few issues. Off the top of my bald head:
Rims aren't true, front caliper dragging a bit, steering neck not set up properly, poor quality tires, steering neck isn't true to the frame (that's a long shot), either (or both) rims aren't centered on the axle, etc.
Before tearing anything apart, ride the bike slowly on a surface that will tell you what the tires are doing, like a bit of sand or water on the road; there should be only one tire track, not two. Then, put the bike on a stand and check both rims. Do they spin freely? Are they out of round? After those simple tests, you can begin to diagnose.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-19-2017, 10:21 AM   #3

Could also be a dragging wheel bearing. You'll discover that when you put it on a stand and spin the wheels. if it is, I'd swap 'em with Japanese bearings.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-19-2017, 01:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
It could one of a few different causes or the tolerance stack-up of a few issues. Off the top of my bald head:
Rims aren't true, front caliper dragging a bit, steering neck not set up properly, poor quality tires, steering neck isn't true to the frame (that's a long shot), either (or both) rims aren't centered on the axle, etc.
Before tearing anything apart, ride the bike slowly on a surface that will tell you what the tires are doing, like a bit of sand or water on the road; there should be only one tire track, not two. Then, put the bike on a stand and check both rims. Do they spin freely? Are they out of round? After those simple tests, you can begin to diagnose.
I had that problem once, years ago. Headstock bearings were too tight, and needed grease....ARH

Old 10-19-2017, 01:33 PM   #5

It could be many of the things mentioned, but even in perfect working order I have found my Hawk far more trickly to go "hands free" than many of my previous bikes. I chalk some of it up to my own mass in relation to the bikes, and the center of gravity and height of the bike as well. I can make this bike change direction by simply sneezing.

That said, I would like to add a couple of things to the Weldandgrind list.
Front fork alignment is slightly out and/or rear wheel alignment is off just a bit. The rear wheel alignment can sometimes make the front feel and behave as if it is out of whack too. That slight off-tracking of one wheel can throw off your sense of balance and direction when you let go. It's a long shot, but very easy to check for and correct.

Old 10-19-2017, 02:41 PM   #6

Great info. Thank you everyone. Going to check the easy stuff first. Confession to ARH... I haven't yet greased the steering. I have grease zerks ready to go, just need time. Once the white stuff starts flying I will tackle that project.

Old 10-20-2017, 10:44 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
Front fork alignment is slightly out and/or rear wheel alignment is off just a bit. The rear wheel alignment can sometimes make the front feel and behave as if it is out of whack too.
Here! Here!

Also, it could just not be a very well balanced bike and as MD states, on such a small light bike and our fat asses on them, it's like sitting a bowling ball on a golf tee.

Mrs. 2LZ Victory is almost impossible to ride with no hands because all the giant exhaust pipes hang on one side.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 10-20-2017, 02:27 PM   #8

Hmmmm...I haven't tried that yet on the Hawk. I'll have to see over the weekend how it works out. I'll have to make sure I do it in front of my mom's house to get the full effect. lol
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 10-20-2017, 05:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
Here! Here!

Also, it could just not be a very well balanced bike and as MD states, on such a small light bike and our fat asses on them, it's like sitting a bowling ball on a golf tee.

Mrs. 2LZ Victory is almost impossible to ride with no hands because all the giant exhaust pipes hang on one side.
We'd know a lot more about this problem if one of us had an incline-o-meter. Currently, the digital read out ones have magnets, and you glom them on the steel part of the fork tubes to check the steering head angle. Try it both with the bike Naked and with you sitting on it, with your long suffering wife reading off the degrees. 27.5 degrees allows fast steering, but not twitchy. Ducati's, Harleys and Indians are 30 or a little more degrees, and they go down the road like an old toad. That means locked-in steering...ARH

Old 10-25-2017, 11:49 AM   #10

I tried t over the weekend. At 55 and down to 35 it wasn't a problem keeping it strait. Now I wish I had cruise control.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 10-26-2017, 12:50 PM   #11

One other but of data. My tires are inflated to 32 psi. Not sure if that matters.