Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Media/Reviews/Classifieds/Sponsors > Video and Pics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2017, 05:08 PM   #1

Bulldog Canyon 11-23

Big hill trouble at ~20, and slow tire slide out at ~25.

Overall a pretty rough road coming from the south side, but a fun ride. Was about 50 miles total (also went out to the lake).

Found out it does not like sand..at all, and hills are a pain haha. Any advise on what break pads to get for that squeak? Im gonna pick up some break cleaner in the next day or so to see if that helps. The pad itself looks like it has plenty of extra space.

Old 11-23-2017, 05:47 PM   #2

That squeak is likely from the pads being glazed. Take the pads off and lay some 400 to 800 grit sand paper flat on a table and very lightly rub the pad surface across it until the shine is gone. You arent looking to shave the pads down, just remove the gloss from the surface, which doesnt take much. Then clean the pads and rotor with the brake clean and give them a run in.

Old 11-23-2017, 11:35 PM   #3

Have you done any carb adjustments yet (pilot screw, idle speed, jetting, etc.)?

Also check for restrictions in the exhaust header (welds on the inside and the engine to header gasket)... you should make it up those steep hills on these little engines... we do similar off road rides out here and we are starting our ride around 5,000 - 6,000 feet and end over 12,000... probably have 30% less power at these altitudes

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 11-24-2017, 12:19 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReconOne View Post

Big hill trouble at ~20, and slow tire slide out at ~25.

Overall a pretty rough road coming from the south side, but a fun ride. Was about 50 miles total (also went out to the lake).

Found out it does not like sand..at all, and hills are a pain haha. Any advise on what break pads to get for that squeak? Im gonna pick up some break cleaner in the next day or so to see if that helps. The pad itself looks like it has plenty of extra space.

Looks like a good challenge for my hawk 250.

Old 11-24-2017, 02:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
That squeak is likely from the pads being glazed. Take the pads off and lay some 400 to 800 grit sand paper flat on a table and very lightly rub the pad surface across it until the shine is gone. You arent looking to shave the pads down, just remove the gloss from the surface, which doesnt take much. Then clean the pads and rotor with the brake clean and give them a run in.
Thanks I'll give that a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhule View Post
Have you done any carb adjustments yet (pilot screw, idle speed, jetting, etc.)?

Also check for restrictions in the exhaust header (welds on the inside and the engine to header gasket)... you should make it up those steep hills on these little engines... we do similar off road rides out here and we are starting our ride around 5,000 - 6,000 feet and end over 12,000... probably have 30% less power at these altitudes
No adjustments yet fully stock. This was the first time taking it out really, other then a few rides in the neighborhood. I have a new carb coming with the jet kits so ill be doing that tomorrow. Is there a video or guide on what you mean by the restrictions?

Old 11-24-2017, 03:59 PM   #6

A few pics I took a while back is the best I can do...

Usual Exhaust Header Gasket from China is on the left... looks like a soda can cut up and crumpled like a slinky... I replaced it with a Honda gasket seen on the right

And a pic of the exhaust header "welding" restrictions (not counting the welding restrictions near the "catalytic converter")... grind/file it down, make it slightly bigger and actually "round" shaped, job is done... back pressure reduced a wee bit... on our bike I was able to go from a 21mm opening up to about 26 or 27mm (about 30% bigger) just by removing the excess/mountain welds on the inside of the pipe

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 12-07-2017, 03:00 PM   #7

Update:

Went back to bulldog the next day, and the last saturday and went the other way and it is MUCH more fun ride. Lot more smooth roads where you can easily cruise 20-30mph at times. About 2-3 big hills.

I always start at Wolverine entry. Red section is the super rocky/bumpy/ from that video. Blue parts are the fun fun parts. Yellow is pretty much a mile or so of wash...not much fun (may be easier now with the new carb/jets). The AA pit looks pretty sweet (that little cut out makes you go around, has a sign saying no motor vehicles, but there is a bon fire pit down there. It also looked like there are some dirt jumps/extra stuff outside of the canyon i wanted to hit, but it was getting dark.

Wolverine to AA pit is about a 30 minute ride going decently fast..so its a nice and quick ride. Ill have to see if my footage from the last two times came out, and get that video ride, or ill do another ride this weekend or so and get it. Either way, blue sections are super fun. GOnna have to try that willow section sometime to see how that looks.

NGK (2202) DPR8EIX-9 Iridium IX Spark Plug
RAM U-Bolt Mount
Pair of stealth style rearview mirrors

Old 12-11-2017, 11:51 AM   #8

Shortened version sped up

Longer full version
NGK (2202) DPR8EIX-9 Iridium IX Spark Plug
RAM U-Bolt Mount
Pair of stealth style rearview mirrors