Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2017, 07:16 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay In Milpitas View Post
It is possible. On my commute I used the "fast" lane often, only occasionally being passed by cars blowing by far above the speed limit. I run 70-75 approximately.

Other posters here have shared their rides of >70mph including RJ's SS1000 for an Iron Butt event. As much time as you seem to spend on the RX3 thread I would have thought you knew the bike's capability by now, FFS.
Still have doubts for the hills, and heavyweights. But I don't have a qualified opinion, will let it be known.

On the other hand, the price CANNOT be argued with.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 11-09-2017, 08:22 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSCDude View Post
That's a pretty cool video.
Thanks, Joe! The next one will be much better! I have several ideas and can hardly wait and have begun a loose outline of the trip. One thing I learned from the last trip is planning out every move down to the second is a touch unrealistic and causes undue stress. I'm going to fly by the seat of my pants much more on this next one, which is one reason I'm going to make it a bit longer, so I have more freedom. I'm a draftsman/designer so it's in my nature to have everything laid out. When we go on vacation my wife jokingly asks if I've laid out our plans in AutoCad.

Old 11-10-2017, 01:54 AM   #18

Having spent more than 2 decades I understand planning, precision, scheduling, etc.
And I now avoid it whenever I am able. These days my travels seem to go "Imma head that way until I think it's enough, unless I decide to turn and head to Yonder or Thaddaweigh. At some point I decide to go home, which first requires I learn exactly where the hell I am.

Despite being a member, AAA is not fond of me during my travel moods.

Old 11-10-2017, 08:19 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBike View Post
Still have doubts for the hills, and heavyweights. But I don't have a qualified opinion, will let it be known.

On the other hand, the price CANNOT be argued with.
Not to mention the insurance cost on a 250 is pretty cheap compared to larger CC bikes

Old 11-10-2017, 08:59 PM   #20

75mph is not realistic on any 250 loaded for a trip at high altitude or steep grades at low altitude. 60 is usually doable, if you pack light, but there are grades at altitude you won't even be able to do that.

However, the RX3 is incomparable in a number of ways, assuming you add a couple teeth to the rear wheel sprocket (stock is geared too high) and a 55 watt headlight bulb (stock is 35):

1) With the accessory cushy seat the RX3 is more comfortable to ride than anything in a similar class (honestly, there is nothing else in its class without spending a small fortune), by far. Even a cheap Walmart ATV seat cover makes it as cushy as anything close;

2) All the farkles that cost a small fortune are already on the bike. You may want different details, but most you won't actually NEED;

3) The RX3 is very sensitive to fuel quality. E0 gets about 60mpg loaded on the highway. E10 gets about 50mpg loaded on the highway. That's about 65mph, rolling hills in west Kentucky and northwest Tennessee. Doesn't notice power loss because the bike goes as fast as I want to go even with E10 without full throttle, just use a lower gear.

4) The RX3 has more horsepower than one would expect for its price and purpose, but if you are used to a relatively narrow powerband of a 2-stroke, you'll have no problems.

5) Touring on a small bike requires the discipline to not expect more than the bike is capable of delivering. Light loads, slower speeds, more maintenance compared to bikes 4 or 6 times its displacement. Smell the flowers.

6) The EFI keeps performance up as atmospheric conditions change with altitude and weather.

7) Personal preference: I intend to maximize the brakes before attempting any heavily loaded long trips on steep grades. Cheap peace-of-mind insurance.

Just day rides on my RX3 so far, but I have SS1000, BB1500s, 4000 mile weeks, and lots of shorter stuff on a TW200 with a mod or three, so not really much difference other than twice the cost of an RX3 for back road touring (dirt, gravel, concrete, or asphalt, but a road, not an obstacle course or interstate).

Old 11-13-2017, 03:27 PM   #21

raising link

I see CSC offers a lowering link for the RX3, I wonder if they've considered a raising link for the bike? It has a low seat height, and for those who have the inseam to spare a little extra ground clearance might be nice. I think if I ultimately decide on RX3 I'd most likely lace up a 21" front wheel to improve offroad ability so the extra rear height would be fine.

Old 11-13-2017, 05:32 PM   #22

A couple of things will help raise up the rear end of the bike if you go with the 21" front wheel. The progressive 465 shock makes the bike taller and of course a nice set of knobbies will also help. I have a 19" front wheel but the bike went from a 31.3 standover to 32 1/2 by doing this. Also, one dumb design thing on this bike is the centerstand bracket hands below the skid plate. If you had that cut off you'd gain another 1 1/2" or so.

Old 11-13-2017, 10:11 PM   #23

I saw the way the center stand mounts hang down like that. Definitely not well thought out. Too bad they couldn't extend the skid plate rearward to help glide over those ears. I do like a center stand, though, makes trail flat repair more manageable. I guess the option for raising the rear could be explored by just changing the dogbone length. That will mess with the rising rate ratio, but with such short travel it's not like you're tuning the rear for supercross or something. I had considered if I wanted to pursue the option when the time comes I could remove the dog bones, raise the rear an inch or so and measure the distance and draft a new part and take it to a machine shop.

Old 11-14-2017, 12:43 AM   #24

I've thought for a long time about having an extension made to slope from the skid plate to the center stand hinge to help me get over some of the taller stuff. I've had 3 occasions where I've gotten high centered. But those were all in very extreme environments.

Old 11-15-2017, 01:04 PM   #25

Eness, if you've noticed postings here and on other forums about how well the RX3 deals with dirt lay-downs, you might understand that as long as there is less than 2/3 tank of fuel, the bike can be laid on the "Protection" bars and the wheels easily removed for repair/service.

So the tabs for the center stand *could* be removed if one so chose.

Old 11-15-2017, 03:02 PM   #26

Since the center stand lifts the front, and I have the original style that isn't practical for an individual to use alone because it is a really good example of poor engineering, I fashioned a piece of broom handle to go under the swing arm just in front of the axle on the right side, and support the right side while the side stand supports the left side. I have been thinking through a few ideas to use the same piece of broom handle to hold the front up while on the center stand, and the center stand will then be tossed--it simply won't be needed. Really, I felt such a poorly functioning accessory was more of rip off than anything else.

Old 11-15-2017, 04:22 PM   #27

Actually the centerstand on my bike is right at the balance point of the bike when I have the Tourfella luggage removed. It will sit on the front or rear. When I pull the wheel it put enough weight to hold solid on the other wheel but no so much that I can't easily pull the bike down to align the axle. I've also thought of things like cutting down an aluminum leg of a crutch...one ones that are adjustable and set it up to be the other side of a center stand. but for now I'll just stay with the the stock one unless I start riding more rugged stuff "again".