Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2017, 10:57 PM   #1

RX3 won't start and I can't figure out why......

After the Bike sitting in the garage for a few months I pulled it out and tried to fire it up. Dead battery... so I put it on a trickle charge for a day and she fired right up. Took it out for trip around the neighborhood and it was running perfectly! Put her back in the garage for the night, went to pull it out in the morning and it was acting as if the battery was low and wouldn't fire off. so I recharged the battery completely an 8 solid hours of charging. Put it back in the bike and the starter is cranking hard! The battery definitely has the power to start the Bike but it won't turn over... I even hooked it up to jumper cables and my truck... it was getting plenty of juice but the Bike won't turn over.. it just cranks and cranks but it won't light off... I checked the plug, it's good, I checked the voltage from the battery it's good, it just won't turn over and I don't know where else to look.... anyone have any ideas?

Old 10-19-2017, 11:52 PM   #2

Spark at plug?

/

Old 10-20-2017, 01:10 AM   #3

When you have the key on and the red kill switch in the on position do you hear the fuel pump come on for a few seconds and then stop?

Have you gone through the procedure to pull up any engine codes?

Joe

Old 10-20-2017, 01:30 AM   #4

The battery voltage may be good, but a load test will tell you its true condition. Take it to an auto parts store and have them load test it, just to be sure.

2016 CanAm Spyder F3-L

Old 10-20-2017, 10:54 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZRider View Post
The battery voltage may be good, but a load test will tell you its true condition. Take it to an auto parts store and have them load test it, just to be sure.
....and of course, loose battery terminals can cause all kinds of weird symptoms in an EFI unit.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 11-19-2017, 02:54 PM   #6

Ok sorry it took so long to get back to you all.

1st replaced the battery the other one was toast.
2nd replaced the spark plug the old one was very dirty.
3rd yes the fuel pump is spooling up every time I turn the key over.
It turns and turns and turns but it won't light off.
Every 5th or 6th time I try to start it, it will turn over and sputter then die. The rest of the time the starter just turns and turns..

There is gas in the bike and I've checked all the connections I have no idea where else to look...

This is getting beyond frustrating...

Old 11-19-2017, 03:39 PM   #7

I’m no mechanic, but are you getting strong spark to the wire, and maybe a fuel line is kinked under the tank. You either aren’t getting spark or gas, if it sputters and dies. I’d disconnect the fuel line, and turn the key on, see if you’re getting pressure. I’m sure there’s a tool for this, but sometimes you just gotta make do with what you’ve got at hand.

Old 11-19-2017, 05:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventureDad View Post
...." and maybe a fuel line is kinked under the tank.........
I was thinking the same thing.

During one of my many valve checks, I remounted the gas tank with the fuel line kinked.

The engine would turn over and over but not start.

I thought there may be a fuel tip-over switch that was triggered when I removed the tank (there isn't).

Called CSC, and Gerry put me on to the kinked fuel line.

Removed the tank, straightened the fuel line, and the engine started right up.

jb

Old 11-19-2017, 11:49 PM   #9

That is something I will definitely look at. I'll take off the fuel tank in the morning and see if there's a pinched or kinked line. However I haven't taken off the fuel tank in over 1000 miles so I'm not so sure that's the issue. But it dang sure can't hurt to check! At this point I have no idea what else to do.....

Old 11-20-2017, 07:44 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX3James View Post
That is something I will definitely look at. I'll take off the fuel tank in the morning and see if there's a pinched or kinked line. However I haven't taken off the fuel tank in over 1000 miles so I'm not so sure that's the issue.....
Probably not.

My no-start happened immediately after remounting the tank.

jb

Old 11-20-2017, 12:02 PM   #11

Could it be that the fuel has gone bad. I mean started separating and the varnish has affected the injectors? Maybe fresh fuel with injector cleaner. Maybe a shot of starter fluid in the air box to kick start the process of starting up

Old 11-20-2017, 01:33 PM   #12

Iam also thinking the injector should be looked at. If the bike tried to start using starter fluid that would be a big clue.

Old 11-20-2017, 05:13 PM   #13

I have exact the same problem, and think that it's clogged fuel injector, too. I'm new here. can anyone point me to how to clean fuel injector in 2015 RX3. Thanks

Old 11-20-2017, 08:01 PM   #14

I don't have anything specific for the RX3 and I've never done a manual cleaning of one but this video is pretty good. Focused on a BMW but would seem to me to be the same process:
Looks like it would require building a small rig shown in the video. Beyond that I'd give a call to Gerry at CSC as he's awesome to speak with. Or, a new one looks to be $82.80. http://www.cscmotorcycles.com/Fuel-I...-p/z35-114.htm I ALWAYS run Lucas upper cylinder lubricant and cleaner in my fuel and then every 4000 miles I run Lucas injector cleaner for a tankful. All in hopes that this never happens!

Joe

Old 11-21-2017, 12:20 PM   #15

Hmmmmmm? Never, ever store a bike with gasohol. Ever. Not matter what you add to the fuel. Some additives may delay separation, but event seen one yet that prevents separation. Real gasoline can sit for years and start right up. Gasohol will be separated in 6 weeks. Or less. The ethanol at the bottom of the tank is then 100% or close to it, and the chemicals to protect fuel systems from damage from ethanol exposure are still floating around in the gasoline, so things rot quick.

I'd suggest before spending any money give everything a good cleaning, then fuel with real, live gasoline. That will probably fix your fuel problem if fuel is the problem.