Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Riding > Ride Reports

Old 09-11-2017, 09:27 PM   #1

Nurd 2017

Sept., 9, 2017. National Ural Rally Day. Kind of, sort of, a gimmick rally run on the honor system. Ural loosely, very loosely, sponsors it.

https://www.imz-ural.com/national-rally-day

Anywho, Mrs C and I participated. #IL1535. We left from the local gas station at 9:44 AM and pretty much did a repeat of our first long Ural ride to Brightonwoods Apple Orchard in Brighton, WI. Got some UDF, apples, pears, cheese curds(they were fantastic), apple cider, and another bottle of Brown Dog Single Malt.
From the orchard, we rode down to Twin Lakes, WI and grabbed lunch at the Sand Bar Grill. I can reccomend the Blackened Grouper Sandwich. From there, we rode home via back roads through Mchenry County. We parked at the house for about five minutes. Then, after the potty call, we hopped back on the Ural and rode down to Batavia, IL, where we did baby sitting duties for our grandsons. We left Batavia at 7:50 PM and were home about 8:30. We were beat and I was cold. I'd left my rain jacket in the garage and was left with only my vented jacket. It's a bit drafty at 50 mph and 50F.
Several different gimmicks were involved. One was the 'Pucker', where you gassed up, set your petcock to reserve, and rode until you ran out of gas. If you were smart, you brought gas with you. I was smart. We ran out at 179.8 km, which just happened to be when we turned into our driveway. Others were, Ural Road, which was paved but not lined; Dirty Ural Road, which is unpaved(didn't come across any); superlative, which is oldest, largest, longest, whatever. We picked The Stage Stop Restaurant in Wilmot, WI, in continuous operation since 1848. Except it closed this year.
We ended up with 241 km and 941 points. As this was only the second gimmick rally we've done in our 45 years together, I doubt we'll crack the top 100. But it was fun.

Pics here. https://www.flickr.com/photos/214992...57686464901624

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts