Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
View Poll Results: Which Zong tank plastic do you prefer?
Factory Tank Plastic 26 47.27%
3-Fin Tank Plastic Mod 2 3.64%
2-Fin Tank Plastic Mod 2 3.64%
No-Fin Tank Plastic Mod 5 9.09%
Clarke 4.1 Gallon Fuel Tank 20 36.36%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-27-2009, 12:28 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider
I believe that Weldangrind is also correct on another matter. It is time for me to thoroughly explore the aftermarket fuel tank options before I proceed with painting the YamaZong’s fuel tank. Therefore, the YamaZong will remain in its present condition until I decide either to go with an aftermarket fuel tank, or to paint the current fuel tank.

I believe my best chance for success is to choose the 4.1 gallon (it’s really a 3.5 gallon) Clarke fuel tank designed for the Yamaha XT225. I have experimented with the stock Yamaha XT225 fuel tank, and I believe I can make it fit the YamaZong with only slight modifications. If the Clarke fuel tanks fits, I will decide how it looks mated to the Zong’s plastics and saddle. I will then choose either to remain with the Clarke tank, or paint the Zong’s fuel tank. I will document my work with the Clarke fuel tank in another thread.

Therefore, I have a new question. What color should I order for the Clarke XT225 fuel tank?

http://www.justgastanks.com/store/in...oducts_id=1091

I believe my best choices are black, white, or natural/clear.
Spud
That tank look's nice , I am interested to see it on. Look's like it will be a very easy install, do you think you will even need to modify anything? Also, just something to note, I would never advise you to paint that clarke tank. Any motorcycle tanks other than metal, actually very slightly expands and contracts in heat/cold and vapors are constantly being released through the polycarbonate plastic. I have seen many, many (to many ) people try and paint those, they always look good at first, but in a month or two no matter what you do it will be flaking off in chunks.

I looked at Clarke's website and it says you can order them in special color's as well at no extra charge, just no returning it if you do not like it, just thought I would mention this. link-->http://www.clarkemfg.com/faqs.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
Personally I'd ask Desert Rider if he'd paint the parts for you. I bet he'd do a better job than an automotive paint shop. I'd also much rather pay him than Maaco.

BTW, Desert Rider, if you're interested I might ask if you could paint an old GS 750 that I've restored... 8)

WHAT EVER YOU DO, DO NOT GO TO MACCO I have seen many car's painted by them, you will be sorry you ever went there, they only have a 6 month warranty on there paint job's, wonder why :roll: and it will cost you twice as much to fix their mess now 8O.

I would be more than happy to paint whatever you have. I have a lot going on right now though and am booked solid for qwite a'while right now. Maybe through this fall/winter ? Also, since we are close enough, I would prefer to ship nothing as thing's could get damaged. PM me to discuss this further if you are interested.