Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs

Old 11-02-2017, 07:47 PM   #46

When you turn the key on do the headlights work?

Old 11-02-2017, 07:55 PM   #47

Check the fuse at the positive battery connection. It's a glass type in the white case.
2016 Tao Tao 125D

Old 11-02-2017, 11:19 PM   #48

Crazy. I checked the fuse earlier, but as soon as I posted, I thought I should probably check it again. YEP, that's it. I was just assuming it couldn't be b/c I wasn't even going anywhere, but I found out what blew it. It WAS the back brake electrical contact. the contact housing itself is busted, so it would be hanging loose or off, causing it to arc--bye-bye fuse.

Unfortunately I realized it after it blew the spare fuse. Gorilla taped the housing, picking up more fuses tomorrow, then see if I can actually get some fun in on this puppy

Old 11-03-2017, 05:09 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by uphill View Post
Crazy. I checked the fuse earlier, but as soon as I posted, I thought I should probably check it again. YEP, that's it. I was just assuming it couldn't be b/c I wasn't even going anywhere, but I found out what blew it. It WAS the back brake electrical contact. the contact housing itself is busted, so it would be hanging loose or off, causing it to arc--bye-bye fuse.

Unfortunately I realized it after it blew the spare fuse. Gorilla taped the housing, picking up more fuses tomorrow, then see if I can actually get some fun in on this puppy
Time to upgrade to a ATC style automotive fuse... for most applications I like to use Bussmann CB222 Type II fuse in whatever amps you need

No more replacing fuses when it trips and kills the engine/electrics for whatever dumb reason... just turn the key OFF (fuse is "reset", electrics "work" again), then find the problem that caused it to trip, fix the issue, turn key to ON and start the engine... life is so much better with a "circuit breaker fuse"

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 11-03-2017, 10:33 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhule View Post
Time to upgrade to a ATC style automotive fuse... for most applications I like to use Bussmann CB222 Type II fuse in whatever amps you need

No more replacing fuses when it trips and kills the engine/electrics for whatever dumb reason... just turn the key OFF (fuse is "reset", electrics "work" again), then find the problem that caused it to trip, fix the issue, turn key to ON and start the engine... life is so much better with a "circuit breaker fuse"

I don't think that I've seen these before. A bit pricey but the idea sounds great. Where are these normally used?
2016 Tao Tao 125D

Old 11-04-2017, 09:53 PM   #51

Fuse

Aha thanks for that tip Azhule! Riding today was definitely the best so far. Nothing to do besides idle adjustments. I really appreciate the input from everybody. BIG thumbs up for this forum

P.S. I picked up the "No Spill" gas can. It's a great investment, particularly the auto-stop feature for the blind fill we have on these quads. If anyone doesn't have one, I'd highly recommend it. Search "no spill gas can". Just by reviews, it looked better than SureCan, but I've only used this one. It's the lesser price of the two.

Old 11-04-2017, 11:26 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by david3921 View Post
I don't think that I've seen these before. A bit pricey but the idea sounds great. Where are these normally used?
I buy them from Rock Auto with my car parts order, they only cost a dollar or two each last time I ordered them, well worth the price IMO

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 11-05-2017, 10:50 AM   #53

Curious about the resettable fuse. What kind of indicator does it have to let you know its tripped? How does it let you know?

/

Old 11-06-2017, 11:29 AM   #54

Fuse

It does not have a indicator.. just a trip click sound.. and no power... I think if you want t o spend more money you can get the ones that do have a reset switch... $$$ they will trip if there is a short ( like the broken brake switch or a broken tail light ) .. either way ... carry some fuses ( 10-15 amp ) or switch over to the blade kind... Harbour Freight or Napa or other parts places...

Old 11-14-2017, 09:27 AM   #55

Hi guys, I am too looking to pull a trigger on a rhino. I want to use it a couple times for ice fishing mainly when the ice isn't thick enough to drive a truck on it yet. Will it be strong enough to pull a sled behind? Also, am looking to buy from Upzy over their black friday deal, or are there any better deals out there?

Old 11-14-2017, 05:39 PM   #56

ice fishing

O would say it would have enough power for the shack... the main thing is if there was too much snow for traction... but with good runners and on ice... no problem..

Old 11-14-2017, 09:18 PM   #57

Chains for the tires would probably be best.... yeah I pull about 300-400 pounds with my Rhino.. in and out of the creek banks. A sled would be nothing and sounds like mostly a flat surface.

Any price close to $1200 dollars is good.. I strongly suggest calling the dealer before ordering.

Old 11-14-2017, 09:33 PM   #58

Hey mboss, welcome! I was going to post an update on the dealer aspect of my recent buy on the Rhino. I give Texas Powersports 5 STARS all the way. It was lowest price I could find $1229 delivered, and I'm always extra cautious when it's the lowest $. Sometimes you get the lowest in other areas when that is the case. But with TXP, I'm glad to say it's all good. Their communication was almost instant by email, spoke on the phone to check what colors they had, and I only had one part break (not sure when it happened, in shipping or later). They asked for a picture, and sent it out with the bill of sale info SAME DAY! The bike itself came earlier than the 7 day UPS free delivery standard stated on the site. If you read this whole thread, you'll see any of my problems were just learning curve, being my first quad.

As far as ice fishing, I can't speak from experience, but you can find videos of guys plowing snow in slick conditions, so my guess is no problem. FLASLIGHTBOY definitely knows these machines. I would add... get some chains for the rear tires... extra grip might be needed. As an old trucker once told me, "I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it."

I'll chime in with anything that might be of help to you. All the best!

EDIT: I guess I started typing just before Darth posted. YEP, chains. Also, the snow plowing vids I've seen are almost all the smaller quads, so they can take a beating.