Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2020, 01:27 AM   #1

Head Scratching Tbr7 question

I'm new to the Chinese bikes and have narrowed it down to 2 bikes the tbr7 (leaning heavily towards) and the hawk 250. I feel like I see this alot so I apologize for asking it but could not find the exact answer/opinion to my questions. I am just about 6ft and about 220lbs and will primarily be doing street riding (hence leaning toward the tbr7) but I was wondering if the height of tbr7 would be better or worse for me than the hawk 250. Also my main concern is I feel like I see people say the hawk 250 is more reliable, if that is the case i am wondering if I should just get the hawk and put more street 50/50 tires one it?
Thanks for the help, and again apologizes on the new person type question!

Old 05-03-2020, 01:55 AM   #2

Just consider them more or less the same. The TBR7 is just a Hawk with smaller wheels and tires on it. The Hawk has a few small advantages, such as using an H4 headlight, the 18/21 inch wheels are easier to find many tire options for vs. the TBR7's 17/19 setup has fewer options.

I wouldn't say that the Hawk is more reliable per se. It is definitely more proven since it has been around longer and there are tons of owners here, myself included, that have seen pretty much all of the faults and worked out fixes for them.

The TBR7 and Hawk are close to the same as far as rider positioning, but the Hawk does have a higher seat height due to its larger wheels and tires mainly. Both will likely fit you close to the same, with the Hawk possibly making you tippy toe a bit more.

I know it is a hard choice lol. Honestly, if you can afford it, I would say go with a new 2020 Brozz from Peacesports. It has the smaller wheels like the TBR7, but also has a lot of improvements over the TBR7 in terms of suspension, gearing, and quality out of the box. It also has a counter balanced motor, which many here argue makes it a better street bike.

All of that said, the Hawk can make a decent street bike, but it takes a couple of upgrades to really get it there. I adore my Hawk for the workhorse it is.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 01-12-2021, 10:09 PM   #3

Is it confirmed that the hawk wheels will fit the TbR7 thanks in advance ��

Old 01-13-2021, 06:20 AM   #4

Most of the new tbr7 are being shipped with better equipment than the hawks if you're buying new.
Mine came with folding shift lever, led lights, sealed battery, metal engine guard, hand guards, metal storage rack and way overkill 530 gold chain. They also come in white which hides scratches... at the time my tbr7 was as also 50bux less than the hawk, but I think the prices are moving up on them.
Mods so far- Brozz swingarm, 21" front rim (Bridgestone Tw302 rear/Dunlop D606 front tires), Digital gauge cluster, pz30b pumper carb, after market hand guards, aftermarket brake and clutch levers, round fold away mirrors, Fly handlebars shortened slightly, 13t front sprocket
2009 Q-link Legacy 250
1982 Suzuki GS1100ES - "Jolene"

Old 01-13-2021, 01:21 PM   #5

I went through the same research before buying the TBR7. I have all the same upgrades on mine that TxTaoRider describes, plus a handlebar USB port and LED headlight.

I changed the sprockets so I had to switch to a 520 100 link chain with 13 front/ 32 rear, so the 530 was not a factor. I also, changed the shock to a 290mm 1200lb shorter one since I am not that tall. Plus a Minkuni carb, better exhaust, additional burrito tube, license plat storage box to make it more functional. Parts are dirt cheap for the bike, so I figured I might as well get the cheaper one and just put the better quality parts on where it makes sense. It worked out well for me.

Everything these guys said is spot on. I likely read a lot of what they said before purchasing. They know their stuff.

They are right about tires and less options. But there are some options out there for it. A wide aggressive Motox for the rear and a few nice brand options on the front. Its not a huge decision factor difference given that.

But, in New Jersey, the Hawk is a no go for street use with my verification with the DMV. That ultimately made my decision for me.

Old 01-13-2021, 03:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyTBR7 View Post
I went through the same research before buying the TBR7. I have all the same upgrades on mine that TxTaoRider describes, plus a handlebar USB port and LED headlight.

I changed the sprockets so I had to switch to a 520 100 link chain with 13 front/ 32 rear, so the 530 was not a factor. I also, changed the shock to a 290mm 1200lb shorter one since I am not that tall. Plus a Minkuni carb, better exhaust, additional burrito tube, license plat storage box to make it more functional. Parts are dirt cheap for the bike, so I figured I might as well get the cheaper one and just put the better quality parts on where it makes sense. It worked out well for me.

Everything these guys said is spot on. I likely read a lot of what they said before purchasing. They know their stuff.

They are right about tires and less options. But there are some options out there for it. A wide aggressive Motox for the rear and a few nice brand options on the front. Its not a huge decision factor difference given that.

But, in New Jersey, the Hawk is a no go for street use with my verification with the DMV. That ultimately made my decision for me.
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the USB charging port. I've never used it but it's good to know it's there. Lol
Mods so far- Brozz swingarm, 21" front rim (Bridgestone Tw302 rear/Dunlop D606 front tires), Digital gauge cluster, pz30b pumper carb, after market hand guards, aftermarket brake and clutch levers, round fold away mirrors, Fly handlebars shortened slightly, 13t front sprocket
2009 Q-link Legacy 250
1982 Suzuki GS1100ES - "Jolene"

Tags
rps, street, tao tao, tbr7. hawk 250