Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Media/Reviews/Classifieds/Sponsors > Reviews
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2012, 12:29 AM   #1

Gio Pocket Dirt Bike Review

I bought this little machine for my son and I can say that this thing will get some use.

Came shipped with about 99% of the required parts (missing the front # plate bracket). There were no assembly instructions but anyone with even the slightest mechanical ability can put it together easily. Took me about 45 minutes with help from a 4 year old and 6 year old (so probably 30 min on my own).

Once put together I filled the tank with some 91 octane gas mixed with Lucas Oil Synthetic 2 stroke oil at the factory recommended 25:1. Now this is where a warning would have been nice.

When starting the bike make sure you squeeze the back brake. If not it will take off on you. There is no transmission so to speak so when the RPM are high enough it the clutch kicks in (or out whatever the case may be) and the bike takes off. Scared the crap out of me. THIS WILL HAPPEN WHEN THE CHOKE IS ON!!!

Starting the bike is easy. I have a habit of turning off the fuel flow and running the machine down every time I put it away. Starting it up takes no more than 2 pulls after turning the fuel flow on again. It also came with an in line filter from the petcock to carb.

I tinkered with the idle a bit to bring it down to a level where the clutch stays engaged (or disengaged whatever makes it NOT move). I then took it for a burn and man I tell you it screams.......I'm 220lbs and it took me down the block right quick.

Brakes are a little bit of a pain to adjust but they are effective when properly adjusted. Throttle response is swift and predictable. Actually a little easier to finesse than expected. It's a great machine on which to teach throttle control to a little one.

Aesthetically the bike is magnificent. I love the aggressive suspension angle, black wheels and mean looking graphics. The great big shock absorber on the back gives a lot to the Look Cool Factor. The big disc rotors and calipers make it look like a mean little super moto. The tail pipe has it's own appeal - wish it was on my bike! My only complaint on this front is the rear reflectors. They are directly behind the pipe. This makes the exhaust blow back on to the rider when stationary. It would be best if removed completely.

All in all I am very pleased with the machine. I mounted the supplied training wheels today for my son only to build his confidence. He can ride without them but going from a crf 50 to this is night and day. It sits taller and has much more quick acceleration. I'll keep them on for a couple more rides until he's more comfy.

I'll post some pics once I figure out how.

Old 04-04-2012, 12:47 AM   #2

Neat review.

There's a tutorial on posting pics pinned here somewhere...

I had 2 Chinese 50cc 2 stroke pitbikes a couple of summers ago. They were a lot of fun and quite fast. Delicate little things though. I hard a tough time keeping both going at the same time. My friends, their kids, and I had a lot of fun on them when they ran though. 8)

Most problems were fuel leaks, cracked fuel tanks, flat tires (I plugged it, they're tubeless!), non-functional petcocks, carb issues, bodywork cracks easily and likes to melt, etc. :?

All minor stuff. I got mine pre-abused so you may have better luck if you take care of yours.

I enjoyed mine for a year or so and sold them for more than I paid for them. I picked a day when they were both running to sell them! :P

Old 04-04-2012, 01:15 AM   #3

Here's some pics of it along with my 08 Zong

http://s1105.photobucket.com/albums/...My%20machines/

It's a mean looking machine.

Old 04-04-2012, 01:56 AM   #4

How to share your photos

Did you try the throttle limiting trick?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-04-2012, 01:28 PM   #5

I haven't yet. When it's in the grass and dirt it seems he has an easy time controlling the throttle anyway. It may be fine as it is right now. I'll let him ride a little more and see then.

My son isn't a full throttle kind of kid. He's very cautious.