Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2019, 07:47 PM   #1

What is great about the Progressive Shock?

Most of the farkles and upgrades I have considered and purchased are pretty straight forward. However, I was hoping someone could qualify for me what the advantage is with the Progressive rear shock. From the other threads I have read, it seems clear that everyone thinks it is a big improvement. Spud said it was considerably better on road and off. This is good, but can you guys who have installed this upgrade let me know how it is better? Is this just generally more comfortable? Does it allow for tighter cornering? More stability at speed? Something else?

I’m trying to decide if I want to buy this or not. These days I’m 200 lbs and am using the RX3 about 40% on gravel roads and 60% on pavement. I ride rather conservatively.

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-28-2019, 07:09 AM   #2

As the shock compresses, the spring gets stiffer. With heavier riders or riders with gear aboard, it can prevent the bike from bottoming out. It will also help smooth out the ride at speed over rough roads. I have used progressive springs in the past. They're ok for most people. Setting sag properly will help get the most out of any suspension.

Old 03-28-2019, 10:13 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDukeSix View Post
I’m trying to decide if I want to buy this or not. These days I’m 200 lbs and am using the RX3 about 40% on gravel roads and 60% on pavement. I ride rather conservatively.

Thanks in advance.
First, I don't have the Progressive shocks on either RX3, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.
I've had Progressive shocks on other bikes. Quality brand of shock, for sure. Like you, I ride 40% gravel road and 60% pavement and also ride conservatively. The Progressive (brand) shock is very expensive so I messed with my stockers continuously until I was basically happy with them for my riding style.

If i rode more aggressively, or on far more challenging terrain, I might have gone with the Progressive shock upgrade. I do remember one thing. The original Progressive shock CSC was pedaling was too stiff for more folks. I don't know what spring rates they offer now. Maybe some of the old-time RX3 guys can chime in.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 03-28-2019, 01:32 PM   #4

The OEM shock only comes with one spring rate so it either fits your body weight or it doesn't. Mostly it's way too stiff for many of us. The actual shock itself is built down to a price point and, if it is adjustable at all, only has limited adjustability. You will not get great dampening with the OEM shock due to cheap valves and overall cheap construction. The Progressive brand (not to be confused with progressive springs) offers better shock valving and overall better quality parts. You can rebuild the Progressive shock, not so the OEM. My Progressive shock from CSC came with a spring that was too stiff. I swapped out for a softer spring. Now CSC offers a range of springs. Personally, the Progressive shock was worth the investment. The ride is more compliant to the road surface, both dips in the road and potholes. When I do hit a bump the shock tends to absorb the bump less harshly than OEM thus the ride is more comfortable.

Old 03-28-2019, 10:02 PM   #5

I ran Progressive shocks on race bikes for years. Race speeds were typically double to triple plus what I ride these days. Excellent adjustability and the progressive springs I used provided a soft ride over the small stuff and stiffened considerably to avoid bottoming on the big stuff. Such excessive capabilities are not necessary for me for a pleasant ride these days. That's kind of like spending $12,000 on composite framed competition bicycle to ride to school saving 16 pounds over a steel frame, with an 18 pound lock and chain to make sure it is there when you get back. For all out racing, Progressive is a good way to go. For most anything else, overkill.

I've always been able to find a spring shop wherever that could measure the rate and travel of a particular spring and manufacture a progressive spring for me that was a much smoother ride on the small stuff and provided the same, more, or less weight capacity before bottoming on the rough stuff, whichever I wanted. That's really all a progressive spring does, and since shock dampning is linear, a progressive spring will almost always by out of adjustment to the dampning. Again, for all out racing, a good way to go. Not much to gain at reasonable speeds.

However, the stock RX3 shock and spring is so superior to most anything short of a few premium bikes that cost 4 to 6 times as much I don't even see a progressive spring as a worthwhile investment, much less a Progressive shock. Especially on a motorcycle with such a stupid seat.

Old 08-23-2021, 12:36 AM   #6

Does anyone know the specs of the CSC Progressive shock? I basically want to order exactly what CSC is selling, but 3/4" longer. This is to prevent rubbing my big knobby tires on the inner fender and airbox.

Charles.