Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Media/Reviews/Classifieds/Sponsors > Reviews
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2011, 11:35 AM   #1

Scorpion Replacment Batteries and BatteryStuff.com Review-A+

I have four Japanese motorcycles.I used to run the standard replacement flooded lead acid battery.I was constantly let down by these batteries and they were expensive,$80 to $200.I could let my bike sit for a month and the battery would be completely dead.Even the new ones did this.When I would test and tune my bike on the stand,I could get 2 or 3 starts before the battery would start lagging.I was replacing the batteries after a year of use.I was constantly checking and filling the batteries with water.(I only use distilled water)When late fall arrived, I would bring the batteries in so they wouldn't freeze over winter.A couple years I ran trickle chargers on the batteries over winter, and still had battery issues.So I decided I wouldn't trickle charge over winter and just charge the batteries before the first ride in spring.Either way I tried, I still had weak or dead batteries.A member on another forum mentioned how the Scorpion AGM batteries are holding up compared to stock replacement batteries.So I decided to give them a try.They are cheaper than stock replacements,they don't blow acid laced water all over the bike,they're freeze resistant,don't require water to be added,and they hold up to vibration better.

For my application,it cost me $54 for a Scorpion AGM replacement battery, shipped to my door ready to run.I got the battery back in early spring of this year(2011).I installed it and it started my bike better than any battery I have ever had.Even during my bench tuning,the battery never showed signs of draining or loosing power.After sitting for a month,the battery starts just like new.I have not need to recharge or jump start since I installed this battery.With the stock replacements,I would have already been up to three or four recharges by now.By now everyone is probably suspecting that my bikes have charging problems.Nope.That was the first thing I checked after having my first new battery die on me a few years back.I went through all of my bikes charging systems.I cleaned connections and used dielectric grease on the connectors.What would be the odds of four bikes all having bad charging systems?Near zero I think.Since I installed the Scorpion,I have had zero problems.I can ride without worrying if I'm gonna have to jump start or roll start my bike.I highly recommend these batteries.

I bought my battery from http://www.batterystuff.com/ and this is the battery that fits all my bikes. http://www.batterystuff.com/powerspo...sYT10L-A2.html You can also look up or search by battery number.I put my order in online without and issues.In three days I had my battery in my hands.They sell batteries for anything you would need or want a battery for.They also have all the accessories you could ever want and some you didn't even know existed.

Here is some info on battery types just in case some may not know the differences.

Nearly all motorcycles and cars come new with flooded lead acid batteries.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead%E2%80%93acid_battery

AGM is a newer style battery that quite a few people choose to use as a replacement.I have in my vehicles and motorcycles.The wiki explains why the AGM battery is superior.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VRLA_ba..._mat_.28AGM.29

Old 07-10-2011, 01:25 AM   #2

Thank you for posting the nice review, Ben. Last year I ordered a Scorpion YTZ7S battery from BatteryStuff, and it arrived dead. :( BatteryStuff quickly shipped me a replacement Scorpion battery, but it died completely after one month of riding. :roll: At that point, I upgraded to a Motocross/Yuasa battery for the price difference. I didn't have much luck with the two Scorpion batteries, but I am very pleased with the customer service I received from BatteryStuff! It sounds as if you are having much better luck with the Scorpion YT10L-A2 batteries. Please keep us updated on the durability of these batteries as the miles roll by.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 07-10-2011, 03:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider
Thank you for posting the nice review, Ben. Last year I ordered a Scorpion YTZ7S battery from BatteryStuff, and it arrived dead. :( BatteryStuff quickly shipped me a replacement Scorpion battery, but it died completely after one month of riding. :roll: At that point, I upgraded to a Motocross/Yuasa battery for the price difference. I didn't have much luck with the two Scorpion batteries, but I am very pleased with the customer service I received from BatteryStuff! It sounds as if you are having much better luck with the Scorpion YT10L-A2 batteries. Please keep us updated on the durability of these batteries as the miles roll by.

Spud
Everyone I have talked to that used batterystuff had a really good experience with them.Must have gotten a bad batch of those Scorpion batteries.Anything is possible with mass production.

Old 07-18-2011, 03:06 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider

Spud
Everyone I have talked to that used batterystuff had a really good experience with them.Must have gotten a bad batch of those Scorpion batteries.Anything is possible with mass production.
I agree on all points, Ben.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894