Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2017, 03:37 AM   #1

Tail Light & Dashboard Light - Help

Hi All

Well, my RX3 is plodding along, generally quite nicely, however, I've now hit a new problem.

The rear tail light does not come on (brake light does), also, the dashboard bulb isn't working either. Is there a particular fuse that links these, or, is it likely the bulb / LED's have given up the ghost?

Thanks

Tony

Old 07-17-2017, 01:32 PM   #2

Seems odd that they'd be connected. I amazed at how few fuses this bike has! Have you seen the wiring diagram? Maybe you can spot the connection there?

Old 07-17-2017, 02:30 PM   #3

Here's a link to the wiring diagram for the lights. (thanks to Spud)

http://www.chinariders.net/showthrea...t=15558&page=2

I see a single circuit for for LED tail and LED running light. Since LEDs have such a long life the most likely cause is bad ground, next would be a loose connection between switch and harness.

Old 07-17-2017, 03:52 PM   #4

Hi

Thanks for that, arrgh, more electrical gremlins

Old 07-17-2017, 05:20 PM   #5

First stop

Entry #8 in pyoungbl message shows that all lights you are talking about share the one connector at the headlight assembly. Perhaps one or two pins just aren't seated (locked) and backed out?

Old 07-17-2017, 05:28 PM   #6

Hi Thankyou, I'll have a look at the connector.

Cheers

Tony

Old 07-23-2017, 03:59 PM   #7

Any update on this? I found out my tail light and brake light both are not working. I just did my valve adjustment 2 days ago, not sure when it went out exactly, but I wonder if pulling the tank may have loosened a wire.

Old 07-23-2017, 05:59 PM   #8

Hi RC

Sorry, I just haven't had the time to look as yet.

Cheers

Tony

Old 08-11-2017, 01:33 PM   #9

Hi All

Well, had a look today, finally, and no joy :-( Certainly nothing obvious, I guess the next stage is to spleit the loom, or take it a garage. I like the bike, but the electrics are a pain, and have put me off getting another Zongshen

Cheers

Tony

Old 08-11-2017, 10:21 PM   #10

Tony, I'd call Jerry at CSC before splitting into the wire loom. Lights that go out are usually way more simple then having to cut into the wiring. If I remember right on this years Baja trip, one of the tail lights lost some of the Leds. I don't know if they are replaced individually or as a group??? Have you been riding in wet weather where moisture may of got into plugins? Let us know when you figure it out. I know I'm rooting for you. rj

Old 09-24-2017, 10:32 AM   #11

Has a big maintenance day today and I finally dug into my issue and solved the problem, at least temporarily. Under the rear seat, remove the plastic cover, and there is a rubber boot surrounding a group of wire connections. Some of the wires had pulled out of the connector so I forced them back in and now all is working.
It doesn't seem to be a loose wire, but the pin connections are not staying in place, so not sure how to give a permanent fix, maybe apply some tape or solder it in. Knowing this, I am not sure for how long this will last in my current riding conditions. When I noticed the lights had gone out I was on the "smooth" roads of Romania. Now you might guess that the roads of Romania are not very smooth, and you would be correct. But compared to the remote Caucus villages of Georgia, Romanian roads are butter. It should get a proper test in the next couple of days as I have to descend back down the road to Tusheti, which was featured as one the worlds most dangerous roads.

Old 09-26-2017, 06:56 PM   #12

RC , if you look at the pins and their connectors, you should be able to see what makes them hold together . Sometimes a pinch with a pair of pliers will make then tighter or bending a part of them will make the friction hold them together. Study them and see how they intended to hold them together tightly. RJ

Old 09-28-2017, 06:23 AM   #13

Thanks for the note on that! If it goes out again I will give a closer inspection and rig a proper fix. But I think it's good for a while, I just gave It over 100km of off-road, including a non-stop 8000' descent, which is most intense day of riding I've ever had- serious arm cramps. And my riding partner confirmed its still working. I even had to stop to tighten my headlight fixture because it vibrated loose.

Old 11-09-2017, 10:53 AM   #14

Hi All. What with work and everything, I hadn't much chance to look at this, however, finally sorted it, the wire had worn at the connector block under the tank, right at the connectior block. so I've bypassed the block for this wire. Anyhow, all light now working as they should, and the wires have bee secured, so, hopefully no more issues !!

Old 11-09-2017, 11:52 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxyeti View Post
Hi All. What with work and everything, I hadn't much chance to look at this, however, finally sorted it, the wire had worn at the connector block under the tank, right at the connectior block. so I've bypassed the block for this wire. Anyhow, all light now working as they should, and the wires have bee secured, so, hopefully no more issues !!
Which wire (color) was it?
Glad you got it sorted.