Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3

Old 11-09-2017, 07:38 PM   #661

DO NOT, try to remove the rubber grip on the throttle side. I learned my lesson.

I talked to Gerry yesterday about it, we thought I had broke the plastic throttle insert, but after I took it apart today I found out I had broken off the little plastic nubs that keep that insert from turning.

It would have been cheaper to just cut the grip off like they show in the instructions.

Lesson learned.

Old 11-10-2017, 01:57 AM   #662

Well, that's a whopping ten spot down the drain.
Best part is you learned a lesson AND you shared it here for others.

Old 11-10-2017, 08:15 AM   #663

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay In Milpitas View Post
Well, that's a whopping ten spot down the drain.
Best part is you learned a lesson AND you shared it here for others.
The shipping cost more than the part

Old 11-10-2017, 01:09 PM   #664

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjeff35 View Post
The shipping cost more than the part
Anti-rotation pins are very, very easy to break. Be careful fitting the part back together as well; they're quite brittle (busted one on my Kawi).

Another way you can achieve this is ratchet straps around or near the grips when you transport the bike. It doesn't take much.

Old 11-11-2017, 07:05 PM   #665

Switched out the rear tire for something with a little more gription.

My first time changing a tire. Thank goodness for Youtube!!!

Old 11-20-2017, 06:57 PM   #666

Swapped out my broken throttle switch housing and installed my skid plate today. Ready to ride!

Old 11-28-2017, 07:23 PM   #667

Got a new Shinko 244 for the front yesterday so put it on. Another first for me. Can't wait to go try it out! Found some roads over the weekend NW of me that will be awesome for a nice beginners ride!

Old 11-28-2017, 07:59 PM   #668

I've had great luck with those tires. You'll find that the engine also loosens up after 1-2k miles. I can easily hit redline now with every shift if I choose.

BTW, has anyone noted any mph gain with the rear racks and boxes off? My wife and I took the Jeep to Northern Alabama this weekend for some hiking, and it was about a 3.5 hour awesome twisty backroad to get there. I'd love to ride up there, but still need to hustle at times at 65-70 or get rammed by a logging truck, and dont want that stress with a pillion. We did some two up a week or so ago for a day, and the suspension pounded us. Those simple issues had me dissatisfied with the bike. I suppose I'd put the boxes back on for a moto camping trip anyway, though. I do miss the "get outta here power" of my previous bigger bikes.
Not sure how if a klr would cope much better, other than being too tall and top heavy for me.

ughhh

oh...on topic for this thread... I tightened the rear preload 3 turns from factory, maybe that'll help keep my spine from getting pounded on rough roads. Also slowed the rebound dampening some. We'll see on the next ride. I'll do some dirt.

Old 11-28-2017, 08:08 PM   #669

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventureDad View Post
I've had great luck with those tires. You'll find that the engine also loosens up after 1-2k miles. I can easily hit redline now with every shift if I choose.

BTW, has anyone noted any mph gain with the rear racks and boxes off? My wife and I took the Jeep to Northern Alabama this weekend for some hiking, and it was about a 3.5 hour awesome twisty backroad to get there. I'd love to ride up there, but still need to hustle at times at 65-70 or get rammed by a logging truck, and dont want that stress with a pillion. We did some two up a week or so ago for a day, and the suspension pounded us. Those simple issues had me dissatisfied with the bike. I suppose I'd put the boxes back on for a moto camping trip anyway, though. I do miss the "get outta here power" of my previous bigger bikes.
Not sure how if a klr would cope much better, other than being too tall and top heavy for me.

ughhh

oh...on topic for this thread... I tightened the rear preload 3 turns from factory, maybe that'll help keep my spine from getting pounded on rough roads. Also slowed the rebound dampening some. We'll see on the next ride. I'll do some dirt.
I haven't touched the rear shock yet I need to study up on it

Old 11-28-2017, 08:31 PM   #670

There’s a pretty good sticky or thread on it. I found it the other day using the search function for “rear shock”

Old 12-05-2017, 01:58 PM   #671

I bought my bike a new headlamp assembly as I have the original headlamp with the led strips running on the outside and the blue spot on the bottom....also bought the plug and play LED - plan is to do the swap and install this weekend or next weekend even with the LED spots on the bike, I've had cars not see me so I'm all for more visibility.

Old 12-05-2017, 08:52 PM   #672

Make sure that you invite lots of friends and family over - many hands make light work.

Sorry

2016 CanAm Spyder F3-L

Old 01-25-2018, 08:16 PM   #673

Maintenance Done

I finally finished up most of the winter maintenance on the RX3. The bike got a new rear OEM CST rear tire, the Progressive rear shock, a new air filter and a cleaned and greased rear linkage. I still need to do some re-wiring on the SAE lead, relocating it up to the headstock, but other than that the bike is good to go. Temperature was in the mid 30's and the roads were clear, so I took the bike out to test the new rear shock. I put around 80 miles on it and it seems to be much more compliant than the stock OEM shock unit. I will play with it more down the road to get a better feel for it, but I'm satisfied with it as of now. Definitely worth the $400 I spent.

Also, very happy with my Tourmaster Synergy 2.0 heated vest and KOSO heated grips. Combined with Oxford Rain Seal Grip covers, they really take the bite out of cold weather rides. I did have the RX3's radiators blocked off to keep the operating temperature up, with the right completely blocked and the left at 50%. Running in 5th gear to keep the RPM's @ 7500-8000, the temperature gauge sat at 3 bars the whole ride.

All in all, a good day.

Old 02-13-2018, 07:22 PM   #674

Finally upgrading out of the stock all terrain tires. Got a set of Shinko 244's for $99 with free shipping from Cycle...something. I was gonna have someone else install them but at home, with all your tools, on firm level ground, is the best time to learn how to do your own tire changes right?

Old 02-13-2018, 08:27 PM   #675

Which size front did you get - do you have the 18" or 19" front rim?
IBA#65836

2005 BMW F650gs
2008 Yamaha XT250
2013 Yamaha XT250
2009 Suzuki Gladius