Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3

Old 11-11-2017, 01:25 AM   #1

Heated grips....NICE!

I have a heated jacket liner and glove liners but the glove liners aren't very comfortable...bulky with over gloves. So I decided to get some heated grips and did a bunch of research. I finally decided on the Oxford Heaterz Premium Adventure Heated Grips. I liked the look of the grip, the mount for the control and the fact that you just wire it directly to your battery and the smart controller will monitor the battery and shut down the heat if the battery gets low or if it doesn't detect any engine power noise on the line after 20 minutes. I found them on eBay for $70 with free shipping. Installation took a few hours. I was able to stuff the wires under the ignition shroud and the install looks clean. They get HOT on high and heated up quickly. I took a ride on the freeway and it's 36 degrees out and on high my hands were toasty warm...actually too warm, I had to turn them down. I had all my farkles turned on during the ride and monitored my battery level and the stator was keeping up just fine.

Hope this info is helpful.

Joe

Old 11-11-2017, 08:37 AM   #2

Nicely done, Joe.

Living half the year in FL, I never thought I needed heated gear.....until I bought a bike with heated grips.

I find I use them regularly to take off the early morning chill, and also find I use my heated vest more than I thought I would.

jb

Old 11-11-2017, 09:13 AM   #3

What was the issue with the csc heated grips? Overpriced?
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 11-11-2017, 11:20 AM   #4

Yes, heated grips are definitely useful. I installed a set of KOSO AM111030 grips on my RX3. Currently $126 on Amazon, paid $116 at the time that I got my first set. Just ordered another set to install on the TT250.

The higher price is due to the fact that they feature an integrated heat controller in the left grip, so the install looks OEM clean, without a separate controller attached to the handlebars. You can see them here:

https://www.amazon.com/Koso-AM111030...&keywords=koso

They put out plenty of heat, with 5 levels to choose from, each color coded differently so you can tell at a glance what they are set on. They also have the low battery shut off feature. Combined with a set of Oxford Rain Seal Handlebar covers, I can ride rain or shine down into the 20's F, which is about my limit on the bikes in the winter. The covers alone let me ride down into the mid 30's F for about an hour with my summer gloves (Scorpion SG3's), but then I need a little heat.

Old 11-11-2017, 11:30 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfla View Post
I find I use them regularly to take off the early morning chill, and also find I use my heated vest more than I thought I would.

jb
Yep, even in the summer I use mine on level one or two. I ride a lot in the evening, with temps in the 60-70's F, which teaches you about wind chill in a hurry. I also love my heated vest. I don't need the heat on the RX3 due to the excellent wind protection, I just use it for another layer and the collar shields my neck from the wind. The TT250, on the other hand, is another story altogether. No wind protection on that beast, so I click on the heat.

Old 11-11-2017, 01:05 PM   #6

Couple of reasons I didn’t do the bikemaster ones from CSC. Price was about the same with shipping. Controller needs bar space where on the Oxford it uses the same space as the mirror clamp mount and finally the wiring setup. Bikemaster is connected to switched power and the Oxford is not.

Old 11-11-2017, 01:06 PM   #7

I like the look of those Koso ones and saw them on Amazon when researching but wanted to save the money with the Oxford ones

Old 11-12-2017, 10:20 PM   #8

https://www.ebay.com/i/271762731742?chn=ps&dispctrl=1 Put these over your heated grips. NICE! Not Hippo Hands, but a LOT cheaper.

Some of my winter rides used to be remote, so I was warned not to rely on heated gear for remote rides. A failure on a cold remote ride kills folks every winter. I have cheap Chinese heaters on a couple bikes, but they are covered with Hippo Hands. Together, most any waterproof gloves will do. Lots more comfy than heavy, bulky, expensive insulated gloves.

Chemical warmers make a good back up. Different warmers make different heat, the hotter ones expire faster, the smaller ones expire faster, but some moderate heaters can last for 10-12 hours. Very nice when matched to conditions. Too hot can be insulated between clothing layers or vented, too cold is still better than no heat at all.

Old 11-13-2017, 05:19 PM   #9

Thanks for posting this. I have full handguard on my RX3 with the plastic shields and it doesn't look like these mitts would fit with those installed. They also don't look to have the openings for mirrors. I've also been using chemical hand/toes/foot warmers for years. I keep a case of them around for various adventures including moto camping when it's very cold. I put one on my chest and another inside a stocking cap to help me sleep better.

Old 11-13-2017, 08:37 PM   #10

They may or may not fit over the plastic part of the hand guards, but if they don't the plastic part can be removed and the muff kept away from the hand levers by the metal part of the guard.

For mirror mount holes, a pocket knife would probably do the job. The edges can be hit with a soldering pencil or a butane lighter to prevent fraying.

They're only twenty bucks, very possibly worth the gamble.

Old 11-14-2017, 05:47 PM   #11

Cheap rubber boots also make good hand guards. Not even Hippo Hands, top of the line, fit anything perfect. There is always some leakage and dripping and such. Trick is keeping the leaks off your sensitive parts.

No, not those parts, you perverts.

Old 11-15-2017, 12:11 PM   #12

Argh, as I scrolled down I saw the last part of your comment and it killed what I was going to say! Perversion aversion!

Old 11-15-2017, 12:53 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqwert View Post
Cheap rubber boots also make good hand guards. Not even Hippo Hands, top of the line, fit anything perfect. There is always some leakage and dripping and such. Trick is keeping the leaks off your sensitive parts.
No, not those parts, you perverts.
Yeah, at my age there is pretty much always some leakage and dripping.
That's why they usually have me ride Sweep.

Old 11-15-2017, 01:38 PM   #14

Figured.

Old 11-20-2017, 07:39 PM   #15

I ended up ordering these: http://www.obradvgear.com/index.php/...duro-grip-mitt. Fit excellent on my RX3 with the full wrap handguards and plastics still one. Don't block any controls, are semi-rigid so easy to put hand in and out and work while standing. Price was pretty good at $50 and $13.50 for shipping. Ordered on Friday and had them today.

Joe