Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2016, 10:01 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
just a thought.....................

Is there a preasure relif valve that holds the pressure?

on the XT the pump puts out 90psi but the pressure relief
valve holds the pressure at 48psi to the injector the rest of the fuel
returns to the tank....

Yes, the RX3 fuel pump has a pressure relief valve which holds the pressure at 36 psi for the fuel injector. The rest of the fuel is returned to the fuel tank.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-16-2016, 12:19 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
What battery did you purchase, and where did you buy it?
Spud,
Bit the bullet and went to local USA Honda shop where they had a BikeMaster brand non-spillable battery BTZ12S for $86 plus tax. Fit just like the original. The Wal-Mart AGM one that didn't fit was $72. rj

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BikeMaster-F...dXDzn7&vxp=mtr

Old 04-16-2016, 12:22 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmorel View Post
Today after 6700 miles and a year of ownership my OEM battery finally failed. Got a new one locally cause I wanted to ride this week end. For what it's worth, the $72 Wal-Mart Everstart AGM ES-TX12 will not fit as it's about 1/4" to tall. rj
Just slice 1/4" off the bottom and seal it with Saran Wrap.
You're welcome.

Old 04-16-2016, 12:25 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmorel View Post
Spud,
Bit the bullet and went to local USA Honda shop where they had a BikeMaster brand non-spillable battery BTZ12S for $86 plus tax. Fit just like the original. The Wal-Mart AGM one that didn't fit was $72. rj

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BikeMaster-F...dXDzn7&vxp=mtr
Thanks for posting the link, Rob.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-16-2016, 04:42 PM   #20

first valve adj.

today i became one of many. did my first valve adj. 547 miles it has been running great,if anything they were a little loose thought they would get tighter as they broke in? have been treating it like a baby no hard miles question is if valves have not wore in to seats when should i do next one yes i am afraid this bikes my baby

Old 04-16-2016, 05:27 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by willy dog View Post
today i became one of many. did my first valve adj. 547 miles it has been running great,if anything they were a little loose thought they would get tighter as they broke in? have been treating it like a baby no hard miles question is if valves have not wore in to seats when should i do next one yes i am afraid this bikes my baby
The valves will start to seat more rapidly as you ride more miles at higher rpms.

I have ridden my RX3 for over 13,700 miles, and I check the valve lash every 2,500 miles. It is better to check too often, rather than not to check often enough.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 04-16-2016, 08:25 PM   #22

I changed my sprocket set up today from 13/44 to 14/42
I'll run it tommorow to see how it feels

Old 04-16-2016, 09:42 PM   #23

Got the RX3 Friday. After un-boxing, inspecting the bike, and putting the tags on it I took it for a quick spin around the block. This morning I took the side boxes and rear crash bars off. Then proceeded to put about 50 miles on the bike. Mostly through the local neighborhoods. I wanted a route that gave me a lot of speeding up and slowing down to help with break in. Also wanted a lot of starts and stops as I haven't ridden a bike in a few years and knew I would be a little rusty with the clutch, brakes, and throttle combo. For Florida I live in an area that actually has some changes in elevation so I got to practice stopping on an incline and starting from a stand still. I only stalled the bike out twice which was a lot better then I thought I would do with so much rust. I then found a local church parking lot to practice with the clutch some more. I'm not sure if it's me or the bike, but it felt like the clutch was working much smoother once I got the engine hot and about 40 miles on the clock.

I am hoping to get out in the morning and really put some miles on the RX3. Got to say even though I haven't put too many miles on this bike, I think I am going to love owning it.

I'll have to post some photos of the delivery and final setup.

Old 04-16-2016, 10:32 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleong1967 View Post
I changed my sprocket set up today from 13/44 to 14/42
I'll run it tommorow to see how it feels
That's going to be quite the difference. A 13/44 is an effective 3.39:1 ratio. The 14/42 is a 3.00:1 ratio. You'll likely notice a little slower acceleration from a stop, but the gears will go further and you'll turn fewer RPMs on top. The 14/42 setup is what I am running and I like it pretty well.

Old 04-17-2016, 01:22 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomWeasel View Post
Got the RX3 Friday. After un-boxing, inspecting the bike, and putting the tags on it I took it for a quick spin around the block. This morning I took the side boxes and rear crash bars off. Then proceeded to put about 50 miles on the bike. Mostly through the local neighborhoods. I wanted a route that gave me a lot of speeding up and slowing down to help with break in. Also wanted a lot of starts and stops as I haven't ridden a bike in a few years and knew I would be a little rusty with the clutch, brakes, and throttle combo. For Florida I live in an area that actually has some changes in elevation so I got to practice stopping on an incline and starting from a stand still. I only stalled the bike out twice which was a lot better then I thought I would do with so much rust. I then found a local church parking lot to practice with the clutch some more. I'm not sure if it's me or the bike, but it felt like the clutch was working much smoother once I got the engine hot and about 40 miles on the clock.

I am hoping to get out in the morning and really put some miles on the RX3. Got to say even though I haven't put too many miles on this bike, I think I am going to love owning it.

I'll have to post some photos of the delivery and final setup.
Good for you. We eagerly await your photos.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 04-17-2016, 07:59 AM   #26

new bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
Good for you. We eagerly await your photos.
DITTO !

" Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted." - John Lennon

“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
― Thomas Jefferson

"If you don't know where you're going any road will take you there" ....George Harrison song

Old 04-17-2016, 02:08 PM   #27

I do a little here and there. This is my small fb blog.https://www.facebook.com/My-CSC-Zong...0302595973417/

Lots of pics of my installs as well as my ownership.

Old 04-18-2016, 10:48 AM   #28

I'm in the midst of installing the Progressive upgraded shock from CSC. This is a nice looking peice of kit. While doing this I'm cleaning out and repacking all of the suspension link bearings with grease. I can happily report they are all of the needle bearing type and were all found with adequate grease except the main swing arm bearings; they were effective dry. Well, they aren't dry any more; all bearing have been liberally stuffed with blue Bell Ray waterproof goodness. Just a heads up to those doing and suspension maintance that it is worth pulling the swing arm and checking the bearings.

On a side note has anyone (spud most likely) dropped the triple clamps and inspected the head stock bearings? They are another common place many motorcycle OEMs skimp on the greasy goodness. I'll be doing this when I pull the forks to change the oil to 10wt.

Old 04-18-2016, 03:51 PM   #29

Thanks for posting the caveat regarding the dry bearings in the swingarm. I have not inspected the head stock bearings. Please do keep us updated.

Here is a link to my thread regarding the inspection and lubrication of the lower shock linkage.

http://www.chinariders.net/showthrea...058#post197058

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 04-18-2016, 04:08 PM   #30

My front end had developed a small "notch" near the center (the fact that I miss treated it must be somehow related). I removed the forks and the steering stem and was able to a) verify that the bearings were in fact properly lubricated, anyway I repacked them with grease b) solve, at least temporarily, the notchy issue rotating the lower bearing race 90 degrees. It would be nice to know bearing type and code for those, wich I didn't verify (my job was a somehow quick and nasty operation one sunday evening)